Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q weed killer

Options
  • 15-05-2014 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

Roundup and Resolva 1 litre weed killer is €4 in B&Q
    €9.99 in woodies etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Just buy Tesco coffee, it will work out cheaper and do the same job :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

meathman0 wrote: »
    Just buy Tesco coffee, it will work out cheaper and do the same job :-)

never heard of that before! Does it actually work?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Those bottles contain roundup at a dilution of 1:40 so for €5 you're getting 25ml of roundup in other words €200 per liter hardly a bargain in the longrun. Buy concentrate at the coop and dilute as needed, shelf life for the plain stuff without surfactant is a minimum of 8 years stored in a cool dry place in reality longer than that. It will be 10-30 times cheaper in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

You could pick up 5Lt of Roundup at your local CO-OP for €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭webels

K3v wrote: »
    Which CO-op is this cheapest I have seen for 5L is €48.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

ccull123 wrote: »
    never heard of that before! Does it actually work?:)

No!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

webels wrote: »
    Which CO-op is this cheapest I have seen for 5L is €48.

Around my area - Athy - there a 4-5 agri merchants who all stock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

is there a co-op near south Dublin?
    Will this kill grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Mandzhalas

is there a co-op near south Dublin?
    Will this kill grass?

it kills anything that grows from ground

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Mandzhalas wrote: »
    it kills anything that grows from ground
    It won't kill briars you need grazon 90 for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Phantom99

I use a kettle of boiling water for smaller jobs. Kills them immediately.

Need to be careful though if using to kill weeds at the edge of tarmac as the heat can melt tar and loosen stones. Ideal killing big
    weeds in grass.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Phantom99 wrote: »
    I use a kettle of boiling water for smaller jobs. Kills them immediately.

Need to be careful though if using to kill weeds at the edge of tarmac as the heat can melt tar and loosen stones. Ideal killing big
    weeds in grass.

I'd imagine that all that does is destroys the over-surface foliage. Glyphosate nukes the entire structure; its not instant or even close to which causes a lot of people to assume it hasn't worked.
    Sam Kade wrote: »
    It won't kill briars you need grazon 90 for them.

I think if you use the versions that are more emulsified and can basically be painted on, it will kill briars. Grazon is much less systemic which means you're going to probably need two types anyway.

MYOB wrote: »
    I'd imagine that all that does is destroys the over-surface foliage. Glyphosate nukes the entire structure; its not instant or even close to which causes a lot of people to assume it hasn't worked.

It worked a treat on some large thistles I had on the front lawn. They certainly did not come back.
    At the side of the driveway the water goes right down to the roots and so should kill the whole lot. Brown the next day. Weeds do grow back in their place over time but I find that with weedkiller anyway.

I just use the dregs of a boiled kettle. A cup of tea for me and a hot bath for the little nasties

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

A mixture of salt, vinegar and a squirt of washing-up liquid will kill any weed and stop them coming back. Costs next to nothing to make a spray bottle full.

irish_goat wrote: »
    A mixture of salt, vinegar and a squirt of washing-up liquid will kill any weed and stop them coming back. Costs next to nothing to make a spray bottle full.

In what proportions?

Phantom99 wrote: »
    In what proportions?

Last time I used roughly 10 parts vinegar to 1 part salt (and a squirt of Fairy). Just remember it will kill every plant so only use it on places you don't want anything to grow on, like tarmac etc.

Glyphosphate will kill briars put it on at 1:20 catch them earlier in the year is best when they are absorbing more through the foliage.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

I have seen this works very well from videos on you tube, the only thing is I cannot find places that sell vinegar in bulk quantities,

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I used to get the gallon bottle of it for a few euros in local Costcutter until it closed. Otherwise a catering supplier would have it if you know anyone in the food line they could get it for you. Musgraves etc. Its the white vinegar you need.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you can get undiluted acetic acid it's even cheaper - commercial white vinegar is just dilute acetic acid. It is, however, nowhere near as effective as an actual systemic weed killer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

The vinegar and salt mix is a great natural weedkiller and certainly a lot better for the environment, but not exactly costing next to nothing and in fact buying a 5 litre concentrate jug of Gallup 360 works out cheaper than vinegar.

Gallup contains glyphosate, the same active ingredient as Roundup. Gallup 360 and Roundup 360 contain 360 grams/litre of glyphosate. Most Agri stores, coops or small hardware shops sell Gallup 360 or an equivalent for about €35/ 5 litre. In addition to Gallup, there are many other weed killers that have glyphosate as the active ingredient, such as Roseate, Rambo, Glygos, Asteroid, Envision, Touchdown, but make sure you get 360, which means it contains 360 grams/litre of glyphosate and all much cheaper than Roundup. Gallup 360 is concentrated and it can be diluted with water at a ratio of 1:20 up to 1:80 depending on the type of weeds and application. So a 5 litre container, even at the strongest mixing will give you at least 105 litres of weedkiller and at €35 for a 5 litre container of Gallup 360, that works out to a cost of about €0.33/litre and I would suspect Gallup 360 mixed at a 20:1 ratio would be a lot stronger than vinegar and salt and the cheapest white vinegar I've seen is about €2/litre. The cheapest vinegar I've seen is Malt vinegar in Lidl or Aldi at about €0.69/litre and I'm not sure Malt vinegar would even be as effective at killing weeds as white vinegar and highly unlikely it would be as effective at Gallup 360 at a 20:1 ratio. So although the vinegar mix may be more natural, it's certainly not the cheapest, although it's still far cheaper than buying the ready mix Roundup in the likes of Woodies or B&Q. Also remember vinegar and salt will sterilise your garden for a few years, where glyphosate is absorbed through foliage and is not supposed to effect the soil. What's also interesting is the likes of Woodies and B&Q don't seem to sell Gallup 360 or any of the economical glyphosate concentrate weedkillers and if they do, they're probably hidden somewhere, since Roundup has a much higher profit margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

buying such large quantities is a false economy, how much weed killer would the average suburban use over 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

ted1 wrote: »
    buying such large quantities is a false economy, how much weed killer would the average suburban use over 5 years?

It’s certainly not a false economy for me, as I have close to 1 acre and a lot of weeds. I got about 2 summers out of my last 5 L bottle. Plus a false economy is an action that saves money at the beginning but over a longer period of time, results in more money being spent or wasted than being saved, like buying a banger of a car. The shelf life on this stuff is years and it works just as good as the more expensive stuff, so there’s no false economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Made with love by monsanto... correct??

http://www.march-against-monsanto.com/p/blog-page_5.html

Hondo75 wrote: »
    Made with love by monsanto... correct??

http://www.march-against-monsanto.com/p/blog-page_5.html

All the more reason to buy Gallup from Barclay chemicals in mulhuddart

ted1 wrote: »

Depends on your garden really. Mostly lawn and you'll never use it (if you're going to use glyphosate you'll use the gel based stuff directly applied to weeds in the lawn). Gravel, beds, slabs and you can go through a LOT of the stuff.

I've a 70s terrace so garden isn't hugely wide but is very long and has quite a bit of hard landscaping and I've used about a third of the 5l of 360 I got last summer already

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I found a place selling the gallop 360. http://www.magentadirect.ie/proddetail.php?prod=GALLUPLTR

SeamusFX wrote: »
    The vinegar and salt mix is a great natural weedkiller and certainly a lot better for the environment, but not exactly costing next to nothing and in fact buying a 5 litre concentrate jug of Gallup 360 works out cheaper than vinegar..

It costs about £2.50 for 5 litres of vinegar up here. Not sure what that would be down south but I'm sure it can be got pretty cheap from a catering supplier. A small amount of salt would then cost another £1 or so. And like was said above, most people would never get through that much weed killer anyway, I certainly won't any time soon. I'm not doubting the Gallup stuff but the salt/vinegar method is something anyone can do in their kitchen right now for very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

It costs about £2.50 for 5 litres of vinegar up here. Not sure what that would be down south but I'm sure it can be got pretty cheap from a catering supplier. A small amount of salt would then cost another £1 or so. And like was said above, most people would never get through that much weed killer anyway, I certainly won't any time soon. I'm not doubting the Gallup stuff but the salt/vinegar method is something anyone can do in their kitchen right now for very little.

Unfortunately in rip-off Republic no one seems to sell the 5 litre bottles, the biggest is 1/2 litre for about €1.50 and to go North for vinegar would add the extra cost of petrol, but if anyone knows anywhere in the South that sells the 5L jugs at a reasonable price, please let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

K3v wrote: »

€40.00 for 5 litres recently
    moodrater wrote: »
    All the more reason to buy Gallup from Barclay chemicals in mulhuddart

Can you get thi direct from them for cheaper?
    Hal1 wrote: »
    I found a place selling the gallop 360. http://www.magentadirect.ie/proddetail.php?prod=GALLUPLTR

€38.99 incl delivery

Advertisement