Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work physical environment is getting me down

• 12-10-2020 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

My work physical environment is getting me down, bit of a strange problem, I know.

I've just started a new job in a tight knit industry, I can't say much more, as it could identify me.

Due to covid social distancing, I've been sent out to work in a recently acquired building adjacent to the main work building.

While I know I am lucky to have a job right now and I know that there's horrific things happening right now in the world.

But this physical environment is filling me with dread and gloom each day going to work.

It is dark, the ceiling is leaking (reported to management several times, it appears now it will never be fixed, the heating stopped worked and wasn't repaired for 4 days. The building and the main work building is prone to vandalism from teenagers who like to smoke and drink there after hours. Recently, glass was smashed in my building, boss made me feel like I was making a fuss and the shattered panes were left for a whole day, still not fully repaired., shattered pieces of glass on the floor.

The staff are the soundest, nicest people to work with, so that is a big plus, the job is near me.

In this industry, temporary employees who look for their standard basic rights are quickly labelled as trouble makers and it makes it difficult to get jobs. The managers can often be power trippers and treat temporary staff badly.There's not much else out there at the moment for me to make the jump and switch jobs to get out of this hellhole.

I've tried to reason with myself and look at the positives but I spend all of Sunday filled with dread and each morning I feel a heaviness going in to work in this building.

Any thoughts/ideas suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

yes just leave have respect for yourself and your worth. Apply for unemployment if you can get it life is too short to be miserable 40 hrs plus per week. The workplace should be a welcoming and warm heated and lit environment leaks & cold are not acceptable even with virus as an excuse. Go quickley as the environment is actually bad for your mental health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

life is too short for that carry on. If you can live off unemployment pay for a bit - leave. Its 8 hours a day of bulls..t and on your mind after your shift ends... not worth it....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

No way I’d put up with that sort of ****.
    Look for another job, don’t leave the old one until you were successful. It’s much easier to find employment if you are currently working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭2 fast

Jequ0n wrote: »
    No way I’d put up with that sort of ****.
    Look for another job, don’t leave the old one until you were successful. It’s much easier to find employment if you are currently working

This I don't agree with!
    I've walked from places like that and found employment easier than when already employed. As I could start sooner and was open to more.
    Get out before the place gets worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

2 fast wrote: »
    This I don't agree with!
    I've walked from places like that and found employment easier than when already employed. As I could start sooner and was open to more.
    Get out before the place gets worse!

Plain stupidity in the current market situation. Temp work was mentioned so chances are unlikely that OP has a 3 month notice period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,838 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My two cents on this is research where you are going next if you do.
    I know somebody who worked somewhere and it was a little niche and no matter where they worked the conditions were brutal mainly from vandalism.
    So try and make sure your not going from one bad place to another when you like the people where you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

I'd say take some pics of the bad conditions too if you need to get dole, they will surely have to give it straight away rather than the 9 weeks as you left the job as being in a run down place of work like that would be dangerous to your health

Advertisement