Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst international accent?

Options
  • 04-09-2019 10:07am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Consider anything outside the Irish, English, and European accents (French, Spanish, Italian, German) international.

For me it has to be the Indian and Russian accent. Something about their drawl is just spine chilling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

De bist is de Sith Ifrikan iksent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Nasally, whiny American accent. Makes me want to punch them in the face, every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Omackeral wrote: »
    De bist is de Sith Ifrikan iksent.

"Diplomittik Immyunitty"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

You havent lived until had a russian woman screaming at you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Northie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,416 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Australian for me. Hear them say "I parked the car in the car park and then went to a bar". Would go through you.

Also, south England/London "geezer" accent. Sounds awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Nasally, whiny American accent. Makes me want to punch them in the face, every time.

I have an American accent and have been told it sounds gay (I'm a male in my 20s). Why the disdain for American accents???

murpho999 wrote: »
    Australian for me. Hear them say "I parked the car in the car park and then went to a bar". Would go through you.

Like the one London rappers have, ugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

No genuine accent bothers me. I find accents really interesting.

At a push, the really harsh London accent I suppose - where every sentence is punctuated by "yeah?"

But the most annoying by far for me is not international - it's the sythe Dublin one.
    Why the disdain for American accents???
    They're just being silly. As if they don't watch plenty of American tv and film and don't even notice. And "American accent" - there are hundreds of them.

• Advertisement

Australian for me. Hear them say "I parked the car in the car park and then went to a bar".

That sentence in Boston would be better. Or Drogheda for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Cork Boy!

Raconteuse wrote: »
    They're just being silly. As if they don't watch plenty of American tv and film and don't even notice. And "American accent" - there are hundreds of them.

I think they mean the general american/midwestern accent that a lot of American s have. It is nasally but it can also be pleasant as well.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Cork Boy!

International?

International?

In fairness, the OP is all over the gaff. Has discounted European accents but then in the next breath lists Russian as an option. Should've just said non-Irish and non-UK.... or non British Isles to rile the lads up in true AH fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

International?

Says the poster who mentioned the South of England/London!

Perhaps you should read the OP again as well.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Says the poster who mentioned the South of England/London!

Perhaps you should read the OP again as well.

Fair enough, but for me UK accents are international as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The accent of the town of Shakhimardan in Uzbekistan, an exclave surrounded entirely by Kyrgyzstan. The way they say "Sut chirigan, uni ichmang!" would curdle milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

If I look at it from dating a woman wise, accents I cannot tolerate would be...

Lancashire accents...think coronation Street

Most American accents in real life annoy the **** out of me. In movies, they're fine.

Indian... I would end up laughing at half of the things they say.

French...sounds so ugly to me.

Nigerian accent... Both male and females usually sound like they're being aggressive and argueing even if they're not.

That's all I can think of right now. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I have an American accent and have been told it sounds gay (I'm a male in my 20s). Why the disdain for American accents???

Are u from america? Or just grew up watching the Disney channell

• Advertisement

Are u from america? Or just grew up watching the Disney channell

I used to live there for 2 years but I've been here 11 years. Lived in Tanzania for 8 years since birth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I used to live there for 2 years but I've been here 11 years. Lived in Tanzania for 8 years since birth.

Mate of mine went to Liverpool for a weekend and picked up the accent

Oh and the worst has to be Nigerian

I'LL KILL YOU. I'LL KILL YOU ALL

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on the gender of the speaker to be honest.

I find men speaking in the stereotypical Indian/Pakistan accent quite irritating, but women not so much. They speak much more softly and clearly.

Australian accent on women though, a million times more annoying than Aussie men. Just barely worse than Californian women.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    If I look at it from dating a woman wise, accents I cannot tolerate would be...

Lancashire accents...think coronation Street

Most American accents in real life annoy the **** out of me. In movies, they're fine.

Indian... I would end up laughing at half of the things they say.

French...sounds so ugly to me.

Nigerian accent... Both male and females usually sound like they're being aggressive and argueing even if they're not.

That's all I can think of right now. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

I've thought that too :D

Also, for some reason women speaking (I think) Polish to men always sound petulant to me, like a 5 year old in a shop who's been told they're not getting any sweets and is trying to pester their parent into buying them something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The London accent. Think Adele and then she opens her mouth to talk....(shudders).

I have to admit I am not gone on the German accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Yeah I have clients from west Africa and bloody hell....

Even hearing them tell you they are in good form sounds like you are about to get your head kicked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

The Midlands for me..terrible. They all sound like they live on a halting site and are finding out as much about you so they ca nrob you...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Dutch, hands down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Canadian. It's just bland and plain annoying. The woman on Today FM goes through me no end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

A crying shame is the fact that Italian women are very beautiful, but then their accent is awful (when speaking either English or Italian).

A strong Dutch accent is very off-putting as well, as mentioned by a previous poster.

Advertisement