Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Administrative Officers 2019 in Revenue - Audit and Compliance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mj90

Hi all,

Is there any update on this competition?

Like is there a threat that it might be completely pulled?

With a recession likely - they may put a hold or pull on these competitions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Anyone else get the email

Online video assessments

What the absolute ?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

Rikand wrote: »

Online video assessments

What the absolute ?

Haven't received anything. Sounds like a good idea save a trip to Dublin best of luck with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 filmfanatic

Anonire wrote: »
    Haven't received anything. Sounds like a good idea save a trip to Dublin best of luck with them.

I haven't got any email either. Sounds way more efficient. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BoyLaw937

Online video assessments

What the absolute ?

Yes got the email just there. Was coincidental because I only emailed them yesterday to follow up with what was happening.

Online assesment with 4 questions due by the 25th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭3002

Got the email also. Thought of video assessments has me feeling sick. 3 minutes per question seems tight to get your answer in but never done a video assessment so maybe thats a lot of time & no waffling on!! Any helpful tips how to prepare please?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mj90

Are we expected to give new examples or can we use the ones in our application?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Ollie321

Is that the final stage, or is the video assessment being used as actual interview?

mj90 wrote: »
    Are we expected to give new examples or can we use the ones in our application?

You can probably use the same examples if they tie in with the questions being asked.

Ollie it mentions progression to the next stage which would make me think that means that it's not the final round but no guarantees. It's not a live assessment.

I did similar video assessment prior to this. Good to see the 2 attempts it allows for technical issues and nerves.

The best of luck to everyone. It's great to see the comp moving along. Hopefully it means there are a few job offers waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

I notice it said on the email that it is strongly recommended that you attempt all questions in one sitting but that it is possible to split them up

Odd that they would strongly recommend one particular approach. It makes me think it will be taken into consideration when assessing applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BoyLaw937

I notice it said on the email that it is strongly recommended that you attempt all questions in one sitting but that it is possible to split them up

Odd that they would strongly recommend one particular approach. It makes me think it will be taken into consideration when assessing applications.

I would think its because it would look hilarious if you had outfit changes between each take if you split them up over different days.

:D

It could be to do with the system update. Maybe when that takes place they don't know what will happen assignments that are only partly complete.
    Just my guess.

Goodluck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 42 hearscheme

Does anyone know if there's a way of changing the locations that you've selected at this stage? Or is it too late?

Anyone else having trouble coming up with examples for some of the questions. I think I have 3 good solid work/college related responses for 3 of the questions but I'm strongly to think of an example where I had to analyse information and make an important decision between two equally desirable options. I'm relatively early into my career so I dont make important decisions, I merely pass them on.

I changed job not so long ago so I would have had to weigh the various pros and cons of that. I may just run with that example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

Anyone else having trouble coming up with examples for some of the questions. I think I have 3 good solid work/college related responses for 3 of the questions but I'm strongly to think of an example where I had to analyse information and make an important decision between two equally desirable options. I'm relatively early into my career so I dont make important decisions, I merely pass them on.

I changed job not so long ago so I would have had to weigh the various pros and cons of that. I may just run with that example.
    When you "pass on" do you not provide an alternative? If you do then why did you pick that option, did you not analyse all the options and pick the best option, thereby using your analytical skills to select

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Happy4

Just completed mine.. best of luck to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭monkeylover10

Happy4 wrote: »
    Just completed mine.. best of luck to all!

Hi and best of luck.
    Can I ask you please, before you began the actual assessment, were you able to check if your microphone and camera worked? It mentions you can complete the example question, so I was just wondering will I have the opportunity to test my microphone & camera then?
    Finally, did you read the answers from a page or did you just memorise your answer ad lib?
    Thanks.

Yes you get a sample question that you can answer (and see yourself while you do).. and then replay it back. Funny though.. can only replay audio, so not sure if visual was even recorded :rolleyes:

I kinda ad-lib'd.. didn't want to read straight from a sheet.. just glad it's done and over with now ;)

Happy4 wrote: »
    Yes you get a sample question that you can answer (and see yourself while you do).. and then replay it back. Funny though.. can only replay audio, so not sure if visual was even recorded :rolleyes:

I kinda ad-lib'd.. didn't want to read straight from a sheet.. just glad it's done and over with now ;)

Thank you for that information, thats good to know.
    I plan to do the assessment by Friday. I've my examples typed up and just have to tweak them a bit. I then plan to practice by reading them aloud and make sure I don't go over the 3 mins.
    I think I will probably have the answers in front of me or on the wall behind my screen so that I can glance at them if I get stuck!!!
    The questions were ok I guess, apart from question 2, making a decision between two or more equally desirable options. I had to improvise a little on that one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Where does it ask you for an example of "where I had to analyse information and make an important decision between two equally desirable options"

• Advertisement

Where does it ask you for an example of "where I had to analyse information and make an important decision between two equally desirable options"

I was paraphrasing above but the specific question is below

Q2. Give us an example of a situation when you were required to analyse information in order to make an important decision between two or more desirable options

I know you could argue you may not have had to make the decision yourself but that wasnt my initial interpretation of it. Although on reflection it seems more likely.

The_Dave wrote: »
    When you "pass on" do you not provide an alternative? If you do then why did you pick that option, did you not analyse all the options and pick the best option, thereby using your analytical skills to select

I'm a bit part player in a larger finance team. I'm the least senior accountant on the team and generally not involved in "important" decision making. Options are generally prepared and reviewed by senior accountants.

Of course I have autonomy to make to make changes to how the accounts are prepared where those changes are useful and lead to more accurate or timely reports, however, these are small potato decisions, and dont require much, if any, "analysis".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

I'm a bit part player in a larger finance team. I'm the least senior accountant on the team and generally not involved in "important" decision making. Options are generally prepared and reviewed by senior accountants.

Of course I have autonomy to make to make changes to how the accounts are prepared where those changes are useful and lead to more accurate or timely reports, however, these are small potato decisions, and dont require much, if any, "analysis".
    I'm not saying you have to make "changes", anytime you feed into a superior's deision you had to analyse the facts and information to give the decisionmaker your opnion. That is analysis. As an AO you likely may not make decisions but feed into them, so they want to know how you come to recommend one option over another

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fakeblondexxx

Hi, example for the 2 desireable options is a tough one, just that one to figure out and then its the strange world of video interview! I won't be doing it in one sitting. Too much. Any one that did it, what were the 4 mock questions and how long did it allow to answer each one? Does a voice ask you the question or just read it? Presume they are in the same order as we got on in our emails. I went into an online test before and accidentally started it without realising so don't want to go in until I'm good and ready. Very nervous about these things. Appreciate any feedback from anyone who bravely completed it.

Hi, example for the 2 desireable options is a tough one, just that one to figure out and then its the strange world of video interview! I won't be doing it in one sitting. Too much. Any one that did it, what were the 4 mock questions and how long did it allow to answer each one? Does a voice ask you the question or just read it? Presume they are in the same order as we got on in our emails. I went into an online test before and accidentally started it without realising so don't want to go in until I'm good and ready. Very nervous about these things. Appreciate any feedback from anyone who bravely completed it.

Theres only one mock question I just used it to test the sound and visual. think its the same 3 minutes but you can repeat it as much as you like. It doesnt get uploaded.
    There is 1 minute of prep before each of the 4 questions. The question displays on screen during the one minute. They are in the same order as indicated in the email.
    Very best of luck with it, i too was nervous as I managed to mess up a previous one but found it very straight forward this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fakeblondexxx

Thanks Anoire, feeling a little more relaxed after that. I was thinking of using aids behind the screen but wondering would they dock marks if they thought you were doing so. Seems strange to look into a computer screen with no-one there. Would your eyes naturally wander then?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cornel08biz

Hi Guys,

Just wandering if you can stop for 20 minutes after every question to have time to put your thoughts together for the next one.. Or it moves immediately to the next question

Thank you!

Hi Guys,

Just wandering if you can stop for 20 minutes after every question to have time to put your thoughts together for the next one.. Or it moves immediately to the next question

Thank you!

Haven't attempted them yet but the email says that they "strongly recommend" you attempt all questions in one sitting, which would suggest that you can split them up and answer them individually in your own time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 sarahmcm90

Hi all, when people have submitted their interview, did ye have paper attached behind the laptop etc or did ye memorise your answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 GalwayGirl2020

Hi All

Hoping someone can help me with two queries
    :( Freaking out here

Is it possible to have the word document with answers open on your screen whilst doing the tests?

Is there a countdown timer on screen to tell you when your 3 minutes is up?

Thank you all

• Advertisement

Hi All

Hoping someone can help me with two queries
    :( Freaking out here

Is it possible to have the word document with answers open on your screen whilst doing the tests?

Is there a countdown timer on screen to tell you when your 3 minutes is up?

Thank you all

Just finished mine now.

1) Yes
    1) Yes

I had a powerpoint presentation I used as prompts to guide my answers. I had it open on screen the whole time. You will need to minimise both windows though so that they are both on screen at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 2not4get

Completely messed up the first question and submitted it thinking I was redoing it..DOH..feel like an eegit!
    But submitted the rest so they could have a laugh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 filmfanatic

The same thing happened to me and I decided not to go forward in this competition. I think it is trying to tell me something!!!

Best of luck to all who go forward to the next stage.

2not email them and explain the may re set the first question.

The same thing happened to me and I decided not to go forward in this competition. I think it is trying to tell me something!!!

Best of luck to all who go forward to the next stage.

Sorry to hear that. They can be nerve wrecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 GalwayGirl2020

Thanks a million
    Just finished mine now.

1) Yes
    1) Yes

I had a powerpoint presentation I used as prompts to guide my answers. I had it open on screen the whole time. You will need to minimise both windows though so that they are both on screen at once.

Hate looking at myself when I'm talking.

Just glad thats over with. No idea if it was any good or not but its done at least

Sorry if it's been asked already, but what happens next does anyone know?

Don't think anyone really knows what the next stage might be. Normally for Revenue competitions, it's unsupervised tests or straight to shortlisting application forms, & Interview to follow. Seems in this competition, they started with testing, then went to shortlisting,back to supervised testing & changed to video assessment. Only thinking out loud but I would assume online Interview the final stage next. Hopefully if we get through this stage, it is the final stage next.
    Best of luck to all.

• Advertisement

I would say final interview might be next but who knows really.
    It'll be a while before we hear back anyway. Just relieved to have that stage over.

I sent an email earlier to the recruitment section & response was that the board will be reviewing the video assessments over the next few weeks & no comment on what next stage will be.

3002 wrote: »
    I sent an email earlier to the recruitment section & response was that the board will be reviewing the video assessments over the next few weeks & no comment on what next stage will be.

at least mid june so - maybe they might keep the panel open a bit longer considering everything thats going on

at least mid june so - maybe they might keep the panel open a bit longer considering everything thats going on

If not longer. The panel said it will be open for a year from its creation date which is good as it usually says a specific date on the information booklet.

I wonder might they give an oom from the video assessments and only call for interviews as and when the vacancies arise just a thought.

Ya, I'd be thinking mid-June we'll get results hopefully.
    Panel will only start after all stages finished in the competition & panel results are out so that will push out the panel start & end date.

Only saw your reply now Anonire, it may have been worth emailing them alright. Closed now so I may leave it be. I can only assume I'm out as I will have failed that question. Best of luck with the rest of the competition, hope it's a lucky one for you

• Advertisement

Oh ya it's too late now but would have definitely been worth asking if you wanted to continue, sure the worst they could say is no. I know someone had technical problems previously with one of these type of interviews and they were very accommodating in resetting the question.

You never know you may have covered the essentials fingers crossed. It's all great experience for the next campaigns. I find a recruitment campaign with revenue really puts me through my paces.

Will remember for next time to follow up. I definitely didn't cover the essentials, but it will have given them a laugh, they might give me pity marks. I actually answered the completely wrong question, I got frazzled. Got it together after than and managed to answer the other 3 questions.

You are right, it was a great experience and hopefully will stand to me in the future.

@2not4get... I feel your pain!!
    I was going on grand, answered first 2 questions & very happy with what I submitted. Came to Q.3 and when I had it recorded, was thinking I had made a few minor & I mean minor errors. Last minute I decided, what the heck, I'd retake Q.3. After that things went a bit haywire!!!
    For some reason I misread the info (dont ask how??) & thought I had to complete Q.4 next & retake Q.3 at end...maybe nerves & I was imagining seeing that info...
    Delighted with my Q.4 as I thought & then pressed next to retake Q.3.... THEN I realised what I had just done....
    I was on the countdown from 1 minute analysing whether I'd repeat Q.4 again or go with Q.3.. & try & give an explanation at end of the question as I knew from practicing I had about 15 sec spare.
    Went with the latter, dont know how I answered it but I did & then at the last few seconds, clarified that I made an error, the answer I just gave was in relation to Q.3 & my previous answer was in relation to Q.4. & added I was sorry for the confusion.
    I emailed asap, not to reset the question but to ask if it cud be made aware to the assessment board that I made a mistake & caused me to mix up the order when answering Q3 & Q4.
    My reply back was that the submission stays as is & because I offered an explanation re the error at end of video, it will be left to the board to decide.
    I put alot of preparation into those 4 question so I am fairly annoyed with myself to say the least.
    Dont know what way it will go really.....

@monkeylover10 hopefully you will be ok as you did answer 4 questions in full and sounds like you were prepared. Fingers crossed for you. It was all a bit daunting first time around on the video interview, we'll become pros!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Galantis

Hi guys,

Does anybody know when are we going to get the results? Seems like most people had technical issues while uploading the videos... I made a total mess of one of the examples..so I hope they won t be so hard on us...
    Good luck to everybody!

What technical issues did people have?

• Advertisement
Advertisement