Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peta has bought enough Facebook shares to now control content!

• 03-07-2019 2:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

So PETA has become a shareholder in Facebook and already has a list of acceptable and unacceptable content in place that are being rolled out across the platform.

They currently are in action mode to outright ban Greyhound racing, Horse racing and angling completely.

Being an avid angler, I have big problems with this.

A private company, facebook can do what it likes but the influence an organization can have on the worlds biggest platform should be addressed.

Here is one list of stuff they are banning

65963315_326232004992177_5774130182789005312_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_oc=AQmBmPaCuAInsERobcgg4wGJ8Lh0O2khW8R3ZzANTYSd-aRz-DEs3b7Udin-8LOSgYs&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=7dc73e792f0572eb194dd2a5499b8283&oe=5DC6B34D

Should we be ok with our content being monitored and influenced?

https://www.peta.org/media/news-releases/facebook-has-a-new-shareholder-peta/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Do have a link about the Peta share buy?

Interstingly this is Peta - they like abducting and killing peoples pets in the US as they believe pet ownership is akin to abuse....

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/killing-animals-petas-open-secret_b_59e78243e4b0e60c4aa36711

Efit: From the link ...
    PETA’s motto reads, “Animals are not ours to experiment on, eat, wear, use for entertainment, or abuse in any other way.” The group opposes speciesism, which is a human-supremacist worldview.

But it seems ok if they chose to abduct and kill them. Strange bunch tbh.

If I had a FB page I'd delete it with that lot buying in tbh ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

gozunda wrote: »
    Do have a link about the Peta share buy?

Edited with link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Doubt very much they bought enough to dictate policy.
    All I see is Facebook censoring their cruelty videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

kneemos wrote: »
    Doubt very much they bought enough to dictate policy.
    All I see is Facebook censoring their cruelty videos.

Looks like they may have bought in to oppose that policy tbh ..
    The move comes after the social media platform upped its use of warning screens on PETA videos showing real-life incidents of routine cruelty to animals, significantly limiting the group’s ability to expose animal suffering to a wide audience.

“People deserve to see what animals endure & etc ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ardinn wrote: »
    So PETA has become a shareholder in Facebook and already has a list of acceptable and unacceptable content in place that are being rolled out across the platform.

They currently are in action mode to outright ban Greyhound racing, Horse racing and angling completely.

A private company, facebook can do what it likes but the influence an organization can have on the worlds biggest platform should be addressed.

Here is one list of stuff they are banning

https://www.peta.org/media/news-releases/facebook-has-a-new-shareholder-peta/

Did you even read the article you linked to?
    Today, PETA purchased shares in Facebook, enabling the group to submit a shareholder resolution, attend the company’s annual meetings, and ask questions of executives there.

They are in no position to control content or ban anything. Your thread is just clickbait nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Who's Peter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

who gives a rats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,634 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If they could just change the bloody rule about banning female nipples, I could live with them.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

There's already a thread pretending PETA have taken over Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

do peta members use any medications? because about 99% of pharmaceuticals are tested on animals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Facebook has a market cap of US$556bn.

Are you saying that PETA have bought over half of this in order to control Facebook, who are not a private company by the way.

Facebook are not promoting illegal animal trade and I don't see the problem with it. Nothing to do with PETA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Peta members must have been doing an awful lot of sponsored walks and cake sales in the last number of years.

The link says they have bought enough shares to propose motions at the annual general meeting.
    That's a bit different to them controlling content.

The link says they have bought enough shares to propose motions at the annual general meeting.

Finally somebody else who actually read the article linked to before posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

But any shareholder can do that.

It doesn't mean it will be passed.

murpho999 wrote: »
    But any shareholder can do that.

It doesn't mean it will be passed.

thats is the point. the thread is clickbait ****e.

How much of their donators hard earned cash did they spend on this folly?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

They must be selling mink coats on the side to get that type of money together

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    They must be selling mink coats on the side to get that type of money together

Why are people thinking they have bought lots of shares. I could shares in FB using just the notes in my pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,578 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Calm down and fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I've a suggestion, leave Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

They can be very extreme at times

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

airmax87 wrote: »
    who gives a rats

I hope that no rats were harmed in the making of this post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Ban greyhound racing, then no need for greyhounds, and all greyhounds will be killed. The breed will be extinct.
    Ban horse racing, then no need for racehorses, people will not pay 10k+ yearly to keep each horse, all racehorses will be killed. Thoroughbreds will be extinct.

PETA's solutions are not in the interests of the animals.

But on the PETA website
    "Enter PETA's UK and Ireland's hottest Vegan over 50 Competition 2019".
    Good to see PETA are doing something constructive. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Ban greyhound racing, then no need for greyhounds, and all greyhounds will be killed. The breed will be extinct.
    Ban horse racing, then no need for racehorses, people will not pay 10k+ yearly to keep each horse, all racehorses will be killed. Thoroughbreds will be extinct.

PETA's solutions are not in the interests of the animals.

But on the PETA website
    Pretty stupid argument, and people will still keep them as pets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Thought that wasn't allowed either? :confused:

(in PETA world)

Racehorses are pretty valuable creatures,well looked after I thought.
    The odd one breaks a leg on the hurdles,but the life of Riley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭randd1

I just can't take PETA seriously.

Purely on the assumption that they're complete whackadoodles, based on the mad (but perfectly believable) theory that most of the members are about one more mental breakdown away from petitioning the Government to legalise bestiality so they can marry their respective animal lover.

I'm convinced that PETA is like a fraternity, but instead of hazing, you have to have sex with an animal to gain entry.

I like pizza, but being sane I'm neither going to jizz on one and then marry it. Could you honestly say the same about a PETA member with an animal? I couldn't.

And that's why no-one should take them seriously.

That and they're mostly wannabe's looking for attention while rebelling against mammy and daddy before mammy and daddy cut off the money and they're forced to get a job in the real world because the animals they care so much for unfortunately don't have money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Perhaps you would enlighten us on why my post is "stupid".
    Actually I was a little surprised that a moderator would call a poster stupid.

If there is a large demand for greyhounds as pets thousands would not be culled every year. They would be sold as pets.

Occasionally when walking my dogs I see a greyhound.
    I have never stopped to speak to them as often their dog is aggressive and muzzled.

You could speak to people walking greyhounds and ask them
    (1) is the dog in training
    (2) if not in training, was the dog in training.
    I will be very surprised if the person walking the greyhound says the animal was not bred for racing, but was bred to be a pet.
    People might keep them as pets, but they are probably rescue dogs.

Did you even read the article you linked to?

They are in no position to control content or ban anything. Your thread is just clickbait nonsense.

I did

And

They are, 2 people in groups im in have been banned for displaying fly tying materials (furs) I didnt post the list of things allowed/disallowed for the craic - Those measure are now in effect since Monday.

Why dont you have another read through the article again and do some research on the matter before exclaiming so dramatically that I didnt!

I did

And

They are, 2 people in groups im in have been banned for displaying fly tying materials (furs) I didnt post the list of things allowed/disallowed for the craic - Those measure are now in effect since Monday.

Why dont you have another read through the article again and do some research on the matter before exclaiming so dramatically that I didnt!

this is the title you chose for the thread.

It is completly untrue and clickbait nonsense.

this is the title you chose for the thread.

It is completly untrue and clickbait nonsense.

They are controlling content. Dont see how its not true or clickbaity! But we can agree to disagree, and now that you believe its bait - feel free to not be sucked in again!!

They are controlling content. Dont see how its true or clickbaity! But we can agree to disagree, and now that you believe its bait - feel free to not be sucked in again!!

it is complete clickbait nonsense. buying a few shares gives PETA no say over what FB do.

it is complete clickbait nonsense. buying a few shares gives PETA no say over what FB do.

I have pointed out and posted the new content guidelines, im not sure why your not getting it?

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW????

• Advertisement

I have pointed out and posted the new content guidelines, im not sure why your not getting it?

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW????

you are connecting two separate events. You think that PETA bought a few shares and immediately FB changes its posting guidelines?

you are connecting two separate events. You think that PETA bought a few shares and immediately FB changes its posting guidelines?

No your right - its simply a massive coincidence that facebook came up with the exact same content guidelines as peta had listed, in the exact order, at a magical time peta just so happened to buy shares in the company!

I do apologize - Silly me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

But on the PETA website
    The prize is a one-night stay for two people in Hilton London Bankside’s vegan suite.

Is this also a thing in some hotels now? Is a vegan suite one that has no animal products used in it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The link? Come on, most people barely read titles these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Are PETA just a gang of furries with political ambitions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

From that list it's effectively stopping the selling of animals?
    I'm ok with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Balanadan wrote: »
    Who's Peter?

Peter File

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I did

And

You really don't understand how share ownership in a public company works. If I want to buy shares in Facebook this very minute, I can pick up the phone to Davys and have shares purchased on my behalf before 4pm. I won't be able to suddenly dictate policy to Facebook though

Here's a listing of the major institutional shareholders in facebook (link)

The major private shareholders (mainly founders & employees) are listed here http://whoownsfacebook.com/

For PETA to have bought just 1% of the shares in facebook, they'd need to have spent around $5billion - not million, billion.
    And a 1% shareholding would still give zero influence at board level.

You're adding two and two together and getting minus 375 here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Boggles wrote: »
    Calm down and fish!

If you can't show what you caught online in a boastful photo, what's even the bloody point?

Advertisement