Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebay Import Charges

Options
  • 23-02-2021 1:05am

I made a few purchases through ebay over the past 8 months. I bought some items from the US and i was charged up front for import charges by Ebay. The first thing i noticed, these import charges are driven up by very high shipping charges for the smallest of items. I can buy the same item from other sellers the shipping is 50% cheaper and i pay the import charges myself if they arise.

This got me wondering, since global shipping seems to be the "in house" shipping for Ebay, i decided that i wanted proof of the import payments made on my behalf. After 8 months Ebay are not able to provide me with the documentation that these charges were actually paid. Not only that but they informed me that no import charges were paid. (explained in a very convoluted way)

So it seems that if you order 10 packages, 3 are pulled by customs, your payment covers that. The other 7 packages dont get pulled by customs, Ebay keeps the money ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Mod<Snip> You have posted this in another thread. Please don't cross post.

Just an update on this, i did some more digging and i can confirm that no customs were paid on these items and yes, and Ebay pockets the money.They were scrambling for information and i was being passed around pillar to post until they finally admitted that no charges were paid to customs for these items. I wont be getting a refund but they will be investigating the situation fully. At this moment in time its prophet making for them and global shipping. All other customs i have paid for outside of ebay, i received the documentation. I would suggesting avoiding any ebay users that use ebay / global shipping or ask the seller to use another shipping method.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sn@kebite

One of the reasons I avoid buying on ebay when the import charge is embeded into the buy it now listing is because I thought to myself "what if customs don't intercept it" where does my money go?

I would rather have to foot the customs if it's necessary, but not let a greedy corpo get it. I did wonder this myself but im not sure.

It's amazing how uninterested people are on boards, maybe no body buys outside EU or they are ebayphobes. - They never miss an opportunity to whinge.

Sn@kebite wrote: »
    One of the reasons I avoid buying on ebay when the import charge is embeded into the buy it now listing is because I thought to myself "what if customs don't intercept it" where does my money go?

I would rather have to foot the customs if it's necessary, but not let a greedy corpo get it. I did wonder this myself but im not sure.

It's amazing how uninterested people are on boards, maybe no body buys outside EU or they are ebayphobes. - They never miss an opportunity to whinge.

Yeah no response here, but posted on social media and was contacted by the media about it. Apparently im not the only one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Have eBay explained how they are getting past customs? I'ts not as if parcels need to be examined, there is a check on the documentation to see if they require clearance. If one agent is constantly under €22 there would be red flags at customs.
    I'd say a lot of people have had bad experiences with Pitney Bowes/eBay, and don't use them much, which is why there weren't many comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sn@kebite

I bought an ipod a month ago on ebay (US) and it was shipped to a DHL assignment in California first (from Arizona), then it went to DHL Germany, then to Ireland. It did have a customs doc on it but there seemed to be no payment and the ebay listing had no import duty to pay just $13 shipping after the value of the item. I wonder how it got into Germany with no (obvious) charges that I was charged for.

All sounds very inconsistent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I wouldn't get too excited just yet. They all seem to be issuing invoices after the event this weather, where they didn't before. Unless it was sent with the Global shipping.

Advertisement