Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin mosque: Open day

Options
  • 30-08-2015 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Everyone is welcome to this event.
    11902300_10153477875001013_640774092648320779_n.jpg?oh=8d55321c05a041a69ad60d4cd754d901&oe=567B2A3A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

whydoc wrote: »
    Everyone is welcome to this event.
    11902300_10153477875001013_640774092648320779_n.jpg?oh=8d55321c05a041a69ad60d4cd754d901&oe=567B2A3A

Can ya give us more info? What mosque? Where is it? When is it?

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Can ya give us more info? What mosque? Where is it? When is it?

:)

Really?...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Really?...

either joking or couldn't see the pic on their phone

salmocab wrote: »
    either joking or couldn't see the pic on their phone

I was a bit trigger happy.

There was no photo when I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

won't be heading down but to be honest id be very interested, am an atheist but don't have any snooty views about other peoples religion and am quite interested in islamic beliefs

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    won't be heading down but to be honest id be very interested, am an atheist but don't have any snooty views about other peoples religion and am quite interested in islamic beliefs

As you may be aware, I live in a Muslim country.

When people come to visit, the first thing that I usually do is bring them to the local grand mosque. It certainly changes mindsets, especially when my friends and family are warmly welcomed, offered tea/juice/dates and encouraged to ask anything they want. And I mean absolutely anything - nothing is off limits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Funtrepreneur

This is a disgrace. If you come to live in Ireland leave your religion at home. We don't need the possibility of lunatic extremists using Ireland as a place to use their brain washing. I for one will be protesting against this opening and if I see plans for others to open I'll get as many people as I can to object.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This is a disgrace. If you come to live in Ireland leave your religion at home. We don't need the possibility of lunatic extremists using Ireland as a place to use their brain washing . . .
    As your own post demonstrates, we have all the lunatic extremists we require. We don't need any more.

Muslims, on the other hand, are welcome.

This is a disgrace. If you come to live in Ireland leave your religion at home. We don't need the possibility of lunatic extremists using Ireland as a place to use their brain washing. I for one will be protesting against this opening and if I see plans for others to open I'll get as many people as I can to object.

Bye bye. Take your xenophobia eslewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Says the person whos faith has been used as an excuse to kill more people over the last 1000 years then any other in History.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

As you may be aware, I live in a Muslim country.

When people come to visit, the first thing that I usually do is bring them to the local grand mosque. It certainly changes mindsets, especially when my friends and family are warmly welcomed, offered tea/juice/dates and encouraged to ask anything they want. And I mean absolutely anything - nothing is off limits.
    Now that's what I call liberal.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Now that's what I call liberal.

My morning coffee is now dripping down my screen. Thank you. :D

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Says the person whos faith has been used as an excuse to kill more people over the last 1000 years then any other in History.

Mod note: the poster has been banned from the forum so please let it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Mod note: the poster has been banned from the forum so please let it go.

I guess he is Frozen out of the conversation.

*Gets coat

What's this? Bad Pun Monday?

I only have a half cup of coffee and no napkins left.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

I hope that plenty of Irish go and see it. I am not remotely near Dublin, but if I was, I might have gone, even as an atheist. I appreciate the artistic skill that goes into these places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Great idea, not likely that I'll be in Dublin on the day but I'll definitely pop in if I can.

It's a little unfortunate that it isn't on the 18th when Culture Night will be on as there will be a lot of people out and about and a number of places of worship will be open too. Great to see the Muslim community opening their doors and hopefully dispelling a few stereotypes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Thinking about going to this. Is their a dress code for men and women who are non Muslim.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No dress code. Dress as you would to visit a Christian church that wasn't your own church, and you were uncertain as to expectations. But, really, they're not that fussed about how you dress. (If they were, they wouldn't be having an open day.)

Wear shoes that are not a huge production to remove and replace. You're likely to be invited to remove your shoes before going into certain areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Cheers for that Peregrinus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I was all on for going and then I saw the date. :(

If another event like this happens, would people mind posting about it in this thread please.

Any updates on how the event went?

Was it well attended?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I just saw on their Facebook page that more open days are being run next month: http://islaminireland.com/news/mosque-open-day-2015/
    opendayscrnov-web.499x0-is.jpg

(NB: I do not have any involvement in this nor any connection to the mosque, I just thought I'd post it here as there appeared to have been interest in the previous open day)

Advertisement