Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savings house deposit

Options
  • 08-03-2021 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hello

I've my savings deposit sitting for my my first home purchase sitting in a deposit account in my bank. Is there anywhere else I could put it? Apart from under the mattress haha
    Could I invest it all in gold? Would the bank then accept the gold as my deposit?

I'm getting no interest on it and I'm guessing soon it'll attract negative interest!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There is only one place for money you need within the next five years - a deposit account or similar type product.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bridest

Jim2007 wrote: »
    There is only one place for money you need within the next five years - a deposit account or similar type product.

Hmmm I've a friend warning me of possible bank bail-ins!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

bridest wrote: »
    Hello

I've my savings deposit sitting for my my first home purchase sitting in a deposit account in my bank. Is there anywhere else I could put it? Apart from under the mattress haha
    Could I invest it all in gold? Would the bank then accept the gold as my deposit?

I'm getting no interest on it and I'm guessing soon it'll attract negative interest!

They won't take gold no. When will you need access to it?

In that case don’t take financial advice from your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Q&A

... Then you will own the bank. After which you can appoint a loan officer sympathetic to your cause... Sorted

• Advertisement

Q&A wrote: »
    ... Then you will own the bank. After which you can appoint a loan officer sympathetic to your cause... Sorted

Haha sound, no but seriously are there any other options for storing the cash that ain't the good auld bank

Haha sound, no but seriously are there any other options for storing the cash that ain't the good auld bank

Of course there are alternatives, it just depends on who badly you want to own your own home. If you are not too pushed, ask your friend what to do, if you actually want to be sure then keep the money it on deposit at a bank.

You seriously need to understand the nature of financial risk. Irish Banks T1s are very healthy (ask your friend for an explanation, as a student of bail outs I’m sure they know all about it) and you’ve got 100k government guarantee, so unless you are saving the deposit for a palace, you have zero chance of loosing your money. Why exactly you would put your deposit at risk is beyond reason.

Your question has been well and truly answered at this point and repeating it again serves no useful purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

2k cashback (pre dirt) on boi mortgage saver account

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

If it gets to the point of bank bail-ins then the good news is that house will be a hell of a lot cheaper! I think you're better off planning for the likely scenario rather than tiny chance of the catastrophic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Q&A

If you won't buy a bank how about a government... State savings products are another option

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Of course there are alternatives, it just depends on who badly you want to own your own home. If you are not too pushed, ask your friend what to do, if you actually want to be sure then keep the money it on deposit at a bank.

You seriously need to understand the nature of financial risk. Irish Banks T1s are very healthy (ask your friend for an explanation, as a student of bail outs I’m sure they know all about it) and you’ve got 100k government guarantee, so unless you are saving the deposit for a palace, you have zero chance of loosing your money. Why exactly you would put your deposit at risk is beyond reason.

Your question has been well and truly answered at this point and repeating it again serves no useful purpose.

Thank you kind sir, you are a gent and a scholar

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Couple of important things to consider, amount and frequency of savings, approximate period where you won't want to access funds and very importantly your attitude to risk.

You'll see your available options quick enough if you can use those considerations to choose a savings or investment option.

Advertisement