Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money put in my account not mine

Options
  • 21-10-2020 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭

I'm sure I know the answer anyway but I'll ask. There was money put in my account today which isn't mine. It's obviously a mistake. I've been on hold to the bank for too long had to hang up and the nearest branch is too far away. Is there anyway I can figure out where this came from so I can sort it out ASAP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Unlikely you can figure out where it came from. Unless the sender's details are visible when you click on the transaction in your online account?

There's no great urgency i.e. you can't be guilty of a crime if there's a delay in getting it sorted and you don't spend the money. Drop an e-mail to the bank's help desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I'm sure I know the answer anyway but I'll ask. There was money put in my account today which isn't mine. It's obviously a mistake. I've been on hold to the bank for too long had to hang up and the nearest branch is too far away. Is there anyway I can figure out where this came from so I can sort it out ASAP.

"YOU" cannot and should not sort it out, "someone" made a mistake, might not be the bank, whom ever lodged the money might have made a mistake.

All you can do is inform the bank of the error, i assume you are 500% sure the money is not yours.

Send them an email, and forget about it, unless you are undergoing a means test with Social welfare, it cannot do you any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭893bet

How much money are you talking?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The bank should be able to send it back to wherever it came from

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭micks_address

Are you sure it's not a mortgage overcharge error or something like that? We had some refunds a few years ago that had me wondering until bank wrote out a few weeks later saying they overcharged and were refunding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

It's mine Paulie, I just left it 'resting' in your account. I'll pm you my details and you can pop it back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

amdublin wrote: »
    The bank should be able to send it back to wherever it came from

They might not, if it was a cash lodgement at a branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That's why they normally insist that the lodger's name, address and phone number are written on the lodgement slip. But in a lot of banks you can do a drop in a mail box so it's possible for someone to do a lodgement without giving their details. Which would be a dumb thing to do in case you entered the wrong payee details and they couldn't trace you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

That's true. I just assumed it was an electronic transfer.

If it is a cash lodgement, the bank can put it in a suspense account and just wait for some eejit to contact them saying that their lodgement never went through

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I got it sorted guys. Cheers. Turns out I was overpaid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement