Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etihad vouchers, 33% off flights

Options
  • 15-06-2020 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭

This seems a good deal for anyone planning to fly long haul over the next 2 years. Offer expires June 24th.
    Your dream holiday could be closer than you think with an Etihad Travel Voucher. Choose an amount from $250 up to $65,000, and we’ll add 50% to the value of your voucher for free. So, if you buy a voucher worth $1,000, you’ll have $1,500 to spend on your next trip. Simple.

The value of your voucher will be added to a Travel Bank account, which you can use to pay for flights or extra for your friends or family. Once the funds have reached your Travel Bank account, they cannot be refunded or transferred to another account.

You can buy an Etihad Travel Voucher to pay for flights and extras from 1 August 2020. Your credit will be valid for a period of two years, giving you plenty of time to plan your perfect trip.
    https://www.etihad.com/en-ie/book/special-offers/promotion/etihad-travel-voucher

Of course theres a certain risk to be tying your money up in vouchers for an airline right now but they are the state airline of oil rich Abu Dhabi who constantly pump money into them. If you can find flights you want at a decent price then using these vouchers to get 33% off is a good deal.

Credit goes to paddy19 on the travel forum for this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

Muahahaha wrote: »
    This seems a good deal for anyone planning to fly long haul over the next 2 years. Offer expires June 24th.

https://www.etihad.com/en-ie/book/special-offers/promotion/etihad-travel-voucher

Of course theres a certain risk to be tying your money up in vouchers for an airline right now but they are the state airline of oil rich Abu Dhabi who constantly pump money into them. If you can find flights you want at a decent price then using these vouchers to get 33% off is a good deal.

Credit goes to paddy19 on the travel forum for this one.

the deals are from the USA only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

did you ring them up ? Without digging into it too much it appears you can choose to fly from dublin for it to a whole host of destinations....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

dennispenn wrote: »

It's on the .ie site so don't see where is states USA only?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gomara

I think the link brings you to the wrong place just google ‘etihad travel voucher’

I’m not sure where the 33% Off comes in, Depends on the cost of the flight I guess, but if you buy voucher for €2000 you get €3000 credit (+50%) towards flights booked over the next 2 years, seems a good deal if you’ve got some cash to spare and are planning a trip.

Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

gomara wrote: »
    I think the link brings you to the wrong place just google ‘etihad travel voucher’

I’m not sure where the 33% Off comes in, Depends on the cost of the flight I guess, but if you buy voucher for €2000 you get €3000 credit (+50%) towards flights booked over the next 2 years, seems a good deal if you’ve got some cash to spare and are planning a trip.

Thanks OP

When you book it be 33% saving on €3000 balance.

If you buy €2000 voucher and they add 50% it’s now €3000 voucher.

So when it comes to paying and if you use the full €3000 balance you’ve saved €1000, 33% off cos you physically paid €2000.

Clear as mud😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gomara

Hi sorry yes I get you if the flight costs the same as the voucher it represents 33% off, if the flight costs more it’s less discount of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Tippgirl74

dennispenn wrote: »

No you have to buy the vouchers in US dollars but can use them for any route.

Brilliant. Our flights to Australia at Xmas time can be in and around 3 grand. That would be another 1500 on top and is valid for 2 years.

Great deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

That’s genius from who ever thought of this

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Fly_away

Brilliant. Our flights to Australia at Xmas time can be in and around 3 grand. That would be another 1500 on top and is valid for 2 years.

Great deal

How do you know that you'll be able to fly at Xmas?

With Covid-19 here to stay for the foreseeable future there is huge uncertainty surrounding all flights, particularly long haul flights which are usually planned weeks/months in advance.

Nobody can tell you with any certainty that we won't be in the middle of a second wave come Xmas time.

Hold fire, keep your money in the bank and only spend big bucks on a flight if it's departing within weeks of purchase (ideally days) so you can have some degree of confidence that it won't get cancelled.

Don't part with your wallet to make long term travel arrangements in this current climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

This is a great BA! 10yr anniversary next year and was planning a trip for myself and the missus. This will come in handy.
    Wonder if you can stack the vouchers? Must give them a call tomorrow.

My 2 daughters and my grandson live in Australia. Voucher valid for 2 years and is held in a travel account so you can use it for anybody.

Even if Australia do not let people in for next 2 years, my daughters are now citizens of Australia so could come here instead.

Fly_away wrote: »
    How do you know that you'll be able to fly at Xmas?

With Covid-19 here to stay for the foreseeable future there is huge uncertainty surrounding all flights, particularly long haul flights which are usually planned weeks/months in advance.

Nobody can tell you with any certainty that we won't be in the middle of a second wave come Xmas time.

Hold fire, keep your money in the bank and only spend big bucks on a flight if it's departing within weeks of purchase (ideally days) so you can have some degree of confidence that it won't get cancelled.

Don't part with your wallet to make long term travel arrangements in this current climate.

It’s exactly this cautious thinking that gets you nowhere in life. I bet you hate the fact the lockdown is unraveling too.

The voucher is valid for 2 YEARS... two years.

I think the thread for Covid and restrictions is over somewhere else..

This is a thread for people looking to travel in the next 24 months and take advantage of a great deal.

Christ you people are everywhere on here

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Fair warning to everyone, companies can and will file bankruptcy. Buy and use quickly, the longer you wait the greater the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Etihad probably the safest airline on the planet. The oil ain't running out anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭thefa

Planning on visiting Australia in the next 18 months and weighing up this offer.

Has anybody use Etihad or alternatives? Themselves and Emirates seem to be the most expensive but maybe there’s a benefit in the service I’m missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

thefa wrote: »
    Planning on visiting Australia in the next 18 months and weighing up this offer.

Has anybody use Etihad or alternatives? Themselves and Emirates seem to be the most expensive but maybe there’s a benefit in the service I’m missing.

Etihad have been haemorrhaging money for years. They've never made a profit. They're unlikely to go under as they're government backed but the quality of service has taken a nose dive in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

unklerosco wrote: »
    This is a great BA! 10yr anniversary next year and was planning a trip for myself and the missus. This will come in handy.
    Wonder if you can stack the vouchers? Must give them a call tomorrow.

So long as they havent inflated their typical flight prices to cover the 33% discount then it seems like a great deal. Small risk that they go bankrupt but UAE is a oil rich nation and allowing their national airline to fail would be an embarrassment to them. Theres more chance of a second 9/11 happening and that then effecting your ability to fly IMO.

Regards stacking they say you can buy a maximum of $65,000 worth of vouchers which the offer would then bring up to $97,500 worth of flights so fill yer boots :pac: They are clearly offering it at this level in the hope big corporates bite the bait to make some savings for employee flights over the next two years.

A good thing is the voucher can be spent on flights for yourself or family, friends, etc. So grandparents can use it to get to Australia or use it to get the kids and grandkids back from there while hopefully saving a nice chunk on normal prices.

Expires June 24th though so only 8 full days left to decide. Also if you can only buy them in US$ then Revelout the way to go to avoid getting hit badly on currency exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Fly_away

CBear1993 wrote: »
    It’s exactly this cautious thinking that gets you nowhere in life. I bet you hate the fact the lockdown is unraveling too.

The voucher is valid for 2 YEARS... two years.

I think the thread for Covid and restrictions is over somewhere else..

This is a thread for people looking to travel in the next 24 months and take advantage of a great deal.

Christ you people are everywhere on here

Bizarre rant.

This is the Bargain Alerts forum; the last time I checked folk are allowed to comment on whether they agree a product/service is in fact a bargain.

I gave my opinion, it's up to each individual as to whether they want to take it on board or not.

And in my humble opinion I don't think tying up 2 grand on travel is a good idea at the moment.

In the current circumstances, you can't say that a flight on any given date in the future will go ahead with any degree of certainty and companies bankrolled by oil tycoons have been wound up before.

Fly_away wrote: »
    Bizarre rant.

This is the Bargain Alerts forum; the last time I checked folk are allowed to comment on whether they agree a product/service is in fact a bargain.

I gave my opinion, it's up to each individual as to whether they want to take it on board or not.

And in my humble opinion I don't think tying up 2 grand on travel is a good idea at the moment.

In the current circumstances, you can't say that a flight on any given date in the future will go ahead with any degree of certainty and companies bankrolled by oil tycoons have been wound up before.

You aren’t commenting on whether it’s a bargain though, you’re talking about Covid, plenty of threads on here for that. As I can see this is only your second post (both of which were on this thread) you can be forgiven. There are loads of threads on here “when will you travel again” “is it safe to fly “ etc etc where I’m sure your views will be most welcome.

No one mentioned two grand. The minimum is something like €265 actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Although this is a good deal i would be cautious for below reasons.

1) Uncertainty how will airlines ticket prices react when we reopen(might be very high due to initial surge).
    2) No flexibility of choosing cheaper deals which come up now and then from third party sites like skyscanner etc.
    3) Possible Limited options in terms of travel dates and classes to chose from(Etihad economy gets sold very fast).

However if you know you will only use Etihad for your travel you should go ahead and book this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

This only makes them the same price as their prices on Skyscanner.

Or at least for my planned flights for December

Although this is a good deal i would be cautious for below reasons.

1) Uncertainty how will airlines ticket prices react when we reopen(might be very high due to initial surge).
    2) No flexibility of choosing cheaper deals which come up now and then from third party sites like skyscanner etc.
    3) Possible Limited options in terms of travel dates and classes to chose from(Etihad economy gets sold very fast).

However if you know you will only use Etihad for your travel you should go ahead and book this.

I would in general not be a fan of vouchers because of the
    ridiculous restrictions that airlines seem to think they have a right to build into them.
    Ryanair's initial voucher where your money vanished if you did not
    book a flight within 12 months was the most blatant example of this attitude.

But this is the most generous voucher I have ever seen both
    in the 50% amount but more importantly in the ability to
    transfer the voucher to another passenger without the buyer having to travel.
    There are virtually no restrictions apart from the 2 year limit.
    This is the nearest thing to cash in the voucher world.
    You also get the bonus of miles.

This allows a customer to trade the voucher
    which could in theory lead to a market in Etihad vouchers.
    More likely it allows customers to transfer to friends, families and colleagues.

I think it's actually more likely that prices will be lower in the short term
    as airlines try to put bums on seats. But Etihad as long haul operator
    could be an exception. The Sky-scanner point is valid as Etihad could
    decide to discount through the OTA's and keep it's own prices high or as you
    say limit the amount of cheaper seats.

As you say if you are a regular or have friends/family that are happy
    with Etihad then it looks like a decent bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

paddy19 wrote: »
    I would in general not be a fan of vouchers because of the
    ridiculous restrictions that airlines seem to think they have a right to build into them.
    Ryanair's initial voucher where your money vanished if you did not
    book a flight within 12 months was the most blatant example.

But this is the most generous voucher I have ever seen both
    in the 50% amount but more importantly in the ability to
    transfer the voucher to another passenger without the buyer having to travel.
    There are virtually no restrictions. This is the nearest thing to cash in the voucher world.
    You also get the bonus of miles.

This allows a customer to trade the voucher
    which could in theory lead to a market in Etihad vouchers.
    More likely it allows customers to transfer to friends, families and colleagues.

I think it's actually more likely that prices will be lower in the short term
    as airlines try to put bums on seats. But Etihad as long haul operator
    could be an exception. The Sky-scanner point is valid as Etihad could
    decide to discount through the OTA's and keep it's own prices high.

As you say if you are a regular or have friends/family that are happy
    with Etihad then it looks like a decent bet.

Trust me i have burnt my hands trying to get refunds for last 2 months from airlines and a voucher would be last thing i will like to hear about...but again this might suit some.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    This only makes them the same price as their prices on Skyscanner.

Or at least for my planned flights for December

Defo, be interesting to do a wee study of the offerings from both.
    I think this may make more sense if you can fly away from the peak periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

paddy19 wrote: »
    Defo, be interesting to do a wee study of the offerings from both.
    I think this may make more sense if you can fly away from the peak periods.

Example dates I checked out after the 33% discount were still around €200 more expensive than Emirates.

Sounds good on paper but most people won't be receiving the benefit of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Example dates I checked out after the 33% discount were still around €200 more expensive than Emirates.

Sounds good on paper but most people won't be receiving the benefit of the deal.
    Are those Skyscanner deals direct with the airlines or via travel agent?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Are those Skyscanner deals direct with the airlines or via travel agent?

A mixture. The headline prices are always with a travel agent and often don't actually exist when you try to book. In these times you'd be an idiot not to book direct with an airline anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

A mixture. The headline prices are always with a travel agent and often don't actually exist when you try to book. In these times you'd be an idiot not to book direct with an airline anyway.
    Could you just use the voucher for the skyscanner fare then?

• Advertisement

Dublin Abu Dhabi direct 13 Dec
    Abu Dhabi Dublin direct Jan 5th.

Skyscanner best offer from Bravofly €1090 against Etihad €1,202.

So an €800 voucher plus 50% would save €290 against bravofly which wouldn't have a sterling reputation for customer service (37% bad on trustpilot).

Obviously fares change all the time so other dates and routes will differ.

Be interesting to see other examples.

Advertisement