Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well Done Guys.

Options
  • 03-07-2019 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭

Fair play to them and BUALADH BÓS,. I couldn't agree more with these big names pulling their sponsorship. And for those up high in authority trying to cover-up the cruelty that goes on in the greyhound business. Well shame on you.

https://www.thejournal.ie/barrys-tea-greyhound-4707537-Jul2019/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

It should be possible to operate a greyhound racing industry without resorting to the level of cruelty and abuse of dogs that the R.T.E. programme exposed.
    It will be interesting to see how far this type of response by sponsors spreads to other sporting activities

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's been public knowledge forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

kneemos wrote: »

Not really. It might have been known in certain circles but not public necessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I'd agree in that we all knew the dogs weren't treated great and that there was an issue there.
    Like I knew a lot of the owners wouldn't really love their Dog like a family pet.
    I understood that they treated that animal like cattle.

I think none of us knew just how appallingly bad said issue was.
    The cruelty in the documentary was just shocking.

FBD have pulled their sponsorship too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Not really. It might have been known in certain circles but not public necessarily.

Well I remember as a kid in the 80s hearing stories about greyhounds been taken out to the fields and shot when they were no 'good' anymore!? And I wasn't in any circles,just a kid wandering through the fields and finding the odd body/carcass of a dog here and there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Not to me it hasn't. I'm glad the end is nigh for Greyhound racing, hopefully horse racing will be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

That’s great news. Fair play to them. I don’t drink their tea but its good to see companies acting in this way as unfortunately money is generally the only way that you can make a difference to these things.

Hopefully the tax payer funding of this industry will cease as I will be writing to all my TDs to nag them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Right thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Not to me it hasn't. I'm glad the end is nigh for Greyhound racing, hopefully horse racing will be next.

Once we sort those 2 and hunting/coursing all we have to worry about is the puppy farms, farming practices and general level of animal cruelty among some sections. Easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If the industry shut down tomorrow we would have a flood of unwanted dogs. The state has a terrible history of not giving a flying fcuk about animal welfare so I wouldn't expect them to be much help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Does the Greyhound industry get state funding like the horse racing crowd do??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They were concerned affiliation with the scandal may affect sales, nothing more to it than that

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Rife with doping too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I’d be surprised if horse racing is ever banned. I assume standards are much higher, although national hunt probably has its detractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod NoteThread on the matter on current affairs!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement