Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Medical

Options
  • 30-06-2019 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So I’ve completed my Physical and my interview today - passed both and obviously I’m over the moon! However... almost two years ago, I was admitted to hospital with a bleeding ulcer, during this time I received a blood transfusion and was diagnosed as anemic. I’m not taking any medication for my “condition”, but at the same time, it doesn’t affect me day-to-day.

I can’t find anything to show me exactly how in depth the medical exam will be for the RDF and I don’t want to lose my position due to something that hasn’t been an issue for almost two years, which was a one off.

Can anyone tell me if I need to be worried about the medical? Can they find my previous treatments / medical history during the check?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BittysHill1998

Stuart95 wrote: »
    So I’ve completed my Physical and my interview today - passed both and obviously I’m over the moon! However... almost two years ago, I was admitted to hospital with a bleeding ulcer, during this time I received a blood transfusion and was diagnosed as anemic. I’m not taking any medication for my “condition”, but at the same time, it doesn’t affect me day-to-day.

I can’t find anything to show me exactly how in depth the medical exam will be for the RDF and I don’t want to lose my position due to something that hasn’t been an issue for almost two years, which was a one off.

Can anyone tell me if I need to be worried about the medical? Can they find my previous treatments / medical history during the check?

Thanks!

RDF medical is far less in depth so maybe the requirements might not be as strict as the PDF. Here there's no point worrying over something you can't change. If they deem you fit enough then they think you are fit enough and if they don't then they don't.

Good luck anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LMTB20

Hi Stuart,

I'm thinking of joining the RDF. How has your experience been so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Stuart95

LMTB20 wrote: »
    Hi Stuart,

I'm thinking of joining the RDF. How has your experience been so far?

Hey,
    first of all I apologize it's taken me so long to get back to you.
    I seen your reply come through, I just kept forgetting to actually get on and look - I don't use this, ever.

I'm going to be completely honest with you.
    Believe it or not, I'm no further into my career 'offically'.

Medicals for my platoon are still not completed, majority of those in my unit never received a date for the medicals, those who did, with the exception of 4/5 are still awaiting results.
    This was going on a long time before Covid hit, after which, all platoon trainings were cancelled.
    We've not been training since march, for obvious reasons.

My platoon hasn't done anything 'military' related in a long time - that being said, there's a small section of us within this platoon who have been playing airsoft together regularly & our platoon whatsapp chat is always on the go.
    Despite not having done anything officially with my platoon, we've all gotten to know one another and developed some close bonds.

Do I recommend it?
    Absolutely - but don't think it's all exciting.
    Up until March (when we had actually been training), my platoon would march around the barracks for 2-3 hours every week. In the cold, in the rain, it was winter when we started training, we missed summer, and we're supposedly returning soon - so more winter weather to march in.

If it's something you're genuinely interested in, don't sit on it.
    Get the application in as soon as you can. You'll meet some people you'll become great friends with and you'll carry the experiences, good or bad, with you for life.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help,
    due to the current pandemic, everything was put on hold so my experiences within the organization have been very limited.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kilian1995

Hey Stuart95, did your platoon begin training with guys having no medicals? were you sworn in, get your gear etc even tho some guys medicals were never processed? If you wouldn't mind sharing some more information about your application process it would be really helpful to the guys waiting to hear something that seems will never arrive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Stuart95

Kilian1995 wrote: »
    Hey Stuart95, did your platoon begin training with guys having no medicals? were you sworn in, get your gear etc even tho some guys medicals were never processed? If you wouldn't mind sharing some more information about your application process it would be really helpful to the guys waiting to hear something that seems will never arrive!!

Hi Killian,
    My platoon started training months ago in the form of non-tactical training. By that, I mean the likes of marching, phenetic alphabet (A is Alpha, B is Bravo etc.), but mostly marching.
    There were days where the Sgt arranged interesting events for us, like bringing in weapons, gear & other items we will be handling once our trainings had progressed or a tour around the barracks & military museum, so it's not all foot-drills and boring stuff constantly.

With that, some of my platoon are receiving their uniforms, small groups of those who were already sworn in & completed their medicals. The rest of us are still wearing civilian attire while marching around the barracks.

The application wasn't difficult at all - I done my fitness test, which once you're somewhat fit, you can complete it. I'm extremely lazy and done my fitness test 1 week after returning from a cruise - no training for months up before that test and passed it. It's not difficult.
    That being said, should you fail your fitness test, you have 1 month to train yourself and come and re-take the test. You can find the requirements on the DF website, or youtube.

I'm sure we'll get our uniforms & into the juicy side of trainings as soon as possible. Corona isn't helping, but we'll get there... I hope. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Kilian1995

Hi Stuart,

When did you submit your application? was it 2017 or 2018? That is really demoralising that your troop are not fully registered and sworn in yet. My class applied in October 2019 and are on to the medical stage but I believed it was stalled due to COVID, however hearing that your class has not been processed through your medicals is a real kick in the gut to be honest.

I know they are chronically understaffed and voluntary but it is really tough to be waiting to start training and be sworm in for over a year now, with minimal contact and looking likely it could well be another year!

Can I ask how long it took the first of your troop to get called for medicals? and do you know if there are many left?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LMTB20

Stuart95 wrote: »
    Hey,
    first of all I apologize it's taken me so long to get back to you.
    I seen your reply come through, I just kept forgetting to actually get on and look - I don't use this, ever.

I'm going to be completely honest with you.
    Believe it or not, I'm no further into my career 'offically'.

Medicals for my platoon are still not completed, majority of those in my unit never received a date for the medicals, those who did, with the exception of 4/5 are still awaiting results.
    This was going on a long time before Covid hit, after which, all platoon trainings were cancelled.
    We've not been training since march, for obvious reasons.

My platoon hasn't done anything 'military' related in a long time - that being said, there's a small section of us within this platoon who have been playing airsoft together regularly & our platoon whatsapp chat is always on the go.
    Despite not having done anything officially with my platoon, we've all gotten to know one another and developed some close bonds.

Do I recommend it?
    Absolutely - but don't think it's all exciting.
    Up until March (when we had actually been training), my platoon would march around the barracks for 2-3 hours every week. In the cold, in the rain, it was winter when we started training, we missed summer, and we're supposedly returning soon - so more winter weather to march in.

If it's something you're genuinely interested in, don't sit on it.
    Get the application in as soon as you can. You'll meet some people you'll become great friends with and you'll carry the experiences, good or bad, with you for life.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help,
    due to the current pandemic, everything was put on hold so my experiences within the organization have been very limited.

Best of luck!

Thanks Stuart for the reply, sorry for my late response. Hopefully you'll get back to proper training soon.

Advertisement