Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a used Bike from Northern Ireland

Options
  • 06-12-2018 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all,
    So I was in the hunt for a 2013 or newer Triumph Street Triple in the used market since a couple of months, called a couple of dealers in town, spammed the refresh button on Donedeal.ie without any luck. But there are loads of great value bikes with a few of the dealers from Northern Ireland on UK plates obviously.
    My Question is, Has anyone imported a used Bike from Northern Ireland or from the UK and what are the mandatory things one needs to perform once the vehicle is imported.?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

After insuring it and vanning/trailering or riding it down...

Book appointment with NCTS within 7 days of importation for a date within 30 days of importation.

Take along to NCTS VRT inspection with required paperwork (ready and filled in) and ID and pay VRT and register.

Get number plate made and fitted.

Get Motor Tax

VRT cost for a 2013 or newer Triumph Street Triple: Anywhere between €307 for a 2013 all the way up to €1003 for a 2018. Number plate c. €10. Motor Tax €88.

Have I missed anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭wallpapers123

macplaxton wrote: »
    After insuring it and vanning/trailering or riding it down...

Book appointment with NCTS within 7 days of importation for a date within 30 days of importation.

Is it mandatory to get an NCT done for a motorcycle, even if it is bought from within Ireland itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Is it mandatory to get an NCT done for a motorcycle, even if it is bought from within Ireland itself?

There is no NCT for the bike itself, just that the VRT appointment is done at the NCT centre.

Basic question:
    How can I ride the bike to the VRT center here in Ireland without it having Irish registration plates and Insurance/Motor Tax?

Do I need to get it towed in a van or something like that?

Chiorino wrote: »
    There is no NCT for the bike itself, just that the VRT appointment is done at the NCT centre.

Yes I thought so, because on many websites it just says 'car' and not 'vehicle'.

• Advertisement

Basic question:
    How can I ride the bike to the VRT center here in Ireland without it having Irish registration plates and Insurance/Motor Tax?

Do I need to get it towed in a van or something like that?

Van or trailer ideally. You can still insure it on the NI plates then do a changeover once you register and get your ROI reg. With the motor tax, many will chance it for the week or two (I have in the past) and unless you are acting the maggot or get a guard in a bad mood you will be fine.

Van or trailer ideally. You can still insure it on the NI plates then do a changeover once you register and get your ROI reg. With the motor tax, many will chance it for the week or two (I have in the past) and unless you are acting the maggot or get a guard in a bad mood you will be fine.

So do I need to hire a van when bringing the vehicle from Northern Ireland as well?

And I suppose the insurance amount will be higher for a UK registered vehicle than an Irish registered one?

So do I need to hire a van when bringing the vehicle from Northern Ireland as well?

And I suppose the insurance amount will be higher for a UK registered vehicle than an Irish registered one?

If you are going down the road of trailer van then yes. Personally I wouldn't but each to their own.

The insurance cost shouldn't be any different. Usually it's for a limited period (i.e. 30 days) and on the basis that you are having it registered to ROI plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

If you can't get insurance on the NI plate, then yes, van or trailer would the best legal way to do it. Or a lot of dealers offer a delivery service, it would take all that hassle away from you.

If you have existing insurance, temp change to an NI plate should not be much higher.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

As of now I don't have any existing insurance... Would any company provide insurance for an NI registered vehicle?

• Advertisement

As of now I don't have any existing insurance... Would any company provide insurance for an NI registered vehicle?

Yes, they would, at least on a temporary basis.

Yes, they would, at least on a temporary basis.

Thanks! That's good to hear..

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Shouldn't be any issue getting insurance on uk plates, my insurance just said to let them know as soon as I am issued an Irish reg and they'll swap it over.

For the VRT make sure you have a dated receipt for the bike and for uk bikes you'll need a ferry receipt but for the north you should be able to say you rode it down.

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Shouldn't be any issue getting insurance on uk plates, my insurance just said to let them know as soon as I am issued an Irish reg and they'll swap it over.

For the VRT make sure you have a dated receipt for the bike and for uk bikes you'll need a ferry receipt but for the north you should be able to say you rode it down.

So if I'm able to get the bike temporary insured on UK registration number, I can ride it to home and get the rest of the registration work sorted.?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

So if I'm able to get the bike temporary insured on UK registration number, I can ride it to home and get the rest of the registration work sorted.?

Yep you insure the bike as normal and just give the UK reg and tell them you'll send on the new details after the VRT and they'll have no problem. As long as you have a full license you'll be fine to ride it home, provisional doesn't cover you outside the country

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Yep you insure the bike as normal and just give the UK reg and tell them you'll send on the new details after the VRT and they'll have no problem. As long as you have a full license you'll be fine to ride it home, provisional doesn't cover you outside the country

If OP only has a Learner's Permit, they could have the dealer transport the bike over the border then ride it home.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    If OP only has a Learner's Permit, they could have the dealer transport the bike over the border then ride it home.

I just have the learner's permit as of now.. may have to wait till the full license arrives or do as you suggested...

Advertisement