Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illness Benefit Appeal

Options
  • 20-10-2020 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I applied for illness benefit (short-term illness that had me out of work for a couple of weeks) and was denied it as I didn't have enough PRSI contributions in 2017/2018 (due to college and travelling)

If I appeal, is there any chance that they'll look at my credits for the last two years and give it to me or is it always based on what I was doing two to three years ago?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The qualifiying criteria are laid out on the DSP website, you either qualify or you don't. On what grounds do you think an appeal might be succesful? If they allow discretion, the whole system falls apart because whether you get the benefit or not will come down to the local official and whether they're in a good mood on the day. The system doesn't work like that.

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/ddf6e3-illness-benefit/#how-to-qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

coylemj wrote: »
    The qualifying criteria are laid out on the DSP website, you either qualify or you don't. On what grounds do you think an appeal might be succesful? If they allow discretion, the whole system falls apart because whether you get the benefit or not will come down to the local official and whether they're in a good mood on the day. The system doesn't work like that.

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/ddf6e3-illness-benefit/#how-to-qualify

I've actually looked into it and I think my PRSI may be wrong for those years.

I worked in the same job from 2015-2018, but in 2017 the accountant left and someone else in the office just took over payroll as they weren't being replaced.

I was paid fortnightly in 2017 and 2018. It says I have 22 paid contributions in 2017. There was usually no work available for the same 4-6 weeks every year so I went travelling during this time and when I saw I was short contributions, I assumed it was to do with that. However, it was explained to me today that PRSI contributions are made weekly. I worked every week outside of that 4-6 period in 2017 so when I thought about it today, I should have at least 40 PRSI contributions for the year.

I'm not sure how payroll works but seeing as I was paid fortnightly, I'd imagine there's a chance that the person who took over input something wrong and only half the number of PRSI contributions I should have had made were logged.

I'm not sure how to go about clarifying this as I've moved home since and wouldn't know where to start when looking for my old payslips or how to check this.

Advertisement