Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derailment in Scotland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Reports of two fatalities :(

First train crash in the UK resulting in fatalities on the train since Greyrigg in 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭howiya

British Transport Police have just confirmed three fatalities. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Saw pictures online from the accident site and they'd have very lucky to come away without lives lost. The mk3 coaches didn't seem to have broken up but Upside down. Has it been confirmed the driver is one of the dead ? I ask because seeing the picture of the loco it won't run again.

Obviously RIP to the dead and their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Saw pictures online from the accident site and they'd have very lucky to come away without lives lost. The mk3 coaches didn't seem to have broken up but Upside down. Has it been confirmed the driver is one of the dead ? I ask because seeing the picture of the loco it won't run again.

Saw the same pictures unfortunately the driver has passed away, RIP

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-53751774

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Saw the same pictures unfortunately the driver has passed away, RIP

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-53751774

Awful stuff. The fact a train driver has died and is connected to some depot makes it even worse than it already it. I mean obviously the drivers family is most important but his or her colleagues will be in shock as well.

• Advertisement

The BTP statement had this line
    While formal identification is yet to take place, the driver of the train is very sadly believed to have died. His family have been informed and are being supported by specially trained family liaison officers.

Awful stuff. The fact a train driver has died and is connected to some depot makes it even worse than it already it. I mean obviously the drivers family is most important but his or her colleagues will be in shock as well.

Completely agree, however seeing video footage from this morning on the network rail twitter of serious water coming onto the tracks around the area of the derailment will raise questions to why the train ran in the first place.

The train was travelling south when Network Rail got a report of a landslip south of Carmont, the decision was made to turn the train back north on the Up line (wrong road) and across the points to the Down line (right road) at Carmont SB. It was heading to Stonehaven when it hit something / something gave way and the train derailed about a mile from Carmont SB

Very lucky there were so few on the train (due to local Aberdeen COVID-19 lockdown)

Rail magazine article about ScotRail HST
    https://www.railmagazine.com/news/rail-features/the-next-king-of-scotland-inter7city-hst-train-test?image=27799

https://twitter.com/networkrailscot/status/1293469586193612805?s=21

I believe this was before the accident and after the train had stopped to reverse

Also just seen these overhead shots, if anyone finds it disrespectful then I’ll edit the post.

https://imgur.com/a/JOx5koT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Also just seen these overhead shots, if anyone finds it disrespectful then I’ll edit the post.

https://imgur.com/a/JOx5koT

Wow thats worse than I expected.

It seems fortunate that there were just 3 fatalities.

As someone that commutes every day on the train I take it for granted that these things wont happen. Very tragic.

That is worse than I was expecting... wow

It must have been a very sudden impact as the driver did not even make an emergency call on the GSM-R

It's not in those pictures. It's further down the embankment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

It must have been a very sudden impact as the driver did not even make an emergency call on the GSM-R
    Sky correspondent Gerard Tubb, who is at the scene, said questions remain as to why it appears it took three hours for an emergency call to be made.

Might have less fatalites if EMT's had gotten there earlier.

A cutting just before the overbridge

trck.jpg

Might have less fatalites if EMT's had gotten there earlier.

Yes, drivers have access in the cab to make a single button emergency call but no call was made which suggests a very sudden impact

I understand a member of the public reported the incident to Network Rail control at about 0945 so the timeline is very sketchy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not trying to judge however if there was a significant time lapse between derailment and the public making the call that raises a whole different set of questions. The role of signaler and if they made contact and raising the alarm if the train was not making progress.

Terrible for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

It's not in those pictures. It's further down the embankment.

The lead loco is behind the trees to the right of the half burnt carriage. Its badly charred so difficult to see but you can make it out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Awful news RIP to those who died

Sky new reporter doesn't seem to have his facts in order with his 3 hour time lapse claim. The train travelled for a number of miles beyond stonehaven meaning it would of been sometime after 7 before it encountered the first land slip either way. Also its roughly a 20 min journey from there to Aberdeen trains don't just go missing for over 2 hours without anyone noticing.

Presumably the train would of been held at the first slip for a period of time before been cleared to return, possibly even had to wait for engineers to arrive to see if the line could be cleared first. The train was clearly travelling in an northerly direction, his claim would suggest this happened while travelling southbound.

Looking at the timetable there would of been a number of trains scheduled to pass in that 3 hour period also. It would be interesting to know when the last Northbound service passed the section.

Drone footage of the scene shows a landslip at the end of the cutting just before the bridge

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/video-new-images-shows-scale-of-devastation-stonehaven-train-crash/

Capture.jpg

Seems to be a bulk in the track just before the bridge as well, likely were the loco came off. Bridge seems to be damaged as well.

I believe an off duty guard rushed back to the signal cabin to raise the alarm. He arrived around 10:30am or so. The cabin is a good 1-1.5 miles back which would take him a good 30/40mins to complete. That would suggest to me the crash happened shortly before been reported at 9:45am by a member of the public.

Is the dark object in the centre the power car

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Details on the derailment:
    When it became apparent that train 1T08 could not continue its journey south, the decision was taken to return it to Aberdeen, and it was routed back over a crossover at Carmont onto the down line. After travelling for approximately 1.4 miles (2.25 km), the train struck a landslip covering the down line and derailed. As the track curved to the right, the train continued in a roughly straight line for around 100 yards (90 metres) until it struck a section of bridge parapet, which was destroyed. The leading power car continued over the bridge and then fell from the railway down a wooded embankment, as did the third passenger carriage. The first passenger carriage came to rest on its roof, having rotated to be at right angles to the track. The second passenger carriage also overturned onto its roof and came to rest on the first carriage. The fourth passenger carriage remained upright and attached to the rear power car; it also came to rest on the first carriage. All wheelsets of the rear power car derailed, but it remained upright.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/passenger-train-derailment-near-carmont-aberdeenshire

If there was no speed restrictions in place roughly what kind of speed could he have gotten up to in that distance. I'm guessing the crossover would of been 10/15 mph.

Can the trains headlights been seen in the distance on the 1st landslip Twitter video?

Here is an extract from the sectional appendix for the area, the train would be accelerating up to 75mph so I guess it would get up to about 50mph

Capture.jpg

Further update from the RIAB, train got up to 72.8mph when it hid the landslip. The HST for ScotRail is shorter than the other operators therefore acceleration performance is better

https://twitter.com/raibgovuk/status/1296795066757976064

• Advertisement
Advertisement