Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to drive

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Just wanted to pop on and thank everyone again for all the replies because you all really made me think about my situation from another perspective.

I spoke to my driving instructor and he advised me to buy a car so thats what I have done and I actually got a really good deal on the car but especially the insurance.
    Because I had insurance taken out with the same company on my parents car I was able to get a cheaper quote and will be able to get refunded the money spent on the other insurance. In the end I spent way under what I had expected so im really pleased.

Ive also signed up for a part time course.
    Ive redone my cv and from tomorrow will start posting it and handing it into places so fingers crossed.

Thanks again

Good on you, that's all really positive, and very impressive. I'm hoping the next updates we hear are with your start date for a new job, and that you've passed your test!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

That's great news, you really took control of the situation and found a solution. Well done.

Now once you get a job then next thing you should focus on is getting out of your parent's house. You've already proved you can be independent. It may take time but I think it should be your goal.

And sign up for your test! Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP my dad is one of the best teachers I know. I have watched and listened and learned so much from him. But the one thing I could never do, was drive with him when I was learning. My nerves were gone. His nerves were gone. My mam doesn't drive, so I took lessons in my own car. The instructor used to meet me at my house and we'd leave together in my car. I'm not sure whether instructors still do that, or whether you'd want to go to that expense?

Alternatively, if spontaneously asking your mum is a bit daunting, could you make an arrangement of picking one night a week where you both go out together? So you both know in advance that day?

When I was learning it was well known NEVER to drive as a learner with family! NOT EVER. This thread shows why..

I was very lucky in having a friend who let me drive her and her little girl in my car for long journeys when I had the basics.

And yes, having my own small car helped massively. I knew I would pass sooner or later . As the OP will.

There must be some way to find a driver to accompany you. I did not pass first time and what helped me pass at last was the long drives I had done. It is a matter of experience and practice. And confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 wrote: »
    When I was learning it was well known NEVER to drive as a learner with family! NOT EVER. This thread shows why..

I was very lucky in having a friend who let me drive her and her little girl in my car for long journeys when I had the basics.

And yes, having my own small car helped massively. I knew I would pass sooner or later . As the OP will.

There must be some way to find a driver to accompany you. I did not pass first time and what helped me pass at last was the long drives I had done. It is a matter of experience and practice. And confidence.

Only just seen your post. well done !

Advertisement