Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What age were you when you first got served alcohol in a pub/shop/etc?

• 30-06-2019 11:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭

The first time I got served in a pub I was around sixteen.I never bothered trying shops locally because I knew most people would know my age and would ask for ID!

What age were you when you first got served alcohol in a pub/shop/etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

The first time I got severed in a pub I was around sixteen.I never bothered trying shops locally because I knew most people would know my age and would ask for ID!

What age were you when you first got severed alcohol in a pub/shop/etc?

13. We used to hit up the local Chinese takeaway for bottles of wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Thankfully I have never been severed anywhere, sounds painful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Cut my hand open when I was about 17 in the local nightclub doing handstands. Few bumps and bruises along the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

16, at a restaurant in Carnac, France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

14 , served in my boy scouts uniform at a jamboree in Portuma.
    Seems strange now thinking about having a pint of Smithwicks in a scouts uniform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

15 when I first got served in a pub, before that we would drink in the street, a local taxi service would pick up drink for us and meet us at the bottom of the estate. Crazy, I dont think that would happen today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

15, Lord Mayor's in Swords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

22 and I was buying it for my Dad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

13 at a village festival, the place was packed. I remember your one behind the bar asking what age I was, I said I was 19 and she laughed. She probably thought I was around 16 all right, but there's no way she thought I was over 18. Mad when I think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

16 in a pub and 17 in an offie. A fake ID my sister's mate did up for me did the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭pgj2015

14 in a pub, we had bad fake IDs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

21, like I promised Our Lord and Saviour at my confirmation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

16 - beer in the local miner's club where we lived in South Africa. Maybe one, occasionally two small bottles. Stepbrother & I would go there after school to play Snooker, so you could say that I had an incentive to drink very sensibly. :p

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

14. Cusacks in North Strand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

15 and only because a couple of lads from school were working there - skinny little sh!te I was, not a chance of getting served in a proper pub.

Were there pubs around your way that were known for being a little lax with the auld rule i.e. law?
    I can remember I had my 17th birthday in a pub in bluebell, ne'er a sniff of an ID being requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Think I was 14 - I always looked a lot older than my actual age

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

15 - Sally Longs in Galway, 4 pints of Heineken with dash lime, was mitching school too and had to cycle home after - blocked.
    Love the 80s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I was a relatively late starter when it came to alcohol, but I was 16 when I was first served in a pub, off-licence, and nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

15, McGraths. O'Connell street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

16 in a pub.

On the other side of things, I got ID'd in early June for it - 3 weeks before my 35th birthday - in Tesco in Stockport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭blackwhite

15 - in the Leitrim Bar in Sligo.

Was also able to get served - including whilst wearing school uniform :D - in the off licence just down the road from our school (the sadly departed MCR) from 14 onwards. They were happy to take the money from anyone, so long as they weren't caught.

"You're repeating your leaving aren't you?"
    "Stick in them in your school bag before you walk out the door"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

16 I think. Didn't start that early. Went to one specific pub I knew didn't really care initially but most places would serve me at 17 due to being abnormally tall

The saying about getting served in a school uniform in a pub is usually untrue but it happened twice for me. Once during the Young Scientist at the Horseshow House who really must have known better; and once in a sleaze pit on the north Quays called Company which is long gone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

14 , served in my boy scouts uniform at a jamboree in Portuma.
    Seems strange now thinking about having a pint of Smithwicks in a scouts uniform. Maybe the Denmaster bought it for me actually. I don't remember. I don't remember anything after drinking the pint come to think of it, only that I woke up on his couch with glue or something on my belly. It must've been old glue though because it wasn't adhesive anymore. Weird. But yeah about 14.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

15. We used to go on the hop from school, cycle down to the Goblet, have a pint there, then buy 4 cans each (in full uniform) and head for howth to go on the knacker.

Home and all for 4.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The Mezz in Temple Bar used to be called Danger Doyles (although i cant find any reference to this online, is this a false memory) and we used to get served in there when we were 14/15 when attending the Blast afternoon teen gigs run by one Robert Stephenson in the temple bar music centre (now the button factory) round the corner

16 in a pub, the night Jason McAteer scored against Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

16. Pub. 4 pints of Fosters. Couldn't stand afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Peatys wrote: »
    15. We used to go on the hop from school, cycle down to the Goblet, have a pint there, then buy 4 cans each (in full uniform) and head for howth to go on the knacker.

Home and all for 4.30.
    Peatys wrote: »

Home and all for 4.30.

Jesus, if I drank that when I was 15, I'd have had to get my stomach pumped.
    At that age, I'd be sharing 2ltrs of cider with a friend and we'd both langers after it. We would get older friends to buy it for us, as we couldn't get served in the off-license ourselves.

Saying that, at that age I'd already tried quite a few different drugs (hash/speed/acid), simply because we COULD get our hands on them easily. I knew 4-5 different dealers living within my area, and non of them had problems selling to us.

It's seems mad now when I look back on it, 15 year olds are just children!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 16 lipso tokko

When I was seventeen I drank some very good beer,
    I drank some very good beer I purchased with a fake ID.
    My name was Brian McGee, I stayed up listenin' to Queen When I was seventeen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

15. The Plough. Abbey St. Many’s a northsider had same experience in mid 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

15 from an off-licence. Also 15 in pubs.

Looking back at pictures from that time, I didn't even look remotely 18. I guess they just didn't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

15 in a bar. Jaysus we could make ourselves look ancient with make-up and the right clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I was a relatively late starter when it came to alcohol, but I was 16 when I was first served in a pub, off-licence, and nightclub.
    Relatively late starter because you started drinking at 16?!

Advertisement