Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Book Recommendations / Resources

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 plainone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

I recently read a rather unusual book by the American Episcopalian theologian Marcus Borg, Putting Away Childish Things: A Novel of Modern Faith (New York: HarperOne, 2010. ISBN 978-0-06-188816-8). Borg's intention in writing a novel rather than another theological treatise was to provide a different way to frame ideas and debates that he considers are important for the modern practice of Christianity, particularly in a society that has become increasingly polarised between fundamentalists and atheists.

The novel's principal character is Kate, an Assistant Professor of Religious Studies in a small liberal arts college in the American Mid-West. Kate is a practising Christian, but this is a difficult position to be in when teaching in an avowedly secular college. Kate comes under criticism from different sides - parents who believe that their children are being indoctrinated, and fundamentalists who believe that Kate denies what they see as core Christian beliefs.

Along the way, Borg provides a potted narrative of how Christianity reacted to the Enlightenment and the rise of natural science. The novel discusses how far the Bible provides solid evidence for the life and teachings of Jesus, andd the extent to which different interpretations of the words of scripture are possible, or even necessary. A particularly helpful discussion centres around the changing meanings of the word "believe". Borg argues that "propositional belief" - belief in statements that X is or is not the case - is a relatively recent aspect of belief, and he suggests that, before the 17th century or thereabouts, belief was more a matter of trust and love. So a credal statement such as "I believe in one God" shouldn't be regarded as an empirical claim that God exists and that there is exactly one God, rather a declaration of trust and love in that one God.

Much of what Borg states could be debated, but using the form of the novel allows him to present debates by putting different views in the mouths of his characters. At the end of the book, Kate's own faith comes under challenge as she has to decide whether or not to trust that an invitation to take up a new academic position is part of God's long-term plan for her - this is one of several situations where Borg shows that Christianity isn't just about what one believes, but also about how one lives one's life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

A few weeks back I read Mere Christianity. Certainly a good read for anyone new to Christianity. Theologically, it's a bit light weight but he makes very good use of metaphors. I enjoyed the latter chapters most especially where he talks about how Christ wishes to transform us totally and make us "perfect". Great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Just finished Stan Duncan's book "The Greatest Story Oversold: Understanding Economic Globalization". A searing indictment of how the IMF, World Bank and Western nations combine to exploit the world's poorest people.

I recently read Julius Koestlin's "Life of Luther" (free as an e-book from Amazon).

What is really noticeable to a modern reader is how bitter people were in those days against anyone with whom they disagreed. Luther's enemies tried to kill him, and he certainly didn't believe in turning the other cheek.

At the same time as he was penning his rant against the Jews, Luther wrote a hymn that went:
    "Lord shield us with Thy Word, our hope,
    And smite the Moslem and the Pope"!

The book demonstrated to me how God has deigned to use some really flawed personalities over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Recently bought God's Century - Resurgent Religion and Global Politics. Would be interested if anyone else has any recommendations on books similar to the above.

Also Eric Kaufmann's Shall The Religious Inherit The Earth? - Demography and Politics in the 21st Century is really interesting. If you don't get the book, you can still read this paper which contains his research and conclusions.

Have ordered a couple of Philip Jenkins books recommended earlier in this thread by PDN. Christmas present for myself.

marty1985 wrote: »
    Recently bought God's Century - Resurgent Religion and Global Politics. Would be interested if anyone else has any recommendations on books similar to the above.

A book exploring similar themes would be "God is Back" by John Micklethwaite and Adrian Woolridge. If I remember the details correctly, one of them is an atheist and the other is a Christian. They looked back at a past editorial in their magazine (the Economist) which had predicted the death of religion. They wrote this as a bit of an apology to say that not only is religious belief prospering in modern society - but that can also be considered as a good thing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/God-Back-Global-Faith-Changing/dp/0713999020

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Yes, actually God Is Back is one of the books that got me started. It's a great read, balanced and very eye opening.

I think I'm more interested in religion books relating to history and politics at the moment, and less interested in the polemics of the recent God debates, although Terry Eagleton's contribution was pretty entertaining.

Just finished 'The Maiden Tribute' by Charles Terrot.

A non-fiction account of a Victorian political scandal that, for some reason, seems to have been largely forgotten. The book was written in 1959 and is rather dated in style, but would make an incredible TV mini-series. You have a crusading newspaper editor, corrupt police, governmental indifference, institutionalised child abuse, people trafficking, a court room drama, and the good guys get sent to prison.

The characters include lecherous MPs, pimps and madams, the General of the Salvation Army, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Cardinal Manning and George Bernard Shaw. It details how a major trade in trafficking children overseas as sex workers was halted, the age of consent in the UK was raised from 13 to 16, and even ends up involving the sinking of the Titanic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

This title is out of print. Perhaps you could make a quick audio file of it and I'll give it a disinterested ear in the car?

Actually you directed me to this article which is quite good.
    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/7023/Consent.html

Do you think Stead was set up in his case? I'm just working on a few things and don't really have the time to read further.

Perhaps postpone the audio version for a week. Btw, your review now seems to be the first and only one on the interweb.

Edit:
    Wow, upon further reading is it fair to say that this 13 year old Eliza is the inspiration for Eliza Doolittle?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Thomas_Stead
    That is interesting!

This title is out of print. Perhaps you could make a quick audio file of it and I'll give it a disinterested ear in the car?

Not sure what you mean here. Other than reading the book out aloud - how would one make an audio file of it?
    Do you think Stead was set up in his case? I'm just working on a few things and don't really have the time to read further.
    The judge certainly seemed to be very biased.

Apparently the case hinged on the fact that the girl's father had not given permission for her to be removed from the country (even though the girl's mother had sold her to be transported, as she thought, for the purposes of child prostitution). In fact the parents were not married - a fact which, if revealed in court, would have demolished the main legal point of the prosecution. Stead wanted to ask the mother to produce her wedding certificate in court, but the defence lawyer, Lord Russell, declared it would be unthinkable to ask a woman questions in court concerning her chastity!

I understand the case was also the only time when a sitting Archbishop of Canterbury has ever been called as a witness in a criminal trial.
    Edit:
    Wow, upon further reading is it fair to say that this 13 year old Eliza is the inspiration for Eliza Doolittle?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Thomas_Stead
    That is interesting!
    Yes, Terrot's book makes that connection too. The real Eliza ended up being rescued from her drunken parents and was placed by the Salvation Army with a 'respectable family'. GBS was a prominent supporter of Stead and the campaign, and even sold copies of Stead's newspapers on the street when they were blacklisted by WH Smith and regular street-sellers were beaten up by pimps.

Just my attempt at humour regarding the audio version. Actually there is a copy on eBay but as I have 4 boxes of books to get through I shall have to give this one a miss. British tv loves period drama, sounds like you should see if the rights are in the public domain!

I think this is the right thread to put this in. This has spiked my interest. Fr. Brian Grogan, former President and emeritus professor from Milltown Institute has written a new book on the subject of eschatology called 'where to from here? The Christian Vision of Life after Death'.

He will be giving a lecture on it in St. Francis Xavier church in Gardiner St on Jan 30th? I don't know what time but I'm hoping it's in the evening.

I haven't read the book but the first chapter and chapter headings are here:
    http://www.veritasbooksonline.com/where-to-from-here.html#

This sentence interests me, that although this subject isn't discussed in the book, 'the issue of communication with those who have died is to be taken seriously'.
    The book has a very fancy blurb from James Martin SJ on the back, who happens to be one of my favorite writers on Catholicism.

I don't have any connection with this talk or with the Jesuits for that matter, other than the fact that I seem to be tripping over worthwhile books written by them recently.

Well, I went to this talk and it was what I have come to expect from the Jesuits, upbeat, erudite and clearheaded. Fr Grogan tries to take the fear and loathing that many have of the final trip. If you have someone in your life who wants to understand clearly the Catholic position on Hell, Heaven, Purgatory but most Heaven (and definitely not limbo) I guess this book would be an ideal starting place.
    I havent actually read the book but considering one of the chapters is called 'the best is yet to come' its safe to say that it's a positive orthodox view that won't scare your granny! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

I think this is the right thread to put this in. This has spiked my interest. Fr. Brian Grogan, former President and emeritus professor from Milltown Institute has written a new book on the subject of eschatology called 'where to from here? The Christian Vision of Life after Death'.

He will be giving a lecture on it in St. Francis Xavier church in Gardiner St on Jan 30th? I don't know what time but I'm hoping it's in the evening.

I haven't read the book but the first chapter and chapter headings are here:
    http://www.veritasbooksonline.com/where-to-from-here.html#

This sentence interests me, that although this subject isn't discussed in the book, 'the issue of communication with those who have died is to be taken seriously'.
    The book has a very fancy blurb from James Martin SJ on the back, who happens to be one of my favorite writers on Catholicism.

I don't have any connection with this talk or with the Jesuits for that matter, other than the fact that I seem to be tripping over worthwhile books written by them recently.

Thanks for the book link, I just bought it for the kindle at Amazon, will reading when I finished my latest book.

• Advertisement

I feel guilty now as I've only just browsed through it and have another half dozen to finish before I pick it up again. But it was nice to meet the author. I also have a few kindle classics lined up and am hoping to make a dent in those over the weekend. The next book to review, properly this time, will be The Wow Factor' by William J O'Malley.
    Here's a sentence from it.
    'Absolute certitude - in politics or religion or any other human search - is the enemy of truth. The great sin is certitude, the great virtue is doubt, because doubt is a clear admission that even if there is no God, I myself am unequipped for the job. Doubt guards against smug, ill-considered foolishness. Doubt sends me off in search of better explanations than I've comforted myself with thus far. Certitude is for jihadists, kamikaze pilots and high school seniors.' p27

I should mention that Fr. O'Malley teaches high school seniors at Fordham. He wrote this book last year. He is 80 years of age.
    To the lists of great 'sinners' above I suppose one would have to add internet forum posters! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dreamerking

I read Counterfeit gods by Timothy Keller a while ago. He mainly talks about modern idols such as money and success. He then discusses why we should put Jesus at the centre of everything we do. A highly enjoyable read. I would recommend it.

Not so much a book recommendation, as I haven't read it, as simply a quote that I like, which I think applies to Christians of all denominations.

Henri de Lubac, S.J., wrote: "The best Christians and the most vital are by no means to be found either inevitably or even generally among the wise or the clever, the intelligentsia or the politically-minded, or those of social consequence. And consequently what they say does not make the headlines; what they do does not come to the public eye. Their lives are hidden from the eyes of the world, and if they do come to some degree of notoriety, that is usually late in the day, and exceptional, and always attended by the risk of distortion" (The Splendor of the Church, p. 187).

I recently read two excellent books on China.

"A Heart for Freedom" by Chai Ling is the story of the young lady who was commander of the protesting students in Tianamen Square in 1989. It records those exciting, but eventually bloody, days and her subsequent time on the run from the Chinese authorities. She escaped the country and ended up living as a successful business woman in the United States.

One part of her story that bugged me was the way in which she kept having abortions (I lost count, but I think it was 4 times). Then, towards the end of the book, she shares how she was recently converted from Buddhism to Christ and now leads a ministry campaigning against the use of abortion in China directed against unborn baby girls (China's one child policy means families generally want a son).

"God is Red" by Liao Yiwu is yet another book exploring the phenomenal growth of Christianity in China. It is different, however, in that the author is not himself a Christian. Liao Yiwu is a well known dissident whose books are banned in China. He ignores the growth of the Gospel in the cities among young professionals (an aspect I am familiar with through my work) and concentrates more on certain rural areas where a persistent Christian influence was left by Western missionaries. He interviews Catholics, Protestants, and members of the State-Sponsored Three Self Churches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

http://www.investigatingatheism.info/demographics.html#r4

two books on the Bottom worth looking at on demographics of atheism.
    zukerman is the usual prime source for the "denmark is atheist" type comments on the net.
    Zukerman is an atheist AFAIK but a capable academic. however people usually quote only his highest estimate.others are lower.

Norris, Pippa, and Ronald Inglehart. Sacred and Secular: Religion and Politics Worldwide. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2004.

Zuckerman, Phil. "Atheism: Contemporary Numbers and Patterns." In The Cambridge Companion to Atheism, edited by Michael Martin. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007.

• Advertisement

Gardiner Street Church – Dr. Dermot Lane, President of Mater Dei Institute, will speak on his new book: Stepping Stones to other Religions A Christian Theology of Inter-Religious Dialogue on Tuesday March 20th at 7.30 p.m.   Admission is free, donation welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

PDN wrote: »
    I recently read two excellent books on China.
    One part of her story that bugged me was the way in which she kept having abortions (I lost count, but I think it was 4 times). Then, towards the end of the book, she shares how she was recently converted from Buddhism to Christ and now leads a ministry campaigning against the use of abortion in China directed against unborn baby girls (China's one child policy means families generally want a son).

Off topic, I know, but I recently heard that the Chinese church (and I realise that this is lumping a whole lot of very different people in together) have been very slow to react against abortions. This includes the female leadership. I guess it has been made to be such a fundamental part of Chinese society that attitudes are slow to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

I'm just finished reading a book by Francis Collins ( physician and geneticist and leader of the Human Genome Project, also an Atheist turned Christian )

It's called 'Belief: Readings on the Reasons for Faith' - Would highly recommend it.

It brings together short excerpts and essays from various great minds such as, St. Augustine, St.Thomas Aquinas, N.T. Wright, John Lock, John Stott, Desmond Tutu, Martin Luther King, C.S. Lewis, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, among many many other contemporary and not so contemporary people -

A great read, and something to keep and reference, as it is laid out and flows on a topical basis too.....

I recently finished reading Thomas Cahill's "The Gifts of the Jews" - about the impact Judaism had on the way people all around the world think and form their worldviews.

I'd already read two other books by Cahill - "How the Irish Saved Civilization" and "Sailing the Wine-Dark Sea" - and this book maintained the high standard. He holds top a much looser view of biblical inspiration than I would personally, but still sees the core personalities and events of the Old Testament as being broadly historical.

A very good book if you like books that make you think, rather than books where you agree with everything and only serve to confirm your existing opinions! :)

Just finished reading a book titled 'New Proofs for the Existence of God: Contributions of Contemporary Physics and Philosophy' by Fr. Robert Spitzer SJ

For anybody interested in the topics of faith and reason and how beautifully compatible they are with contemporary scientific understanding, this is a great book. No 'New Age' garbage in it that you see so much of on bookshelfs. Fr. Robert continues in the Jesuit tradition of being at the front line of honest intellectual excellence...and makes it clear that while there is no conclusive 'proof' for God, there is absolutely nothing irrational or deluded about having faith, in fact it's entirely logical and sound as ever to have faith in God, despite the current trend and assertions of the new atheists.

I found it on the website 'Magis Centre for Reason and Faith', which is a fabulous resource for anybody interested in clarifying their understanding of the natural sciences, cosmology, physics etc. and how they relate and are in harmony with our Christian faith - it blasts away the concept that one must be 'deluded' in order to choose to have belief and faith in God. Highly recommend this, it's a bit pricey at almost 19 dollars on Kindle, but well worth it to centre understanding and implications in todays world. Doubt the doubters - read this book :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Lmaopml, I'm reading the same book too, Kindle edition. If find it very good, written very clearly but not shying away from technical jargon.

Just before that I read "The Language of God" by Francis Collins. Another very good read. I like the way he debunks Intelligent Design and Creationism. I think he might have delved a bit more into the mysteries of DNA but a great read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

"Whatever happened to the power of God" by Michael Brown. You'll get it on Amazon. Available for Kindle too. Wow, Just wow! I love this guy. No nonsense, straight talking, but extremely informed man of God. Its a real wake up call. Its kind of terrifying tbh to a sleepy "Christian" like me. The title is a question I've asked here a few times, so I had to have a read:) Its written with the American Church in mind, but it applies to us all. If you've ever asked, 'what ever happened to the power of God described in Acts and the Gospels?' then this is a MUST read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

the god with sore legs by adrian a mccartney.

superb!!

http://www.amazon.com/The-God-Sore-Legs-perambulation/dp/1468133683

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

This book is free to download for your kindle. It deals with the topic of Israel, and its relevance in terms of prophecy etc. I've just started reading it, just thought some of you Kindle folk would be into it. It being free and all :)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IZJT8G/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_ask_AcFhD.153EBSC

• Advertisement

I've just chuckled my way through 'The ball and the Cross' - a probably lesser known work of Chesterton, but really worth while reading. It's set in a period in time - but the discussion between the believer and non believer is classic, in particular with anybody who engages today - and quite modern too, ageless.

It reminded me of how this 'talk' is part and parcel of the ages, and not particularly a new phenomena - which is pretty cool.

Two characters one can't help but love and identify with.

Bty, it's free on kindle -

JimiTime wrote: »
    This book is free to download for your kindle. It deals with the topic of Israel, and its relevance in terms of prophecy etc. I've just started reading it, just thought some of you Kindle folk would be into it. It being free and all :)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IZJT8G/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_ask_AcFhD.153EBSC

I followed the link, and it doesn't look like it's free anymore, pity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Check out John Moriarty.
    You can order his books through Lillyputpress.
    Nostos is a great read :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Just wondering are there any podcasts people can recommend? I'm a Catholic and kinda realised recently there's a lot of stuff about the religion I didn't know or forgot about from school. I'm sort of getting back into it but I wouldn't mind listening to some of religious podcast to re-educate me a little.

Something easy going would be preferred.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

G-Money wrote: »
    Just wondering are there any podcasts people can recommend? I'm a Catholic and kinda realised recently there's a lot of stuff about the religion I didn't know or forgot about from school. I'm sort of getting back into it but I wouldn't mind listening to some of religious podcast to re-educate me a little.

Thanks!

I would recommend Busted Halo. It's aimed at college-aged people mainly but it's listened to by all ages. It's produced by the Paulists, an American religious order with a focus on evangelisation through the modern media. I'm no longer a practising Catholic, but what I like about the show is that it's informative and light-hearted, they don't take themselves too seriously and there is no bad-mouthing different denominations or faiths, unlike many Catholic websites online. Actually if anyone can recommend some other good Christian podcasts I'd be interested to hear too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭totus tuus

G-Money wrote: »

Thanks!

There's a good one at CAF.

http://www.catholic.com/radio/podcast

I just read a book called, 'Jesus and the Jewish roots of the Eucharist: Unlocking the secrets of the Last Supper'

Well, it's fabulous - well worth a read, for anybody who studies Scripture, for any Christian it's an unbiased and lively read - Something to think on, and one could not hope to see and let the scales fall from their eyes even just a little to relate better to their brothers and sisters who centre their lives around the great mystery of the Eucharist. Wow..how he love us...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

This might sound like a silly question but I was wondering where I could buy the following book. I'm a catholic and in secondary school we were given a copy of the New Testament and Psalms and the book says its by the Gideons International. It says the book is the New International Version. I reckon I've had this book about 20 years at this stage and it's a bit grubby and I wouldn't mind maybe buying a new copy. It doesn't have to be the exact same size (this is a small almost pocket size version) but I'd like one that has the same text/translation. I didn't realise there were different versions out there.

Anyway I was wondering where's the best place to buy stuff like this?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

The Gideon's ones are free so you might have to pick one up second hand but there are dozens of small books containing various parts of the bible. If I was you I'd just take a stroll into Veritas or Hodges Figgis. A lot of church offices sell them too. St Francis Xavier church in Gardiner St has a shop next door. Google that name for their opening hours.

I bought 'Christian Theology' by Alister McGrath - I'm working my through it at the moment and it is brilliant, brilliant, brilliant......

...and brilliant! It's a great reference book.

A great addition to anybodies collection - McGrath is very concise and easy to understand.

Highly recommend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I've just finished reading Kevin DeYoung's - Just Do Something: A Liberating Approach To Finding God's Will. Essentially the book deals with a lot of misconceptions that Christian subculture has about God's will. He discusses God's will in three senses:
    1) What God has done,
    2) What God has commanded,
    3) Direct extra-Biblical direction from God in our lives.

He argues that 3 has only really emerged in the last 50 years due to more choice in terms of career and is for the most part based on an expectation that God should answer us in ways other than in His Word. Essentially he argues for using Biblical wisdom to make decisions, instead of procrastinating and expecting God to sort everything out for us. His argument is that God speaks primarily through His word, and it has only been in very exceptional cases where God uses visions or other means, and even in these cases this revelation must conform with Scripture.

Well well worth a read, I've had a good and a very helpful rebuking from a lot of his words in this book :)

http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features/ceo_apologetics_oct04.asp

This is a very short article on the history of Catholic Apologetics and includes a useful bibliography at the end. I'm off to see if I can get a couple on kindle.

Here's a little secret that I'm probably going to regret sharing; I've picked up the entire works of various writers in a tiny bookshop in Howth that only opens on Saturdays and Sundays. The books normally cost 2 or 3 euro each. So far I have all of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin and CS Lewis titles and many other very difficult to find titles. The bookshop is across the road from a car dealership in Howth just before the piers but only opens at weekends and sometimes not even then!

Remember apologists, share your words with gentleness and reverence!

“Life being very short,” John Ruskin said, “and the quiet hours of it few, we ought to waste none of them in reading valueless books.”

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Item/1866/the_best_books_i_read_in_2012_part_1_of_3.aspx#.UPXaPnwgGSN

Some very interesting titles here, many written by nonCatholics, although its a Catholic website.

I've just read a wonderful book called 'Three Philosophies of Life' by Peter Kreeft.

It goes on a thoughtful journey through Ecclesiastes, Job, and the Song of Solomon, and brings them to a new and ageless life that is quite beautiful. The many journeys of the honest soul -

Highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The book of Kells app for Ipad which is usually 12 euro is free for today. might be of interest.

http://www.worldirish.com/story/27886-get-the-book-of-kells-ipad-app-free-for-st-patricks-day

Launched in November 2012, the iPad app quickly became the number one app in the app store.

You can see all 680 pages of the Book of Kells available in high resolution for the first time. One of the most famous illustrated manuscripts and the most elaborate manuscript of its kind to survive from the early Middle Ages, today, it is on display in the Library of Trinity College Dublin.

Lumen Fidei is well worth reading - Pope Francis first encyclical - It concludes the trilogy of encyclicals on the three Christian virtues 'Faith, Hope and Love'

Lumen Fidei on 'Faith' is available here...

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/francesco/encyclicals/documents/papa-francesco_20130629_enciclica-lumen-fidei_en.html

Deus Caritas Est on 'Love' is available here.....

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xvi_enc_20051225_deus-caritas-est_en.html

and Spe Salvi on 'Hope' is available here....

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xvi_enc_20071130_spe-salvi_en.html

An Encyclical is a 'Letter' of sorts to the entire church....I must admit to not having read them all, I'm beginning with Lumen Fidei and finding it a real treasure :) I hope to absorb the others after.....

Just watched a really cool movie tonight called - 'Twelve years a slave'. It may not be a 'religious' as such movie but it's a people movie and it's really good. Beware however, it isn't feel good movie, anything but - one of the very best!

One of the old Mods on here introduced me to reading up on the slave railroad, and I've been hooked ever since -

Go watch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Thisname

"Becoming a people of grace" An exposition of Ephesians by Charles R Swindoll

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Not a book recommendation, but Melvyn Bragg's excellent In Our Time series has recently featured a programme about Mary Magdalene. The weblink also features a list of further reading.

• Advertisement
Advertisement