Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

What's the carry over system ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Goer4454

What's the carry over system ?

You use to be able to carry over marks between topics so for example if you scored 40 in tort and 60 in criminal, you could balance them out

Criminal and Property would be the two shortest and most straight forward exams. As for a third, it’s up to you but Constitutional, EU & Tort would all be very long. So you’re left with Equity, Company & Contract! As for those three...I found Contract the shortest, but it’s still a good bit of work.

I would 100% agree Criminal & property! I would choose contract over equity aswell, equity Juat didn’t click with me though but I found contract more enjoyable, I think it’s a subject where you can remember what happened in the cases and that makes it more interesting and easier to remember.

Ps - “enjoyable” is an exaggeration - it’s still contract law after all! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Goer4454 wrote: »
    Wonder is there a point in complaining or writing in with some constructive criticism. They should bring back the carry over points system I think.

Wonder will the October sittings go ahead

To be fair, I think the EU exam is known to have difficult questions but it’s also marked very fairly, people regularly have said he’s the nicest marker of all the examiners

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lawFE1s19976

Hi! Hope everyone got on okay in the exam yesterday. Does anyone know when results might be out for these? Surely they will have to be a bit quicker for people due to start in Blackhall and if those two were their last ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Pc_law

Hi! Hope everyone got on okay in the exam yesterday. Does anyone know when results might be out for these? Surely they will have to be a bit quicker for people due to start in Blackhall and if those two were their last ones.

I don’t know the exact dates but on the Law Society website before applications were open, they did say that those starting the PPC would be prioritised over others in terms of results. So I’d imagine they might get them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 EAL2019

Hope everyone doing Tort and EU got on ok!

I passed my last two FE1s in March and obviously didn’t receive a letter because of lockdown etc

I’ve seen some people on here saying they’ve now received their letter

Is this the case for everyone? Should I be contacting the law society if I haven’t received mine by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭L.E.D

EAL2019 wrote: »

I passed my last two FE1s in March and obviously didn’t receive a letter because of lockdown etc

Is this the case for everyone? Should I be contacting the law society if I haven’t received mine by now?

Yeah I'd give them a ring, I got the letter for results from March

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

I did 2 exams in March and didn’t receive any letter either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 EAL2019

channing90 wrote: »
    I did 2 exams in March and didn’t receive any letter either.

Just to clarify, it was my *last* two exams, in which case the letter is particularly important cause it states that you’ve completed the FE1s and you need to it to go on to Blackhall etc. I’m not sure if they’re issuing letters for results from March in general other than that.

But maybe that’s what you meant too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Just to clarify, it was my *last* two exams, in which case the letter is particularly important cause it states that you’ve completed the FE1s and you need to it to go on to Blackhall etc. I’m not sure if they’re issuing letters for results from March in general other than that.

But maybe that’s what you meant too!

Not to "erm actually" you but I got no letter and I passed my last 2 in March...... I doubt they were keeping much of a track on me though.... I'll call Monday so

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

hi all, hope exams went well for those who sat them this week.

Does anyone have a grid for constitutional please?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Not to "erm actually" you but I got no letter and I passed my last 2 in March...... I doubt they were keeping much of a track on me though.... I'll call Monday so

I also passed my last two in March and got no letter from the law society. I sent them an email two weeks ago and got no answer

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

If anyone has sample answers and grids for Property, Contract, or Equity I'd appreciate it if someone could send them to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Lallers96 wrote: »
    If anyone has sample answers and grids for Property, Contract, or Equity I'd appreciate it if someone could send them to me!

I’m trying to source these too so if I get any of these soon, I’ll pass them on...

If anyone has an equity and company grid i would appreciate so much! TIA

Also looking for grid/sample answers for criminal and property if anyone can help out : ) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lcork23

Lallers96 wrote: »

I have a property grid that I can send on if you DM me your email

Is there as many topics on constitutional as there is on tort? And is constitutional a bit more predictable than tort?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Anybody who has sat Equity, is it too late to start now for October? Alongside Contract and Property I'm thinking have about 6/7 topics covered on the two right now

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Anybody who has sat Equity, is it too late to start now for October? Alongside Contract and Property I'm thinking have about 6/7 topics covered on the two right now

Not at all, plenty of time

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dragons321

Just wondering does anyone have an updated grid for criminal?

Any tips for doing criminal?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Thanks! So uncertain sitting three considering I work mostly full time! Hoping Equity won't be too stressful a topic

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FE1Taker

Does anyone have a grid for criminal and property they could spare? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Is it possible to leave out topics for criminal law? According to the grid most things come up every year...

• Advertisement

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Is it possible to leave out topics for criminal law? According to the grid most things come up every year...

I wouldn’t leave anything out personally because I likes numerous issues in problem questions! You can make some educated guesses going by the grids but I think you should know the basics of everything! Personal opinion!

If I had a choice to leave out studying 1 between Mortgages, Family Property, and Licenses and Right of Residence, which should I leave out?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

If I had a choice to leave out studying 1 between Mortgages, Family Property, and Licenses and Right of Residence, which should I leave out?

How many topics do you already have done? :pac: I never looked at entire section on Landlord and Tenant Law, Family Property (except in the context of inheritance) nor Mortgages and I passed Property Law twice. Property is very predictable, I wouldn't waste your time with loads of backup topics. So by my logic there, all of them as I didn't study any of them but I knew the topics that come up all the time. Not even sure if I did right of residence, I think I learned it with co-ownership?

How many topics do you already have done? :pac: I never looked at entire section on Landlord and Tenant Law, Family Property (except in the context of inheritance) nor Mortgages and I passed Property Law twice. Property is very predictable, I wouldn't waste your time with loads of backup topics. So by my logic there, all of them as I didn't study any of them but I knew the topics that come up all the time. Not even sure if I did right of residence, I think I learned it with co-ownership?

This is what I'll be covering for property, let me know if I should leave anything out!

Co-ownership; Succession; Adverse Possession; Easements; Landlord and Tenant; Family Property; Mortgages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

This is what I'll be covering for property, let me know if I should leave anything out!

Co-ownership; Succession; Adverse Possession; Easements; Landlord and Tenant; Family Property; Mortgages

I would cover finding as well. Comes up quite a bit and it’s very easy to learn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Dragons321

Does anyone have an up to date Criminal exam grid?

Dragons321 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an up to date Criminal exam grid?

Would love one too if anyone has one to send

• Registered Users Posts: 14 YcL

Very silly question maybe 🀷ðŸ»*♀️ is blackhall only once a year? September?? I find any information hard to get on law society. So if u finish FE1s in October u are still waiting till following Sept till u start? And does this include new hybrid ppc1 course?
    I've only joined in the middle of FE1s, find the information here very good, straight to the point and supportive so well done to those who contribute ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

What is the general consensus on the Company exam, re volume & difficulty? Could I do it along with say Constitutional, and not be completely swamped?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

EmmaO94 wrote: »
    What is the general consensus on the Company exam, re volume & difficulty? Could I do it along with say Constitutional, and not be completely swamped?

It's not the worst of exams. Being able to bring in the legislation is a huge plus. I actually did it with constitutional as well and it was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

YcL wrote: »
    Very silly question maybe 🀷ðŸ»*♀️ is blackhall only once a year? September?? I find any information hard to get on law society. So if u finish FE1s in October u are still waiting till following Sept till u start? And does this include new hybrid ppc1 course?
    I've only joined in the middle of FE1s, find the information here very good, straight to the point and supportive so well done to those who contribute ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Yes if you finish your FE1s this October you’ll have to wait till next September too begin PPC1.

Re the Hybrid, info on the Law Society website indicates that the deadline for applications is around the time of the October exams. Not sure if you could apply with exams still pending.

Would studying just these topics get you through the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

What topics would people recommend for equity? I'm currently going with Charitable Trusts, Constructive Trusts, Express Trusts, Mareva, Interlocutory, quia timet, DMC and wondering if there's more I should be covering or even ways of whittling down the topics with those?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Coopie

Yes if you finish your FE1s this October you’ll have to wait till next September too begin PPC1.

Re the Hybrid, info on the Law Society website indicates that the deadline for applications is around the time of the October exams. Not sure if you could apply with exams still pending.

I was told that if you are doing your last exam in October there will still be time to apply for the Hybrid that starts in December if you pass the exam in October. You can’t apply for hybrid until you have passed all 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Coopie

Coopie wrote: »
    I was told that if you are doing your last exam in October there will still be time to apply for the Hybrid that starts in December if you pass the exam in October. You can’t apply for hybrid until you have passed all 8.

They supposedly open up applications again after the Oct deadline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 sunnylegal

What are people’s go to criminal topics? Ones that come up every year that you must do

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lealaw

They supposedly open up applications again after the Oct deadline

Just reading there and I think it is usually open 14 days after the October sitting

Would studying just these topics get you through the exam?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

lawgrad15 wrote: »
    It's not the worst of exams. Being able to bring in the legislation is a huge plus. I actually did it with constitutional as well and it was grand.

This is good to hear, thank you! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

Can I ask where you heard this? I have the option of starting the hybrid course with a firm but thought I wouldn't be able this Jan as I have two exams left !

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CSC1997

Does anybody have an updated criminal grid by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

Lealaw wrote: »
    Just reading there and I think it is usually open 14 days after the October sitting

Last year, applications for the Hybrid were still be accepted in November/December.I guess it all depends on availability of places.In my experience, for all law society courses, there is some flexibility with dates so long as places as still available. For example, I know a person who joined PPC 1 in the third week of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭LS3

does anyone have constitutional manual, exam grids, exam reports and sample answers they would be willing to sell me? Looking for emailed version if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 TheLawGuy

I am planning on sitting Tort and Contract in October. I am hoping to do one more, could anyone please recommend which other subject to do? I have Property and Criminal passed already.I know there is a lot to cover in Tort especially so wondering which other one I should go for. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

If anyone has a criminal grid that would be great. I have Contract & Property grids, and Tort Samples in PDF form I can swap

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement