Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your weekly grocery Bill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Greyfox

€70 a week for myself, it's mad that aiming to eat healthy is a fair bit more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

160 per week split between Aldi and Tesco. Two adults, a 7yr old and 9yr old and a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

€20 a week each on groceries? Do yiz eat out/get takeaways a lot?

Around €150 for 3 of us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

About €70 - €80 a week. 2 adults 1 child. Shop in Lidl. Would usually be a few beers for us and treats/magazines for the child in that too. Ze German supermarkets are a godsend a.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

For myself and pets (I swear they are the most expensive part) between 50-70 a week. I like to cook so make most from scratch and have a take-away once a week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

About €300 per week for family of 5, three small kids. I get what people say about veg being cheap but fruit is not, especially berries. For 100+ meals a week and snacks I don’t think that’s too bad. Will probably manage better when the schools are back and the kids are older

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Greyfox wrote: »
    €70 a week for myself, it's mad that aiming to eat healthy is a fair bit more expensive

No it’s not.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Jimi H

Probably average €50 - €60. In weeks where I cook a lot it’s a lot less. Got a massive bag of fruit and veg yesterday in my green grocers for €20 which does me the week. Then just pick up the staples which are also very cheap. It’s only the pre packaged foods or beer that is expensive for me. I don’t eat meat so I think shopping is probably a lot less for me than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

That's some going. What's your secret?

Aldi shop, no alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

For 2 Adults most weeks €80-130.

If we are in Aldi only its near the €80 mark , if we need to call to supervalu for a handful of things its nearer the €130 mark for the week.

We are working at home at the moment so this would cover the vast majority of our 3 meals a day.

Evening Takeout or meal out would be circa once a month. We may get a salad or a sandwich for lunch out about once a week.

What really bulks up the cost of the shop would be weeks where we get 1. Alcohol 2.Chocolate 3.Top Quality Steaks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Used to spend less but in lockdown started shopping at SuperValu. Have to say, I prefer the proper brands for a lot of things, compared to the own brands well, there’s no comparison really. Used to do big shop in Aldi but no more. Average would be around 200 a week mark for 5 of us, some weeks a bit more as I do a meat shop at the butchers and freeze for 2 weeks.
    I find I spend more as 4 of us are at home 247 since March and the kids are termites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I find this thread fascinating.

Weekly online Tesco shop + butchers €160/€170 maximum for 2 adults and 3 kids under 7 in this house. Anything more than that and we would waste food. I plan all dinners at the beginning of the week, cook from scratch and breakfasts/lunches are generally the same. Alcohol would be an extra on top and we have a cat and dog too, I buy their food monthly at the pet shop.

I spend way less since moving to online shopping. Centre aisle of Aldi/Lidl would add at least €50 on some weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Bill for 2 of us usually comes to around €55-60 including top ups of bread/milk etc during the week.

We normally do a dinner meal plan before the big shop and add anything extra in for the house at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Two adults and two kids ,circa 120 per week, few extras in between probably add a further ten euro ,im gluten intolerant which adds cost

Doesn't include cost of nappies

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Greyfox wrote: »

I actually think that's a myth to be honest.

Not having a go at you but it's normally said by people with poor eating habits.

It's as quick, easy and cheap to make a healthy meal nowadays.

Vegetables are very cheap here and if you eat meat you can always get bargains and multiipack offers.

Only last week I prepared a dish with hake, chorizo and cannelini beans. All healthy (chorizo was small amount). I'd say it cost me €6 for everything and I got two dinners out of it.

Lots of other dishes I make I can get 3-4 dinners out of. Spaghetti Bolognese with sauce made from scratch not jar.
    A chicken thigh dish with honey, wholegrain mustard and spinach and potatoes. Put in oven for 35 minutes. I'd get 3 dinners from that and would again cost me about €5-€6.
    There's just a few examples but all are with helathy fresh ingredients, easy to make, tasty and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

2 adults. Approx €120 per week, half that is wine & beer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

€50 a week for 2. Every 2 weeks we buy a family pack of meat from the butcher (€35)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

Neames wrote: »
    2 adults and one 12 year old child

€150 a week on average

Snap to all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Digs wrote: »
    I plan all dinners at the beginning of the week, cook from scratch and breakfasts/lunches are generally the same. .

I think this is a major factor in the differences in costs in the thread. Along with whether you buy lots of pre-made food, snacks and where you shop.

Not judging obviously, just that it definitely goes a good way towards explaining the differences

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Greyfox

murpho999 wrote: »
    I actually think that's a myth to be honest.

Not having a go at you but it's normally said by people with poor eating habits.

It's as quick, easy and cheap to make a healthy meal nowadays.

Definitely not a myth. Lots of healthy stuff like fruit, salmon, steak and nuts can be expensive, my diet is very good at the moment but overall Its quicker and easier to go for cheap processed crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You can buy health meals at a reasonable price I find however some people can make the Sunday Chicken cover the Sunday Dinner, sandwiches the next day, make some soup from it and then maybe a Curry also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

You can buy health meals at a reasonable price I find however some people can make the Sunday Chicken cover the Sunday Dinner, sandwiches the next day, make some soup from it and then maybe a Curry also.

Kebab and chips this evening. Twas mostly vegetables sure with a bit of grilled chicken and bread. €8. Who said eating healthy was expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Yep this is true, I’ve a hungry mob and even though I cook large dinners, there wouldn’t be enough for the next day and tbh Id hate eating something two days in a row, just boring to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

me and my 3 dogs and 1 horse 90 per week no alcohol and very little meat for me but fresh meat for the dogs also loads of sweet potatoes carrots and celery for the dogs they do well. i cook from scratch stir frys curries veggie meals all healthy no take aways or processed food. buy various mineral licks etc for the horse hes on grass mostly except in winter then stabled rugged and fed bale of hay 25 euro lasts five weeks ish bag of feed 11 euro lasts 10 days and carrots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Spend about E200 a week not including alcohol which would be an extra E100 or so. Two of us in the house and I like to cook from scratch. Not living in Ireland so groceries are expensive compared to home. A small box of Bran Flakes cost E6 today in the weekly shop for example, don't really care as income is higher to reflect the difference in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

About €100 for two including two bottles of wine & a crate of Coke Zero.
    It was €130 today though because we needed some household products.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

fussyonion wrote: »
    About €100 for two including two bottles of wine & a crate of Coke Zero.
    It was €130 today though because we needed some household products.

bread soda is an amazing cleaner for loos sinks etc, white vinegar for the fridge a few savings there 1 big bag lasts forever !

A small box of Bran Flakes cost E6 today in the weekly shop for example.

Seems really expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Seems really expensive?

Yes it is. But I don't live in Ireland so it's all relative.

• Advertisement

But I don't live in Ireland so it's all relative.

Sorry, I misread :o

Advertisement