Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warranty return?

Options
  • 04-03-2021 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

I bought a mobile modem on the 1st of February and when I brought it home I noticed that the battery didn't last very long. I rang the shop up one day and they said I could drop it back and they would have a look at it. They town I bought it in is a good drive away. I had a warranty of 28 days on it and I had brought it back on the 28th of February. The man in the shop said he would replace the battery and it would cost €20. What's the whole point of a warranty so? Couldn't they flog any old faulty crap and then charge extra when you go back to the shop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

often times the warranty doesn't cover consumables and a battery would be classified as a consumable.

however under the sake of goods and supply act (not the warranty) goods must be fit for the purpose for which they are sold. If it was me, i would not rely on the warranty, i would ask for redess under the above act.

if refused, i would ask for the manager and if again no joy, i would make a formal complaint in writing etc. IE i wouldn't accept 28 days or less as an acceptable lifespan for the consumable. have you tried all other avenues of complaint?

A trip to SCC costs 25 euro, which cannot be claimed back, and a day in court. If you can fix it for €20 and a short drive ..... it may be wiser, but wouldn't leave a good taste in the mouth.

Advertisement