Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learning to drive

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Thank you everyone for the helpful replies, I very much appreciate you taking the time.
    This thread has given me lots to think about and I think I will bite the bullet and book a test within the next week. Theres such a backlog it will be next year by the time I do it anyway and if I feel im not ready when the time comes, I can always reschedule but it gives me something to work towards so definitely worth booking.

As for getting my own car, the insurance on my mothers car has already gone through so at the minute I cant afford to take out insurance on another car + the cost of buying a car and all the other costs that go along with it which I priced as working out at about 8 - 10K.

It was suggested that I buy an old cheap car but as a first time driver I wont be able to get insurance on a car thats over 10 years old and the older and cheaper the car, the more expensive the insurance so either way buying a starter car on the cheap isnt an option. Ive gotten insurance quotes of up to 6.5K, the cheapest I came across was 3k and thats with a small 1.2 ltr relatively new second hand car from 2016 up. The car itself cost 4k.

It's just not a feasible option right now unfortunately but hopefully by Christmas I can start thinking about it.

Sorry I dont know where you are getting this from but I think you need to do some more research.

You absolutely CAN get insured on a car that is 10 years or older, yes it is a bit more difficult but do able, and if you put your parents on as named drivers it will bring down your premium.

I'm a learner driver and I bought a 08 semi automatic this year and got fully comprehensive insurance with one 55+ older family member as named driver and my premium was 1800e, car itself was less than 3K.

My instructor has said he is happy to go out with me in my car, he has assessed me to a standard that he's happy to do this.

I was also told by 3 different instructors over the years that I was never going to improve further without my own car and they were correct. It just clicked when i had my own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 L.driver12345

scrumqueen wrote: »
    Sorry I dont know where you are getting this from but I think you need to do some more research.

You absolutely CAN get insured on a car that is 10 years or older, yes it is a bit more difficult but do able, and if you put your parents on as named drivers it will bring down your premium.

I'm a learner driver and I bought a 08 semi automatic this year and got fully comprehensive insurance with one 55+ older family member as named driver and my premium was 1800e, car itself was less than 3K.

My instructor has said he is happy to go out with me in my car, he has assessed me to a standard that he's happy to do this.

I was also told by 3 different instructors over the years that I was never going to improve further without my own car and they were correct. It just clicked when i had my own car.

Thanks for replying I rang around different insurance companies and they all told me that the car should be under 10 years old as a first time driver I wont get insured on an older car.
    It sounds like you were able to get insured on an older car because your parents helped you out. I dont have a named driver to put down and my parents arent helping me.

Thanks for replying I rang around different insurance companies and they all told me that the car should be under 10 years old as a first time driver I wont get insured on an older car.
    It sounds like you were able to get insured on an older car because your parents helped you out. I dont have a named driver to put down and my parents arent helping me.

My parents didn't help me out. The car is registered in my name and insured as me the primary owner, you can add additional drivers to bring down your quote. I got mine from the AA, and i received quotes from a few others.

I assume, since your parents were willing to have you on their insurance adding them as named drivers to your insurance in order to bring down your quote shouldn't be a big ask, wont cost them anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,825 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What age are you OP?

My parents didn't help me out. The car is registered in my name and insured as me the primary owner, you can add additional drivers to bring down your quote. I got mine from the AA, and i received quotes from a few others.

I assume, since your parents were willing to have you on their insurance adding them as named drivers to your insurance in order to bring down your quote shouldn't be a big ask, wont cost them anything.

Thanks scrumqueen for this info. I know my parents arent going to help me, its not even about the money its just the way they are. They put me on the insurance and I payed for it but wont allow me to drive the car. Its very hard to explain as I know its probably not the usual type of experience that people have with their parents or family members, they just dont want to help. I really need to find a way to do this entirely on my own without the help of anyone because I really dont know people that can help. Im quiet, introverted and wouldnt have a very big social circle. My family is small and I only see extended family at funerals. I know a few comments have said that im not thinking outside the box and should get a bus to someone but I dont have anyone, I have no reason to lie here im just saying the facts. I can only rely on myself, putting anyone on the insurance, asking friends or family to help with practice I cant do any of that.

I just want to know how I can do it without the assistance of other people because it feels a bit hopeless and feel like I keep running into brick walls.

Thanks scrumqueen for this info. I know my parents arent going to help me, its not even about the money its just the way they are. They put me on the insurance and I payed for it but wont allow me to drive the car. Its very hard to explain as I know its probably not the usual type of experience that people have with their parents or family members, they just dont want to help. I really need to find a way to do this entirely on my own without the help of anyone because I really dont know people that can help. Im quiet, introverted and wouldnt have a very big social circle. My family is small and I only see extended family at funerals. I know a few comments have said that im not thinking outside the box and should get a bus to someone but I dont have anyone, I have no reason to lie here im just saying the facts. I can only rely on myself, putting anyone on the insurance, asking friends or family to help with practice I cant do any of that.

I just want to know how I can do it without the assistance of other people because it feels a bit hopeless and feel like I keep running into brick walls.

OK, fair enough. Look families can be difficult, and I have come across parents like yours before and worse. As one of the other posters above pointed out, and I'd agree, maybe you should try get a different job that doesn't require driving. That way, you can build up some savings while living at home and get financially independent and away from your parents. Then focus on the driving when you have the means to not have to be in a position to ask your family for anything.

OK, fair enough. Look families can be difficult, and I have come across parents like yours before and worse. As one of the other posters above pointed out, and I'd agree, maybe you should try get a different job that doesn't require driving. That way, you can build up some savings while living at home and get financially independent and away from your parents. Then focus on the driving when you have the means to not have to be in a position to ask your family for anything.

I know ive been trying to get different jobs, ill keep looking.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,825 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Going by this OP. Your only option is to get as my lessons with an instructor as possible.
    Unless you advertise somewhere or ask a neighbor will they sit into a car with you and accompany you but you’d be paying them also.
    Often if you ring insurance companies they’ll give you a quote. I’m helping somebody learn to drive at the moment and they got a comprehensive quote with AXA for €2000 on a twelve year old car. They were over 25 tough and it didn’t cost anything to put me on their insurance as a names driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

Hi OP,

God I really feel for you, your parents sound so unsupportive. Learning to drive now is a totally different thing thing to what it was 20 years ago when I learned or your parents learned. It is so much more expensive and so onerous. What struck me though is how horrible your parents sound. So I am going to go totally rogue here and suggest you look for a job in a town or city where you can rent a room in a house share and move away from them. If you live in a town/city there will be less immediate need to learn. Working and living away you might even build up a support network of friends through work and a house share.

Do you have qualifications? Is there a reason why you are still living at home? Is moving to a town or city something you might consider.

I know its a scary prospect to move away from an unhealthy family dynamic (I've done it) but I would fear if you don't you will be in exactly the same place in 5 or 10 years....

I know its hard to save a deposit but perhaps a local community welfare officer could help.

I don't think you can get through life without the assistance of others to be honest. So maybe focus on getting away from this unhealthy and lonely house and getting out into the world to find your tribe. Trust me when i say it is not impossible at all

• Advertisement

Just wanted to pop on and thank everyone again for all the replies because you all really made me think about my situation from another perspective.

I spoke to my driving instructor and he advised me to buy a car so thats what I have done and I actually got a really good deal on the car but especially the insurance.
    Because I had insurance taken out with the same company on my parents car I was able to get a cheaper quote and will be able to get refunded the money spent on the other insurance. In the end I spent way under what I had expected so im really pleased.

Ive also signed up for a part time course.
    Ive redone my cv and from tomorrow will start posting it and handing it into places so fingers crossed.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Just wanted to pop on and thank everyone again for all the replies because you all really made me think about my situation from another perspective.

I spoke to my driving instructor and he advised me to buy a car so thats what I have done and I actually got a really good deal on the car but especially the insurance.
    Because I had insurance taken out with the same company on my parents car I was able to get a cheaper quote and will be able to get refunded the money spent on the other insurance. In the end I spent way under what I had expected so im really pleased.

Ive also signed up for a part time course.
    Ive redone my cv and from tomorrow will start posting it and handing it into places so fingers crossed.

Thanks again

Good on you, that's all really positive, and very impressive. I'm hoping the next updates we hear are with your start date for a new job, and that you've passed your test!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

That's great news, you really took control of the situation and found a solution. Well done.

Now once you get a job then next thing you should focus on is getting out of your parent's house. You've already proved you can be independent. It may take time but I think it should be your goal.

And sign up for your test! Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP my dad is one of the best teachers I know. I have watched and listened and learned so much from him. But the one thing I could never do, was drive with him when I was learning. My nerves were gone. His nerves were gone. My mam doesn't drive, so I took lessons in my own car. The instructor used to meet me at my house and we'd leave together in my car. I'm not sure whether instructors still do that, or whether you'd want to go to that expense?

Alternatively, if spontaneously asking your mum is a bit daunting, could you make an arrangement of picking one night a week where you both go out together? So you both know in advance that day?

When I was learning it was well known NEVER to drive as a learner with family! NOT EVER. This thread shows why..

I was very lucky in having a friend who let me drive her and her little girl in my car for long journeys when I had the basics.

And yes, having my own small car helped massively. I knew I would pass sooner or later . As the OP will.

There must be some way to find a driver to accompany you. I did not pass first time and what helped me pass at last was the long drives I had done. It is a matter of experience and practice. And confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 wrote: »
    When I was learning it was well known NEVER to drive as a learner with family! NOT EVER. This thread shows why..

I was very lucky in having a friend who let me drive her and her little girl in my car for long journeys when I had the basics.

And yes, having my own small car helped massively. I knew I would pass sooner or later . As the OP will.

There must be some way to find a driver to accompany you. I did not pass first time and what helped me pass at last was the long drives I had done. It is a matter of experience and practice. And confidence.

Only just seen your post. well done !

Advertisement