Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alarm

Options
  • 29-01-2017 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi folks, I have a small three bed house in the city centre,looking to get a basic alarm installed. can anyone give a rough idea of a price? Apologies if talking about money is against forum rules, if this is the case maybe someone could pm me instead.
    Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

Hi you didn't say if you are looking for a wired or wireless alarm. So if your house is prewired then the best system is wired if not wireless is the way to go . Price depends on the amount of sensors you need so every door and window down stairs fitted with shock and contact sensors and any accessible windows upstairs fitted with the same as downstairs. Then with a back up ofa motion detector or two also fitted downstairs with a ringing bell box to the front and a dummy bell box to the rear. After that you can go self monitoring through an app or text or full 24 Hour monitoring . Shop around but don't fall into the trap of getting a system only used by one company makes it impossible to move in the future.

kramer1 wrote: »
    Hi folks, I have a small three bed house in the city centre,looking to get a basic alarm installed. can anyone give a rough idea of a price? Apologies if talking about money is against forum rules, if this is the case maybe someone could pm me instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Probably go with wireless as there's no cables in place at the minute, two doors, five windows upstairs, two downstairs, not overly concerned about having it monitored, just want something that will make some noise.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

We cannot give prices out through the Forum

quote="kramer1;102447253"]Probably go with wireless as there's no cables in place at the minute, two doors, five windows upstairs, two downstairs, not overly concerned about having it monitored, just want something that will make some noise.
    Thanks[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Fair enough, thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CSIDUBLIN

kramer1 wrote: »

Shop around there's a lot of good deals out there but be carefull and stay well clear of the watch company.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Good advice.
    I always recommend getting 3 proper quotes with written system design proposals.
    Make sure everything is included especially any ongoing running costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I’m getting this every few months credit in the sim.

If it’s an issue that the signal is poor , wonder why is it so infrequent ...
    Presume change network / moved panel is other answer ?
    I’ve gone onto the menu and communicators , can’t seem to find the “ gsm signal strenght” option - where is that exactly please !

Kool kid is it possible to put this as its own post .
    Added to this post in error thks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

I’m getting this every few months credit in the sim.

If it’s an issue that the signal is poor , wonder why is it so infrequent ...
    Presume change network / moved panel is other answer ?
    I’ve gone onto the menu and communicators , can’t seem to find the “ gsm signal strenght” option - where is that exactly please !

Kool kid is it possible to put this as its own post .
    Added to this post in error thks

You would need a moderator of this forum to move the post.

What you are seeing is the installers name and phone number.
    It will flash up on the screen.

To check signal level go into engineer mode, comms menu, communicators, GSM/GPRS, then press yes on status.
    This will give you the name of network and signal strength.

You can get an extender which will be remote to the actual control panel if signal is an issue.

altor wrote: »
    You would need a moderator of this forum to move the post.

What you are seeing is the installers name and phone number.
    It will flash up on the screen.

To check signal level go into engineer mode, comms menu, communicators, GSM/GPRS, then press yes on status.
    This will give you the name of network and signal strength.

You can get an extender which will be remote to the actual control panel if signal is an issue.
    Thanks altor.
    It’s showing good signal at 60 percent.
    I’m a little puzzled as it seems to only happen very infrequently , must be dropping the signal from Eir or something , that extender you mention , is that a standalone device just to increase the signal strength ? Doubt I would need it at 60% ?
    Thanks for advice
    Paddy

Thanks altor.
    I’m a little puzzled as it seems to only happen very infrequently , must be dropping the signal from Eir or something , that extender you mention , is that a standalone device just to increase the signal strength ? Doubt I would need it at 60% ?
    Thanks for advice
    Paddy

System update / how to find the system settings to see if update is required? Anyone know , thks

• Advertisement

Thanks altor.
    Thanks for advice
    Paddy

Signal should be good at 60%
    It could well be the signal dropping on the network.
    You could increase the fault time if it is causing an issue in the signal monitor menu.
    The extender is located away from the panel but looking at 60% I wouldnt move it.

Signal should be good at 60%
    It could well be the signal dropping on the network.
    You could increase the fault time if it is causing an issue in the signal monitor menu.
    The extender is located away from the panel but looking at 60% I wouldnt move it.

Ohh that’s super. Thanks ..
    Where in the menu would I locate the “ fault time”( re read your answer Altor ! -“signal monitor menu)
    And what’s the default setting ? What would you recommend to set it to?

It’s sending “ gsm line fault “ to the 3 numbers set up. Is it possible to turn off that warning message specifically for this error going to the numbers set up ? One of the numbers is an elderly relative I’d prefer only genuine “ events” being sent out !

Thks all

Paddy

Ohh that’s super. Thanks ..
    Where in the menu would I locate the “ fault time”( re read your answer Altor ! -“signal monitor menu)
    And what’s the default setting ? What would you recommend to set it to?

It’s sending “ gsm line fault “ to the 3 numbers set up. Is it possible to turn off that warning message specifically for this error going to the numbers set up ? One of the numbers is an elderly relative I’d prefer only genuine “ events” being sent out !

Thks all

Paddy

I dont know how long this fault is lasting so you will have to work that out yourself.

You can turn off the line monitor and that will stop monitoring the line altogether.
    You can extend the time that the system looks for this fault.
    In sms menu for the user set system faults to no.

I dont know how long this fault is lasting so you will have to work that out yourself.

You can turn off the line monitor and that will stop monitoring the line altogether.
    You can extend the time that the system looks for this fault.
    In sms menu for the user set system faults to no.

Ok thks... in sms menu ....the options are ....site name ..phone menu ..send test text ..options ...test messages ...then .... back to .... site name ....

Can’t seem to see “ user set system faults in the sms menu !?

Ok thks... in sms menu ....the options are ....site name ..phone menu ..send test text ..options ...test messages ...then .... back to .... site name ....

Can’t seem to see “ user set system faults in the sms menu !?

Phone menu, phone options.

Phone menu, phone options.

Ah I’ll leave it thanks anyway. Can’t seem to turn off line monitoring.
    My system might be different.

In my SMS , menu , selecting , PHONE ...just gives options to put actual phone numbers ...

Not what I need .

Thanks all
    Paddy

Ah I’ll leave it thanks anyway. Can’t seem to turn off line monitoring.
    My system might be different.

In my SMS , menu , selecting , PHONE ...just gives options to put actual phone numbers ...

Not what I need .

Thanks all
    Paddy

Phone menu, press yes, scroll through the options and you should have, phone number, phone name, phone type, phone option.
    Phone option is what you are looking for.

Thanks Altor.

I followed that in sequence exactly.

When I go into Phone Options menu , it shows the phone number (3)
    that are programmed to ring on an event.

I know Im near it!!!! , not there as i say , its only the numbers, to send event too.

Thanks Altor.

I followed that in sequence exactly.

When I go into Phone Options menu , it shows the phone number (3)
    that are programmed to ring on an event.

I know Im near it!!!! , not there as i say , its only the numbers, to send event too.

SMS menu, press yes, scroll to Phone menu, press yes.
    Press the hash button and it should let you scroll through the menu.
    Phone number, phone name, phone type, phone option.

SMS menu, press yes, scroll to Phone menu, press yes.
    Press the hash button and it should let you scroll through the menu.
    Phone number, phone name, phone type, phone option.

Yap thats exactly what I just did now. Its 100% as you say!
    No problem at all getting to phone options ( from sms menu)
    When I press YES to phone options, p 1 p2 p3 which have allocated numbers show , also p4 p5 which are blank as there are no numbers allocated there,.

I can find nothing at all re: GSM ! I was hoping to turn off reporting GSM fault reporting .... no worries - ill play around with it at weekend might come across it.
    Thks for taking the time to help
    Paddy

• Advertisement
Advertisement