Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CAT IT38 return process

Options
  • 27-02-2021 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭

I had to file a CAT IT38 return on receiving an inheritance.

I filled out the form no problem on Revenue's MyAccount. At the end, when I hit "Finished", a screen came up for my PPSN and Password. I typed those in, and just as I hit submit, I realised that I made a mistake in my PPSN (it's fine on the IT38 form itself - the mistake was just on this screen). I expected the system to reject the submission, since the incorrect PPSN wouldn't match up with the password. But it went though.

There was nothing to indicate what would happen next. I searched all around MyAccount, and I can't find a record that shows that I've submitted the form.

So I've a couple of questions.

1. Will the incorrect PPSN on this submission page cause any problems? (it has no letter and is too short, so there's no way it could be confused with an actual PPSN)

2. Assuming it goes through OK, what happens next? Will I hear back from Revenue saying that the details of the form are ok/need more info?

3. I took a screenshot myself of the tax I need to pay, but that's the only record I have of it. Should I pay this now? Or will Revenue confirm it?

4. Is it normal that there's no record in my account that I've submitted this form?

I looked all around Revenue's site and various others for this, and while there's help guides for filling out the form itself, I didn't find anything that explains the process after you submit it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

To answer my own question, I got a letter from Revenue yesterday: A Notice Of Acknowledgement of the CAT owed. So it obviously got submitted, and I have an official record (and instructions) of what to pay. I'm surprised there's no record of it in MyAccount (nothing has appeared in My Documents or anything), but at lest now I can pay what I owe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 La la lopsy

To answer my own question, I got a letter from Revenue yesterday: A Notice Of Acknowledgement of the CAT owed. So it obviously got submitted, and I have an official record (and instructions) of what to pay. I'm surprised there's no record of it in MyAccount (nothing has appeared in My Documents or anything), but at lest now I can pay what I owe.

Do you know is it possible to submit that CAT form without a ppsn of person who gave you gift?

Do you know is it possible to submit that CAT form without a ppsn of person who gave you gift?

On the online form, both the full and the short version of CAT IT38, when you're adding a Disponer (the person who gave you the gift/inheritance), their PPSN is a required field in the form. So you can't proceed without adding a PPSN for them.

I'm not sure what would happen if you sent in a paper form with the detail missing. I assume they'd send it back to you, saying it's missing. At that point, I'm not sure how you get the number of someone else, other than asking them. Maybe Revenue can provide it based on other details, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭MintyMagnum

If an accountant is filing an IT38 does the same deadline apply? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Toblerone365

'Morning. Can someone point me in the direction of downloading a paper /hard copy CAT IT38. I'm old fashioned that way , just want to make sure I get everything right before I send in anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Toblerone365

Hi again. Also what is the time limit for submitting a Cat IT38. I received the gift in early December 2022.

If the valuation date falls between 1 January and 31 August, you must pay by 31 October of that year

If the valuation date falls between 1 September and 31 December, you must pay by 31 October of the following year.

For a gift, the valuation date would usually be the date you received it (details here https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/valuation-date-value-certain-benefits/what-is-the-valuation-date.aspx)

So if you got the gift in December 2022, you have to pay your CAT by 31 October 2023. Note that the deadline is the date you have to have paid CAT by - not the date that you have to have submitted the form. So you need to get the form in before that date to give it time to process and for you to make the payment. It took me about a week to get the Notice Of Acknowledgement (which arrived by post), and then I could pay.

The paper form is called IT38S and it's linked to (as a PDF) on this page: https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/completing-gift-or-inheritance-tax-return-it38/how-do-you-file.aspx

Note that there's certain circumstances where you can't use the paper form as it's shorter and doesn't have certain elements. In those circumstances you have to use the online one. Details are on the page above.

It would be worth you reading both the pages above, and the pages linked to from them to get a full picture of what you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dublinview

I have to complete form IT38 as I have received a gift over 80% of the relevant threshold. I will obviously have no taxl iability as I have not exceeded the threshold. If I submit the paper version IT38S will I get an acknowledgement from revenue to ensure that I have proof of submission? Any help greatly appreciated.

Advertisement