Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CGT Joint Assessment

Options
  • 05-03-2021 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Scenario - We've been married for several years, and during this time we have purchased and made some gains on shares/crypto. These have been purchased using a Trading/Exchange account in my name. We disposed of some of these assets last year (withdrawn to joint bank a/c), and have more to dispose of in the future.

When calculating and reporting the taxes we owe from last year's disposal, is it possible for both of us to use our CGT allowances (€1270 each) against this?
    Or can only I report this disposal, and must only use the individual allowance?

I understand you cannot transfer allowances, but I'm wondering under what circumstances can you be jointly assessed?
    Must I officially declare (how?) that I'm transferring ownership of xyz shares/crypto to my spouse?

Advertisement