Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange job offer (apprenticeship)

• 22-10-2020 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

My son is not on Boards :pac:

He had an interview with a large engineering company last week. Did a fantastic interview (well, his words!) but was pretty confident.

He has just received a text from HR to confirm a start date for induction. He hasn't received an email of offer, etc.

Is it different for apprenticeships?? :confused: should he contact the company??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Strange that a large engineering company would make a job offer like this.

1) Congrats to your son.

2) Sure why not give them a ring and enquire about contract and any other questions he has (dress code, start time, etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Hi folks

He had an interview with a large engineering company last week. Did a fantastic interview (well, his words!) but was pretty confident.

He has just received a text from HR to confirm a start date for induction. He hasn't received an email of offer, etc.

Is it different for apprenticeships?? :confused: should he contact the company??

Contract, money etc should be agreed before any induction or work.

Give them a call and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Thanks folks

He got a text from HR informing him of induction dates, etc. but that is about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks folks

He got a text from HR informing him of induction dates, etc. but that is about it

So what did they say when he called them and asked?

( It may even be a test to see if he has any gumption is part of the process!)

So what did they say when he called them and asked?

( It may even be a test to see if he has any gumption is part of the process!)

He hasn't called them. Strange part of the process :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

He should phone and simply politely ask them. They could be up to something by not showing him the contract until later. But it could just as easily be an innocent error where they sent him the induction details without sending him the contract by mistake.

Just have him phone them or even e-mail if he can't handle picking up the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

It's just one hand not knowing what the other is doing, happens all the time especially with bigger companies.

HR presumably got told he was being offered the job before he was told himself.

He can just give them a bell. No big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Not necessarily true. I work in the HSE and only just received my contract after my first week of work. The pay scales are communicated in job application stage. I think the law is contract should be given within the first 5 days of employment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

It's an apprenticeship he will be getting apprentice standard wages and hours. Apprentices fall under different rules to standard employees. Turn up for induction and take it from there.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/vocational_education_and_training/apprenticeships.html#

Thanks folks.

I'm just used to a whole rigmarole when I work. I would have thought an apprenticeship had to have a medical??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Not when it comes to an apprenticeship, wages are pre determined.

OP it does seem a bit lack luster of the company but as suggested his name probably came across a desk and some one assumed a few steps had already been done. Apprentices in particular first years are basically cheap labour and if a large company can be taken on several at a time to weed out the useless lads.

I would have thought an apprenticeship had to have a medical??

Sorry but that's hilarious and if true my how apprenticeships have changed. An apprentice gets to go to work and if he's lucky he won't be doing many Saturdays. That's about the only perk. :D

I read that as should have medical cover :D

An electrical apprenticeship will have to do a colour vision test. That's the only requirement I'm aware of for any apprenticeship.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Sorry but that's hilarious and if true my how apprenticeships have changed. An apprentice gets to go to work and if he's lucky he won't be doing many Saturdays. That's about the only perk. :D

Lol. I should be in HR.

You ain't selling an apprenticeship. Is it that bad ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Hi folks

Apprenticeship rates are already predetermined, by chance is he going to be working in a major project out in leixlip? Companies out there are clamouring for staff so just trying to get them on site and all other stuff will come after.

I read that as should have medical cover :D

An electrical apprenticeship will have to do a colour vision test. That's the only requirement I'm aware of for any apprenticeship.

That's even funnier. I'm working 25 years and still no medical cover lol

Lol. I should be in HR.

You ain't selling an apprenticeship. Is it that bad ??

It depends how good your son is at applying himself the lads that listen and do will excel and find themselves doing well. The lads that spend all day telling experienced lads how great they are will be doing the shop run and used for the empty head they are.

First year is a bit crap for most particularly with larger companies. What kind of apprenticeship is he going for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

He will have a standard rate and hours until qualified.

He will get roughly 200 a week to start and after one year maybe 350 or something, in a big company he might have to walk around most of the day getting lists of what the qualified lads want for lunch, if they like him they might give him teaching time and attention, if he is a little ****e he will have to wait till he goes to school before he learns anything.

It depends how good your son is at applying himself the lads that listen and do will excel and find themselves doing well. The lads that spend all day telling experienced lads how great they are will be doing the shop run and used for the empty head they are.

First year is a bit crap for most particularly with larger companies. What kind of apprenticeship is he going for?

To be fair, he's a very hard worker. He will apply himself and he knows he will have to work his arse off. It's an electrician apprenticeship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

He will have a standard rate and hours until qualified.

He will get roughly 200 a week to start and after one year maybe 350 or something, in a big company he might have to walk around most of the day getting lists of what the qualified lads want for lunch, if they like him they might give him teaching time and attention, if he is a little ****e he will have to wait till he goes to school before he learns anything.

If he’s a little sh***e, his day will mostly consist of looking for glass hammers, buckets of steam & skirting ladders!

Ah now I have Irish mammy syndrome. Is it that bad ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Ah now I have Irish mammy syndrome. Is it that bad ???

Electrical industrial especially at the moment is a great trade to be getting into. If he has an aptitude for it and is willing he can have a good career at it. Plenty oppurtunity to get off the tools too once he has the experience and he can take his qualification and find work in most of the world.

To be fair, he's a very hard worker. He will apply himself and he knows he will have to work his arse off. It's an electrician apprenticeship

He'll be grand, if you can find one try and get him and E&I (electrical & instrumentation) apprenticeship. He'll get a lot more exposure to PLCs and programming which will lead him into handier gigs than a typical spark would find himself in.

Is the large company named after the closest planet to the sun? I ask as back when I was working as a project manager taking on sparks I used to pass over CVs of lads coming from said company as they were well known for being good at one thing and little else.

He'll be grand, if you can find one try and get him and E&I (electrical & instrumentation) apprenticeship. He'll get a lot more exposure to PLCs and programming which will lead him into handier gigs than a typical spark would find himself in.

Is the large company named after the closest planet to the sun? I ask as back when I was working as a project manager taking on sparks I used to pass over CVs of lads coming from said company as they were well known for being good at one thing and little else.

Yes it is that company. Oh that feedback doesn't sound great :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks folks.

I'm just used to a whole rigmarole when I work. I would have thought an apprenticeship had to have a medical??

They did it in the interview:
    Two arms - two legs - walks - talks.

Yes it is that company. Oh that feedback doesn't sound great :mad:

It's a good place to start and get him going. They have some good contracts coming up and are generally busy which is a good thing. He could be sent to the four corners though so keep that in mind.

They're not the worst company, pay the rates no questions asked and a first year is very similar no matter where he will be. If he finds himself being continually used as cheap labour into his late second or third year I'd be looking elsewhere.

Keep an eye for E&I apprenticeships though. I think ESB were offering them recently. Again ESB does have the potential to become a one trick pony and the days of lifetime jobs there are all but gone but you can get some interesting roles. He could very easily end up on one of the design or project management teams post apprenticeship and they have it cruisy :D

I say all this as an industrial spark come electrical engineer which thinking back on it now has done quite the variety of roles. :D It's the person more than the qualification that holds you back and I'm sure he'll be fine. The trade will get him up and running then there's plenty of courses he can advance in should he wish.

They did it in the interview:
    Two arms - two legs - walks - talks Listens.

Fixed that for you ;), that's usually a negative with first years.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭secman

Did he pass the colour vision test ? We had a set of twins in last week for interviews, they had almost identical LC results, both did well in the interview, they hadn't completed the colour vision test and were instructed to do it.. they both failed it unfortunately and now can't pursue an electrical apprenticeship, pitied them .
    As alluded to sbove the pay rates are set out in the SEO as are the electricians rates of pay
    A lazy apprentice can get pigeon holed on a big site but the guy who is eager to learn and constantly looking to improve will be spotted and tasked with more and as he gains trust will be utilized more too. 5/8 's are plentiful so if he's not one he will be fine.
    Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Prospectors

Just make sure the employer registers him with SOLAS as soon as possible after starting. I think they are obliged to register him within a specified time (2 weeks possibly?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭secman

Just make sure the employer registers him with SOLAS as soon as possible after starting. I think they are obliged to register him within a specified time (2 weeks possibly?)

We have a 3 months trial period....and we still get caught with the odd one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

If he's for Intel they'll have had to go through a few hoops to get him on the induction.

Site is mask 100% of the time.

Decent site to work on and a decent company he's going in with.

As said above if he's a good worker he'll be fine.
    Be warned I've seen several apprentices quit week 1 or 2 when they realise they get the most mudane tasks for the first 6 months.
    But someone has to do them and if he's any use it won't be him for long.

Best of luck to him.

secman wrote: »
    Did he pass the colour vision test ? We had a set of twins in last week for interviews, they had almost identical LC results, both did well in the interview, they hadn't completed the colour vision test and were instructed to do it.. they both failed it unfortunately and now can't pursue an electrical apprenticeship, pitied them .

I don't think that writes them off entirely, I recall working with a guy doing cctv and alarms and he served some form of apprenticeship even though he was green/red colour blind.

secman wrote: »
    As alluded to sbove the pay rates are set out in the SEO as are the electricians rates of pay
    A lazy apprentice can get pigeon holed on a big site but the guy who is eager to learn and constantly looking to improve will be spotted and tasked with more and as he gains trust will be utilized more too. 5/8 's are plentiful so if he's not one he will be fine.
    Best of luck to him.

He got the colour vision test. Thanks

If he's for Intel they'll have had to go through a few hoops to get him on the induction.

Site is mask 100% of the time.

Decent site to work on and a decent company he's going in with.

As said above if he's a good worker he'll be fine.
    Be warned I've seen several apprentices quit week 1 or 2 when they realise they get the most mudane tasks for the first 6 months.
    But someone has to do them and if he's any use it won't be him for long.

Best of luck to him.

He's for Facebook, think it's the data centre in Blanchardstown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

He's for Facebook, think it's the data centre in Blanchardstown

Grand.
    Was out there plenty too.
    Well run spot.
    As or Intel they've to book the induction etc.
    More clonee than blanch

Grand.
    Was out there plenty too.
    Well run spot.
    As or Intel they've to book the induction etc.
    More clonee than blanch

Thanks WB. He's dying to get started. Fingers crossed he'll survive :D

• Advertisement

Thanks. E&I is probably his ideal but he will give this 100% ..fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

Very interesting topic. Firm's are finding it very difficult to get apprentices. I would imagine an employer would try and keep a newbie sweet. If you were to forewarn your son about glass hammers etc. it might help. I told my two "ANGELS" to come back on the job at finishing time, if they were sent on an errant like, black paint with white spot's. Also if they were being slagged to laugh it off. If you laugh when your being slagged it takes the fun out of it for them.

Hopefully it will go well for him. He is determined to make it work :D

Advertisement