Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Practical Guide to Living in Canada

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BantryBayGirl

Faith wrote: »
    This is more of a "moving to BC" tip, but it's worth noting anyway:

If you take medication, bring at least 3 months worth of it with you (contraceptive pill, inhaler, anything you get on prescription). Most travel insurance won't cover routine doctor's appointments, and they won't cover 'pre-existing conditions'. The only free clinic in Vancouver is closing on October 31st, so after that date, it'll cost you up to $200 to see a GP privately. You can't get MSP until you've been here for 3 months, so don't leave yourself short or it'll cost you!

You can check with the Family Planning Clinic in your area - I used them when I 1st came to Canada - I was able to get CP for only $10-month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Hangovers are worse in higher, drier places like Calgary - more dehydration, I think. Factor that in to your plans.

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Yes, just tone it down a notch or two.

I found that in Calgary. People wouldn't catch all my syllables so I used to slow down there. Here on the east coast, there is a different problem - I have a far harder time understanding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Ardillaun wrote: »
    I found that in Calgary. People wouldn't catch all my syllables so I used to slow down there. Here on the east coast, there is a different problem - I have a far harder time understanding them.

Them Newfies......I can't understand them at all.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Hangovers are worse in higher, drier places like Calgary - more dehydration, I think. Factor that in to your plans.

I think it's a lot more to do with the cr*p beer than the lack of humidity - I can drink Molsen's no problem, but any more than about five pints of Canadian and I feel like death warmed up the following morning....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

I have been in Canada since 1982 - Used to buy them at Marks & Spencers but they closed down several years ago and I have not been able to get anything to match since - My hubby has began eating the seasoned sausages ie Italian, Garlic which you can find at any superstore.

Good Luck living here, it will never be like home, but it has many good things going for it.

Then so does Ireland. At least unlike Ukraine, Ireland and Canada are peaceful countries to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

davwain wrote: »
    Then so does Ireland. At least unlike Ukraine, Ireland and Canada are peaceful countries to live in.

Ireland is a depressing hole to live in at the moment - Government is trying to gouge anyone who still has some money for as much of it as they can. Water charges, property tax, penal insurance charges, road toll charges etc etc etc. Far too many scumbags being allowed to run riot in Ireland as well. And don't even get me started on the miserable, depressing weather... The whole place really sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Is there any main jobs website in Canada????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

www.indeed.ca indexes most of the main jobs sites (but not all, so you may still have to look more specifically).

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Is there any main jobs website in Canada????

Indeed.ca is good but I found I got more responses from Craigslist!

• Advertisement

Long Gone wrote: »
    I think it's a lot more to do with the cr*p beer than the lack of humidity - I can drink Molsen's no problem, but any more than about five pints of Canadian and I feel like death warmed up the following morning....

I spent a few weeks in San Francisco during my Calgary days and was amazed at my lack of hangovers there. Could have been the American beer but I find that unlikely as we weren't drinking anything special.

I prefer European beers to the Canadian stuff and I don't like the American IPAs. My favourite Canadian beer is Blanche de Chambly.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

Long Gone wrote: »
    Ireland is a depressing hole to live in at the moment - Government is trying to gouge anyone who still has some money for as much of it as they can. Water charges, property tax, penal insurance charges, road toll charges etc etc etc. Far too many scumbags being allowed to run riot in Ireland as well. And don't even get me started on the miserable, depressing weather... The whole place really sucks.

Only been in Canada a while and I think it's much better then Ireland even just little things like Banks opening on Saturdays, Everywhere not shutting down at 6 o clock during the week etc. One thing though is it's a lot more expensive then I expected. There will be no pub all dayers over here Pints in general are 50% more expensive then Ireland and that's before you have the tip (Tipping is probably the thing that annoys me the most so far fair enough bar / restaurant don't get paid minimum wage but why it is it up to me to make that up do they not have trade unions over here that can demand minimum wage from their employers?) Also why are the glasses not filled to the top when you order a pint and a pint here is not an actual full sized pint.

I wanted to ask is their anywhere in Toronto that where you can buy Irish rashers? The Canadian ones are ok but I miss the Irish ones already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Cheap pints and everywhere shuts down at 6pm?
    I'm guessing you're from rural Ireland?

Not really a valid comparison between Toronto and wherever you're from....

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Pints in Canada are about 10 quid. Can be more ( plus they're about 20% less than a pint size in Ireland)

Everywhere in Ireland is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Pints in Canada are about 10 quid. Can be more ( plus they're about 20% less than a pint size in Ireland)

Everywhere in Ireland is cheaper.

"Pint" size in Canada is usually 20 US oz which is 591ml. Also where are you drinking that it's $10 a pint?

Including tax and tip, a pint of craft beer is on average about $9 in Vancouver. That's ~E6. Not too different these days, especially for craft.

Wine in BC is ridiculous, though. It's cheaper to drink cocktails than have a glass of wine in most places.

"Pint" size in Canada is usually 20 US oz which is 591ml. Also where are you drinking that it's $10 a pint?

Montreal. Guinness is about 9 everywhere. Dollar tip.

I've paid 13 quid in about 7 places for whiskey and coke

el diablo wrote: »
    Cheap pints and everywhere shuts down at 6pm?
    I'm guessing you're from rural Ireland?

Not really a valid comparison between Toronto and wherever you're from....

No i'm not from rural Ireland I live in a busy city where we pay on average 4.40 for a guiness. Obviously I was talking about shops shutting down at 6. So yeah I think it is a valid comparison.

As one of the other posters said iv'e been to a few different bars since I arrived here and including the tip on average it's about $9 a pint which is over €6 even Temple Bar isn't that expensive last time I was in Dublin a few months ago I was paying €5 for a Guiness and €5.50 in some of the more expensive places.

Some pubs have a $25 cover charge for the All Ireland Final tomorrow that's before you even get a drink. $25 just gets you in the door.

stevie1122 wrote: »
    Some pubs have a $25 cover charge for the All Ireland Final tomorrow that's before you even get a drink. $25 just gets you in the door.

They have to pay a fee to show the game on TV and it's not cheap.

I understand that but $25 is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Payed 2.65 for a PINT of milk today
    expensive. It's about 80 cent at home

Payed 2.65 for a PINT of milk today
    expensive. It's about 80 cent at home

We get 4 litres in the supermarket for $4.50 (or about $1.10 per litre). The thing about groceries over here is that you get better deals if you buy in bulk. It's a bit strange but it does help keep the costs down if you buy more.

We get 4 litres in the supermarket for $4.50 (or about $1.10 per litre). The thing about groceries over here is that you get better deals if you buy in bulk. It's a bit strange but it does help keep the costs down if you buy more.

Speaking of, we bought a membership to Costco recently and it didn't seem like remotely good value for money. We went to No Frills afterwards, and it was cheaper to buy a lot of things there. For example (and not actual figures), 20 boxes of tissues in Costco was maybe $15, but 5 boxes of tissues in No Frills was $3. I'm tempted to cancel my membership. $60 to not save money is a waste of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

JT26 wrote: »
    But buying bulk tide pods,Gillette razors etc I found much cheaper there and some beers too

No beer (or alcohol) in BC Costcos :(

I find them good for meat, we stock up the freezer with chicken breasts and mince. The pallets of organic eggs are good. Love their frozen fruit, giant bags for $10-13. Highly recommend the bulk box of ice cream sandwiches :) we're addicted to those! Razors and shaving gel are good value, also the tide pods. I also got a great autumn/winter jacket there, fleece lined and waterproof for about $30. Oh and don't forget their rotisserie chickens- amazing.

Other stuff is hit and miss. Dry goods (cereal) seem to be the same price as at regular supermarkets. Fruit and veggies are good, but the quantities are a bit much for two people to get through. Cheese selection is decent and they have great dips. I used to be addicted to their 2% greek yogurt but they discontinued it :mad: Haven't tried the pharmacy yet.

Overall I think the US stores are far better in terms of selection and value, I like Costco when I manage to make a trip there but I'll probably weigh up the pros/cons before renewing my membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jesseps

As a Canadian now living in Ireland. It is interesting to see how many of you are enjoying or disliking living in Canada. Food wise, your best bet if you want something fresh, try and go to your local market. I am from Montreal, so we have many of those.

I know some of you find Canada expensive (and it just may be), but here is some perspective:

Euro 1 (Ireland incl. 23% VAT)
    Euro 0.83 (Ireland excl. 23% VAT) = CAD 1.21

CAD 1 (Quebec excl. 15% Sales Taxes) = Euro 0.68
    CAD 1.15 (Quebc incl. 15% Sales Taxes)

One thing I miss from Canada, later banking hours and better customer service (after work and on weekends).

One thing I like from Ireland so far, Garda and INIS actually answer their emails within a few minutes.

I just find it strange that the bars here close so early, compared to Montreal.

Win some, lose some.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Collinsfella

Heading over to Canada next year with a friend whoes 20 and im 19 i have 2 years retail/supervisor experience but he only has a few months as a carpenter so hes not certified , just wondering from you guys experience what's the chances of finding jobs even crappy ones and wheres a good area to head in terms of jobs,affordable rent etc and what experiences yous had when yous arrived

Heading over to Canada next year with a friend whoes 20 and im 19 i have 2 years retail/supervisor experience but he only has a few months as a carpenter so hes not certified , just wondering from you guys experience what's the chances of finding jobs even crappy ones and wheres a good area to head in terms of jobs,affordable rent etc and what experiences yous had when yous arrived

Where in Canada?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Collinsfella

Where in Canada?

Not sure exactly yet was thinking Alberta or maybe somewhere in Ontario but I was looking for peoples opinion on where is best to go

Advertisement