Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great news from Galway !

Options
  • 13-08-2020 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

These stories often end so badly but the 2 missing girls were found alive off Inisheer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

17 miles from where they went missing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Live in Galway. Everyones being talking about this all morning. So much relief from people when they were found.
    At last, a bit of good news!

Found by a fisherman hanging onto a lobster pot the far side of Inisheer island.
    There's luck. And then there's this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

It’s amazing news. A tough night for them. The warm temperatures helped I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Very glad to hear they were found safe and sound. Must have been frightening for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Formatting fail:

50221821958_17d7ceafb7_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Unbelievable and really great news !
    Fair play to that Fisherman and his son.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Fantastic news!
    That was some distance they went out.
    Looking at the Irish Coastguard tweets, the rescue helicopter and search boats seemed to focus around the bay and coast areas.
    If it wasn't for the help of local fishermen, they mightn't have been so lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Imagine how scary it would be out in the atlantic ocean, miles from home all night in the pitch black. There was occasional thunder and lightning last night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I read that the fisherman went out looking for them, he judged the wind ect and went out ..... if true you just cant buy that kind of experience and knowledge.

I was well chuffed when I read story.... fair play ....

As said above, how scary being in pitch dark over night.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

These stories usually end in tragedy. So nice for that not to be the case this time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

In colder weather it would have become a recovery operation overnight; this is an astounding outcome really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

L1011 wrote: »
    In colder weather it would have become a recovery operation overnight; this is an astounding outcome really.

Astounding is right. Heard the mother on rte radio earlier. She finished her contribution by emphasizing life jackets and buoyancy aids . Those girls had enormously luck but made that luck too by doing the right thing - wearing buoyancy aids. As someone living on the coast, its infuriating seeing people head out without them. Especially kids. Fantastic news today. I think everyone got a massive lift from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

When I heard this on the radio this morning, I thought they were gonners and my mind mentally moved on.

Great news to hear this at lunchtime. A massive lift in a crap year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

SeaFields wrote: »
    Astounding is right. Heard the mother on rte radio earlier. She finished her contribution by emphasizing life jackets and buoyancy aids . Those girls had enormously luck but made that luck too by doing the right thing - wearing buoyancy aids. As someone living on the coast, its infuriating seeing people head out without them. Especially kids. Fantastic news today. I think everyone got a massive lift from it.

I did and I don't particularly like the sea. Only heard it on the last word but cheered me up no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

An absolutely brilliant story. Clever ladies linking to the bouy. Could have been such a different outcome.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Great news alright.

Its usually bad news when someone goes into the water in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Your Face wrote: »
    Its usually bad news when someone goes into the water in Galway.

Exactly! Super news!

How did they drift out so far? The currents too strong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Exactly! Super news!

How did they drift out so far? The currents too strong?

They didn't know the sea in that area.
    They usually use the beach at Silver Strand but went to Furbo due to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

great ending and great bit of intelligent thinking by the girls.

Now all we need is the fairytale romance between the fairly handsome fisherman's son (18) and the younger girl :D:D:D

Advertisement