Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does cutting down trees help with flood defences?

Options
  • 19-02-2020 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I see the OPW are starting a new phase of flood defences in Athlone.
    Starting of course with cutting down trees.
    This time it’s young beech trees along the banks of the canal at Aloysius.
    Is there any logic to this?
    Do trees not soak up water?
    Have Westmeath county council given the OPW an open invitation to contract out tree cutting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I would have thought that would increase the runoff rate and contribute to flash flooding. Other than trees which are blocking a waterway I thought it would be better having trees than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Don't know about flood defences, but trees produce oxygen to help us breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

Generally trees make it difficult to build anything. If they are on sides, they would impede water flow.

You have to take a practical look at the area, the trees are a loss. Flood defence is a must.

Trees aren't soaking anything up at the moment - they are dormant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Reciprocity

rn wrote: »
    You have to take a practical look at the area, the trees are a loss. Flood defence is a must.

Yes you do "have to take a practical look at the area" - before you build or buy your house in a flood plain.

Why is "flood defence a must"?
    You can't buy a house in a flood plain and then expect the taxpayer to build flood defences or to bail you out when the flood plain floods. That's what flood plains are made - by nature - to do.

Pun intended. :)

I am sorry for people affected by flooding but nature is nature. There is only ever going to be one winner if we try to fight it. Stop building or buying houses in flood plains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The flooding of the last decade is worse than has been recorded before I believe. What you are saying is Athlone,a nd any town built by a river/lake should be abandoned! You can build on a flood plain if it's above the water level. You have to take into account that the water must go somewhere no you've taken the flood plain.

Back to the original question. Cutting down trees along the banks will not make flooding worse, nor will it improve it (unless the roots are blocking drainage or something). More trees need to be planted on higher ground, which would help slow the water flowing from hills/mountains to the lower levels so quickly, thus rising the river/lake faster.

And the river should be cleaned too so that the water can flow freer and get to the sea faster.

Advertisement