Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst international accent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I don't know what sound sythe is meant to represent; to me, I'm hearing it as scythe. The rest of what you've done is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I don't know what sound sythe is meant to represent; to me, I'm hearing it as scythe. The rest of what you've done is fine.

It's meant to represent how the 'ou' sound gets mangled to the point where it rhymes with the word 'eye'.

Of all accents on the planet, the Wexford one is the most intolerable. Sounds like they're talking with a mouthful of strawberries.

Hideous.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

European - Dutch
    Outside of Europe - Jamaican or Afrikaner.
    Irish - Cork
    England - Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

victor8600 wrote: »
    Generally, I find all accents interesting, and some utterly hilarious. I speak with a Russian accent myself though and a really bad Russian accent annoys me as it reminds me of my own pronunciation errors. One the other hand, several women told me that they find my accent sexy.

In general, I find that even a "bad" accent can sound very nice if the person's voice is pleasant.

Love the Russian accent

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    De bist is de Sith Ifrikan iksent.

This doubles up as the kiwi accent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Ex footballer Christian Vieri... cross of Italian and Australian; made me wince when I heard him talk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You mean like this lad ...

Also some French accents aren't great either...

And sometimes all accents sound the same :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

If that's meant to be a phonetic representation of the South Dublin accent you're doing a terrible job.
    Not the natural mild Dublin accent found among those from South Dublin. That's actually a really nice accent.

I'm talking about that abomination combining California and posh English accent, only around since the 90s. And now vocal fry gets added. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Throw another shrimp on the barbie! Worst accent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Throw another shrimp on the barbie! Worst accent

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Not the natural mild Dublin accent found among those from South Dublin. That's actually a really nice accent.

I'm talking about that abomination combining California and posh English accent, only around since the 90s. And now vocal fry gets added. :mad:

I know the accent you are trying to evoke.

I just think that's a terrible phonetic representation of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Some Australian accents can really grate. It's put me off ever wanting to go there.

The sound of a gaggle of Spanish teenagers together, all talking at once, rapidly and at incredible volume is not pleasant to my ears.

Worked with a guy from somewhere in Offaly once and I honestly couldn't follow two thirds of what he said. Just narcoleptic mumbles, with the sentence usually running out of auditory gas before the end. Sometimes you'd have to ask him to repeat himself and he'd just shout the same unintelligible noises at you but at a higher volume, I still wouldn't have a clue. I've worked with people from all over the country and further afield and he was, by far, the toughest to understand.

I quite like some of the others that people claim to hate. The strong Dub accent, the Belfast accent, Glasgow. Love the Birmingham accent, it gets a bad rap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The Liverpool accent is an offense to the ears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Omackeral wrote: »
    De bist is de Sith Ifrikan iksent.

This doubles up as the kiwi accent

Would you like some iggs with your bir?

I think all accents are fine it's only individuals voices that are annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Surprised nobody mentioned Spanish. When they talk English It’s like they speak their own language using English words. It is awful, impossible to understand and boy, do they get frustrated when you ask: Excuse me, could you repeat that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I know you said excluding european accents but there are no accents worse than the French. It sounds ok when it’s a women but it’s downright wrong when it’s men. It sounds so soft and overly feminine and not in a good way.

I don’t know how any man in France can stand his authority on anything with such a gay accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I know the accent you are trying to evoke.

I just think that's a terrible phonetic representation of it.
    Think what you like. My south Dublin dwelling nieces will be getting elocution lessons to eliminate it if they start :mad: (so far so good).

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

jester77 wrote: »
    The Liverpool accent is an offense to the ears

Disagree. I’ve never really hated any of the Beatles for how they speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

This comes up every so often, to me voices grate but not accents, though of course there’s a link. There’s a nice version of every accent. Loud and grating isn’t nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Hate the South African accent when men are speaking but its not too bad by women.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I fcuking hate the Kerry accent. And yeah...it's international enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I really dislike the South African accent. It may be to do with their history because I know people younger than me who have no problem with it.

The Australian?.... Accent?.... Really REALLY annoys me? And it gets worse as I get older?

I don't have much of a problem with the Spanish accent. It's the f*cking VOLUME I have a problem with. I remember last month waiting for the train from Maynooth as I do every morning. There was a group of Spanish students (I know it's a clichè but it was true). They were waiting for the train. Only about 4 or 5 of them. But you just saw a 15-foot exclusion radius around them. Nobody wanted to be on the same carriage as them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

Nigeria, Pakistan, India, Romania

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

In Ireland - the Louth accent!

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Think what you like.

:cool:
    My south Dublin dwelling nieces will be getting elocution lessons to eliminate it if they start :mad: (so far so good).

Poor things. Either way, they're screwed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Hate the South African accent when men are speaking but its not too bad by women.

South African rapping is a whole different level

• Advertisement

There are some Scots and NI accents that really grate, most are fine though. The SA and Australian accents sound somewhat alike to my ears, the SA one being at the top end of the ugly sounding scale and the Aussie one just below. The flat Dublin accent that denies the existence of 'h' or '-ing' is really annoying, as is the thick Geordie accent of Cheryl Cole, though again most are fine.

Advertisement