Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Cutbacks The Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,968 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

“Paddy o Gorman goes out with stags and hens in carrick on Shannon”

Ffs. Such tripe RTÉ serve

Would be nice if these subjective rants about what individual people like or dislike could be kept for an AH thread.
    You cannot run an organisation on subjective tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

McGaggs wrote: »
    Hired a van a couple of years ago and it only seemed to have dab radio.

They've dropped all the DAB stations?

Lyric benefitted greatly from the sound quality. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

RTE should consist of 1 radio station, 1 tv station and a web service, all of which are concentrated on providing real public service output.

If people want to watch chat shows, sport, soap operas or reality tv sh1te there are countless options available for them on the commercial networks.

The tv license should cost citizens no more than €50 a year.

RTE is an anachronistic dinosaur who operate financially on the assumption that everyone is still living in 1980's 2-channel land. There is absolutely no need for it in its current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,608 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Boggles my dear I don’t hate nor despise anyone!

But I do know a huge proportion of RTÉ listeners are absolutely amazed the money that has been thrown at ray Darcy for his simpleton level radio and tv shows. The wife and will profiting along with him

How do you know a "huge proportion of RTE listeners".? I know you have "contacts" literally everywhere, but still. :confused:

The question posed was would he make it in private radio, he did and he has. He has also grown the numbers in the slot he took over in RTE.

I'm not a fan and I think he is paid too much, but like I said the people in charge cannot make business decisions based on the voices in some randoms person head on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I will miss rte gold just as it was getting a life of its own with good presenters. those presenters are mostly rte employees not contract staff so what are they going to do with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Boggles wrote: »
    How do you know a "huge proportion of RTE listeners".? I know you have "contacts" literally everywhere, but still. :confused:

The question posed was would he make it in private radio, he did and he has. He has also grown the numbers in the slot he took over in RTE.

I'm not a fan and I think he is paid too much, but like I said the people in charge cannot make business decisions based on the voices in some randoms person head on the internet.

I am sceptical about his so called popularity. I regularly hear ppl bitterly criticize him and cannot hand on heart say I’ve ever heard someone say they are a fan of either his radio or tv show

Anyway, moving on I would say call his bluff offer him a rock bottom fee and I suspect he will take it. If not, no hard feelings ray it’s not personal

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I will miss rte gold just as it was getting a life of its own with good presenters. those presenters are mostly rte employees not contract staff so what are they going to do with them?

Some of the 200 lay offs I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Virgin Media don't need a license and are starting to move ahead of RTE in terms of watchability.
    thats the best laugh I have had in years....

I wonder will this be discussed on the LiveLine today?

I'm guessing no hope, like always.

RTE salaries and cutbacks are never discussed as it means Joe's wages might come up.

I am sceptical about his so called popularity. I regularly hear ppl bitterly criticize him and cannot hand on heart say I’ve ever heard someone say they are a fan of either his radio or tv show

I thought you were basing it on you personally knowing a "huge proportion of RTE listeners". :confused:

That was downgraded quite quickly. :pac:
    Anyway, moving on I would say call his bluff offer him a rock bottom fee and I suspect he will take it. If not, no hard feelings ray it’s not personal

That's the very definition of personal. :confused:

• Advertisement

Some RTÉ Union guy on morning Ireland now trying to throw the cutback plan into the bin before it is even announced. Typical montrose craic

Boggles wrote: »
    I thought you were basing it on you personally knowing a "huge proportion of RTE listeners". :confused:

That was downgraded quite quickly. :pac:

That's the very definition of personal. :confused:

Sorry now it’s business not personal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Who the hell is this? Any other company laying off people gets 2 minutes mention and straight to the sports results.

Edit: Seamus Dooley of the NUJ

Some RTUnion guy on morning Ireland now trying to throw the cutback plan into the bin before it is even announced. Typical montrose craic

He'd be happy for the taxpayer to continue to bail out a badly run business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Heard Brian Dobson interview Dee Forbes this morning. He showed no mercy.
    Was a tough interview which I reckon she regretted doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭blackbox

How much does Marty Morrissey pay them to appear on TV?

Maybe they could charge him a bit more without giving him any more airtime?

Who the hell is this? Any other company laying off people gets 2 minutes mention and straight to the sports results.

I made that exact point earlier.

RTÉ see themselves as “really special”. They will happily take up most of the flagship morning national news programme discussing internal RTÉ industrial relations.

That’s rte’s problems in a nutshell.

They see nothing wrong and think they should clog up the national airwaves just because someone has the temerity to suggest some cuts to their narnia wonderland that joe taxpayer has been propping up for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I posted it during the rugby world cup but for the NZ game, RTÉ had 4 pundits in the studio and a presenter. They even flew Michael Lynagh in for 2 days, no doubt flights and accommodation were included.

They also sent a commentary team, cameramen, sound and producers to Japan for 2 months. All of this when they could have just used the World English Feed Commentary which had Eddie Buttler doing the big game of the day.

For last year they said they lost money by doing the Football World Cup. How is that even possible?

They are a company with notions far above their station

Glad Lyric is saved. Great station.

Very much so. Best station of the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Dublin has no drinking water.

Let's pay to keep RTE in the style to which it has become accustomed.

• Advertisement

RTÉ see themselves as “really special”. They will happily take up most of the flagship morning national news programme discussing internal RTÉ industrial relations.

They see nothing wrong and think they should clog up the national airwaves just because someone has the temerity to suggest some cuts to their narnia wonderland that joe taxpayer has been propping up for decades.

You are top poster on a thread about it. :pac:

Thanks boggles. I am a top poster yes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

In fairness, Pat Kenny did leave to non state funded Newstalk. But I remember him specifically saying his pay was going down in the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Calhoun wrote: »
    Some comments on some of the questionable ones.

the Joe Duffy ad comment

I listen most days and I swear 90% of the ads are for RTE shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I posted it during the rugby world cup but for the NZ game, RTÉ had 4 pundits in the studio and a presenter. They even flew Michael Lynagh in for 2 days, no doubt flights and accommodation were included.

They also sent a commentary team, cameramen, sound and producers to Japan for 2 months. All of this when they could have just used the World English Feed Commentary which had Eddie Buttler doing the big game of the day.

For last year they said they lost money by doing the Football World Cup. How is that even possible?

They didn't even show most of the World Cup. The interest they have in sports is leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Re TV licence, mine was up for renewal at end of October, still no notice in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Dee Forbes on RTÉ Radio saying that they are moving big Sporting events to RTE1 and will start using RTE2 to link viewers towards the RTE Player.

The RTE Player that doest work.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yep, it's the same with soccer coverage. Back in the studio, an anchorman and 3 pundits discussing a game is way overkill.

Should be 1 pundit for most games. I expect this kind of over-staffing occurs all the way down i.e. not just what we see on screen.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I would see it as 2 things

1. If they shy away from it they will be called out as hiding away from making 200 people jobless
    2. They can manage the message to push Forbes idea of broadcasting charge, without tackling the systemic issues in RTÉ such as the permanent staff numbers and the insistence of having their headquarters in a sprawling DonnyBrook campus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Maybe I'm missing something but how does moving sports to RTE 1 save money? They still have to pay the rights.

stick a cheap movie on RTE2 and fill rte1 with the little sport they have left i guess

as aside i dont think ive heard bryan dobson as annoyed about anything as this when he was "interviewing" dee forbes on morning ireland this morning.

shame he cant get that animated about some real issues

Advertisement