Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

VG31 wrote: »
    There's no need to do that. There are no extra charges on the vast majority of items on amazon.co.uk.

Indeed, they swap the UK VAT for Irish VAT at checkout, and it only makes 1% in the difference right now (which will be 3% soon). If you have Prime then it's still free shipping, and I've had some stuff ordered last week and this week arrive in 3 days. Ordered a camera cable on Wednesday that arrived today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Indeed, they swap the UK VAT for Irish VAT at checkout, and it only makes 1% in the difference right now (which will be 3% soon). If you have Prime then it's still free shipping, and I've had some stuff ordered last week and this week arrive in 3 days. Ordered a camera cable on Wednesday that arrived today!

It's not free shipping most of the time, it just seems that way. Tonight, I was about to order a Playstation game. Price was €52 with my uk address and €58 with my irish address. I'm a prime customer.

Stay Free

It's not free shipping most of the time, it just seems that way. Tonight, I was about to order a Playstation game. Price was €52 with my uk address and €58 with my irish address. I'm a prime customer.

That makes no sense. I've never seen a price increase, other than the VAT difference. The free shipping is free.

The exception being when you buy from a seller that isn't fulfilled by Amazon, then you pay their shipping fee.

That makes no sense. I've never seen a price increase, other than the VAT difference. The free shipping is free.

The exception being when you buy from a seller that isn't fulfilled by Amazon, then you pay their shipping fee.

If you need proof, I can send screenshots. Or you can switch the delivery address between a UK and Irish address on your prime account and the product price increase while delivery remains "free".

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 10,434 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'd like to see the item. I've looked at PS games at 54.99 to UK and 56.50 to Ireland. The small difference being Irish VAT and nothing else. Free delivery is Free delivery, bar a vat charge on the discounted delivery (which apples for each address).

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I'd like to see the item. I've looked at PS games at 54.99 to UK and 56.50 to Ireland. The small difference being Irish VAT and nothing else. Free delivery is Free delivery, bar a vat charge on the discounted delivery (which apples for each address).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Jedi-Fallen-Order/dp/B07QRC5PR7/ref=sr_1_5?crid=270G21P3ADZ4E&dchild=1&keywords=star+wars+ps4+jedi+fallen+order&qid=1613230395&sprefix=star+wars+ps4%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-5

The exact same stuff was happening long before brexit.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

£49.67 incl. 20% UK VAT

£41.39 excl. UK VAT

£50.08 incl. 21% Irish VAT

I don't see the issue here. There's just a £0.41 difference because of the 1% difference in the Irish and UK VAT rates.

Apart from the VAT change, removing UK VAT and adding Irish VAT, as I pointed out already, the price does not change. You've stated that the price changes by €6, but I've checked and it changes by 41p. And yes, it was the same before Brexit as Amazon always changed the VAT to Irish when you use an Irish address.

I'd like to see the screenshots of your €6 price difference, because it seems it's just you.

Apart from the VAT change, removing UK VAT and adding Irish VAT, as I pointed out already, the price does not change. You've stated that the price changes by €6, but I've checked and it changes by 41p. And yes, it was the same before Brexit as Amazon always changed the VAT to Irish when you use an Irish address.

I'd like to see the screenshots of your €6 price difference, because it seems it's just you.

There you go. First is using addresspal in uk. Same price for old parcel motel NI address. Second one is republic of ireland. The final price for ROI was about €58 after the vat changes. Ended up downloading the game for €25 from sony.

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭corkie

@...Ghost... Different sellers on your screenshots?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Jedi-Fallen-Order/dp/B07QRC5PR7/

Wonder what would be the price on Checkout?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement

Yep, two different sellers, hence different prices.

Anyway, Amazon don't charge different prices to Ireland, except for the VAT change, and Prime delivery to here is still free. If the product price is less than €22, you also get it 20% cheaper as they deduct the UK VAT and no Irish VAT is due at all.

corkie wrote: »
    @...Ghost... Different sellers on your screenshots?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Jedi-Fallen-Order/dp/B07QRC5PR7/

Wonder what would be the price on Checkout?

I hadn't noticed the sellers changed when the address was changed. Odd, because both deliver to roi.

Stay Free

I hadn't noticed the sellers changed when the address was changed. Odd, because both deliver to roi.

I've seen it before when you change something, that it selects a different seller for the same product. Even following the link to an item on your wishlist oculd bring you to a different seller than when you added it.

If you change your address at the checkout stage then it shouldn't change that, and you'll see only the VAT difference there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I've had parcels delivered to AddressPal over 3 weeks ago and no notification or anything from them (other than the confirmation from my courier that it was delivered to AddPal).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

AdMMM wrote: »
    I've had parcels delivered to AddressPal over 3 weeks ago and no notification or anything from them (other than the confirmation from my courier that it was delivered to AddPal).

Did you update your details on the addresspal website, you need to add a card now for prepayment of any charges due.. all good will now be delivered to your door, and have to be paid for upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

DopeTech wrote: »
    Had a parcel put in a pm on Friday morning to be sent to me and it still hasn't moved. Are they slower these days?

Are they still in business? Turnover must be down 90%+?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Thargor wrote: »

I suspect that non- Amazon package traffic between UK and Irl has been reduced to a trickle. I used to be an eager buyer of stuff off eBay UK, but can't get stuff delivered at the moment. The missus is thrilled!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Thargor wrote: »

It was just an item from adverts.ie that a seller was sending me from galway to dublin. Took about 6 days which is very slow considering I previously got stuff via newtownabbey with 24 hours of it checking in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I suspect that non- Amazon package traffic between UK and Irl has been reduced to a trickle. I used to be an eager buyer of stuff off eBay UK, but can't get stuff delivered at the moment. The missus is thrilled!!!

Me too. Once I removed my British parcel motel address from eBay and Amazon it massively reduced the amount of stuff available, and then half of that still isn’t deliverable to rep of Ireland. eBay is pretty much useless these days. Why doesn’t their global shipping come to Ireland???
    I’m amazed parcel motel are still in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

AdMMM wrote: »

My stuff arrived there on 10th Feb, confirmation from courier but nothing from AP. I have a card registered and there is sufficient money on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Actually went looking myself & found this deliverme.ie crowd who take in parcels & will courier them down south or hold for collection - €22 a parcel is a bit steep but have mailed them for clarification if they're still operating as normal as would be worth it to me

I found these too which would be ideal if they were based in Newry.

https://www.postalpickup.co.uk/parcelpickup

heffo500 wrote: »
    I found these too which would be ideal if they were based in Newry.

https://www.postalpickup.co.uk/parcelpickup

This might be even better only €3 for each delivery and could collect from their Belfast shop, open on a Saturday too.

I suppose if demand increased they would open a place in Newry. Some stuff I buy is quite expensive in Ireland so well worth a trip to Belfast

https://thepostalstore.ie/uk-parcel-delivery/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Anything coming into the North from the UK has to be declared as for NI only, if its for a republic address they will have to do Customs Clearance etc. Back to square one.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Anything coming into the North from the UK has to be declared as for NI only, if its for a republic address they will have to do Customs Clearance etc. Back to square one.

Not if you collect in person the item from their shop in Belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

AP are pathetically slow at the moment, I have a delivery from the UK virtual address that they received on Feb 12th, as of today there is no further update to what has happened to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Day 16 and no word from AP. Hoping to hear someday that it is held up in Dover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

blastman wrote: »
    AP are pathetically slow at the moment, I have a delivery from the UK virtual address that they received on Feb 12th, as of today there is no further update to what has happened to it.

I ordered supplements from the US last Friday and they arrived yesterday, I ordered some from UK almost a month ago, and still no sign.

Has anyone had any success resolving an issue with Parcel motel? I sent a package 2 weeks ago and the person I sent it to hasn't received it.

Parcel motel have told me they left it on the porch but it looks like they left it at the wrong address and the package has now disappeared.

They seem completely uninterested in helping me resolve the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

whiterebel wrote: »

How so?

The item that would be delivered to parcel motel is for NI only as far as incoming customs should be concerned.

Where it goes after is no different than if a NI resident bought something and sold it 6 months later to someone in the south

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Advertisement