Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Americans? Opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's a pretty big place with lots of different folk from different background with different ways of life.
    Hard to make a broad statement about them with one brush-stroke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

The ones I worked with over there were sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Angel1971

You all have been great. I live hearing how other people see my country. Several of you were right on point. And several are right. It's such a large area it can be quite different depending on where you go. We are far from perfect and have history which I'm not proud. I love my country but want to spend the later part of my life expanding my understanding of other people and cultures. After all, we are ALL just people trying to do the best we can for ourselves and our families.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭chrissb8

10 minute introductions on how to videos on youtube, talking about nothing and overexplaining it.......JUST GET TO THE PART THAT MATTERS.

chrissb8 wrote: »
    10 minute introductions on how to videos on youtube, talking about nothing and overexplaining it.......JUST GET TO THE PART THAT MATTERS.
    I 100% agree about the YouTube how to's!!!
    Drives me crazy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

My favourite flavours of American:

Long Island Jewish types
    Midwestern corn-fed types
    West-Coast Asians (helllooooo ladies)
    Minnesotans in general (they don't call it the 'Minnesota nice' for nothing)
    Southern black guys are tremendous craic once you get to know them
    American servicemen I also find to be thoroughly decent, always interesting / sad stories about their tours in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Least favourite types:

Long Island greaser Italians (not all Italian Americans just guys from LI are the pits)
    Floridians in general
    Tech brahs from the bay
    Valley girls
    Insufferable WASPs who went to Ivy League colleges who only got in because their daddy/grandfather is a major donor.

jmayo wrote: »
    Yester wrote: »
    They are really good at building barns.
    That’s the Hamish your thinking of, nice people, weird dress sense though.

That the travellers FFS.

The Amish are the anti social gang always causing trouble.
    You drive ridiculously big cars, especially pick up trucks, for no apparent reason except to pollute the air and burn as much fuel as possible. Last time I was there nearly every vehicle was a 8 litre enging GMC truck with one dude driving it.

Oh yeah baby.
    Also add gun rack.
    BTW where the feck were you, Montana?

Being serious OP you will find the odd one in Ireland, even some here have done it, that will lecture you about how all the ills of the world are down to you yanks.
    It would seem they will blame you personally for everything from the Bay of Pigs, Vietnam, Gulf War, Africa, El Salvador right down to Trump.

Now the best answer is that you are not responsible for your government, but if they persist you could counter back with this.

Remind them what might have happened to Western Europe, but for American military force.
    Remind them what a backwards shytehole Ireland would be, but for all those American multinationals that chose to set up here even as far back as 60s/70s.
    Remind them of all the colleges in Ireland that benefited from bursaries and funding given by Americans.
    Remind them of all the Irish that were given a fresh start in the US.

The "do nots" when here would be...
    Don't be very demanding, it is a trait exhibited by some of your country folk and Irish people don't like it.
    Don't expect the ultra friendly service, our service staff don't have the tip culture in the US and some may be just peed off with not just you but everyone.
    But you will meet genuine friendly service especially in quieter out of the big city places.
    Don't refuse to stand a round of drinks, if someone buys you a drink you buy one back even if you are not drinking another yourself.
    Also don't try match some Irish drink for drink or you will be under the table.

Also beware Irish people like to talk and sometimes can be nosey.
    Oh I like this!.
    Thank you
    Trust me, I have no plans on trying to go toe to toe in a drinking game. I'd be under the table when hes just getting started. I'm a cheap date. :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Yurt! wrote: »

Long Island Jewish types
    American servicemen I also find to be thoroughly decent, always interesting / sad stories about their service in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Least favourite types:

Long Island greaser Italians (not all Italian Americans just guys from LI are the pits)
    Floridians in general
    Tech brahs from the bay
    Valley girls
    Irish who are not legal and spend all their time in bars lamenting not being able to go home.....

Fixed that...a little :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

The fascination with war and guns is mind boggling.
    Looking in from the outside the country is a basket case and it’s quite disturbing that they are the self appointed leaders of the free world.
    The whole corporate system.....well
    The country isn’t free by a long shot.
    It’s not what I hope prevails in the world we live in.
    Whataboutery a phrase invented by that country to hide their own hypocrisy.

Guns......Guns....

The sooner they are toppled the better in my opinion.
    And it’s coming.

I don’t know if they can see it living there.
    But the country is ran not by the people but by large corps and a few elite.
    Michael Moore’s documentaries are brilliant to see what goes on over there.

All politics related I know

Was in the Dominican Republic on my honeymoon in mid 2000’s and I couldn’t handle them.
    The constant talk of iraq and war is actually messed up.
    Loud and brash a little bit of humbleness would go a long way.
    We did get to know a couple who were much older than us that we would chat to if we ended up bumping into each other.
    But they were relaxed and were enjoying the drink and easy going and having a laugh.

Lack of knowledge outside there own place in general
    A conversation in said place below about how ireland isn’t too bad for a third world country sums that up.
    Saying that , I live near a famous pub and castle that is full of American tourists every night of the summer and have had many a good night and laugh.
    Not shy by any stretch and willing to engage with anybody about anything.
    Entertaining.
    The country and politics is just messed up and the suffering they have caused throughout history you think they might be a little more subtle in their approach.
    They could learn a thing or 2 from the Germans.

Nice people tho, just a bit thinking they are all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

NSAman wrote: »
    Fixed that...a little :)

Ah the maudlin Paddy propping up the bar in Molly Malone's in Chicago / NY / Philadelphia / San Francisco.

"Shur I haven't been home in ten year. Tis Aunty Eileen's month's mind on Saturday. Tis well and good for ye J1 lads, ye get to come over and hurl for the summer with a few dollars in your pocket and then home to your family. Lassht niiGhht is I lay drrreamming of pllheashannnt dbrhjdjdkk ginbyyyye."

Living in a 6 bedroom house in the suburbs

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »

Long Island Jewish types
    American servicemen I also find to be thoroughly decent, always interesting / sad stories about their tours in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Least favourite types:

Floridians in general
    Tech brahs from the bay
    Valley girls
    Insufferable WASPs who went to Ivy League colleges who only got in because their daddy/grandfather is a major donor.

Heck, you and me both.
    I will tell you being from Oklahoma we have a general sense of helping others. If I ever get a flat tire, I promise I will have at least one or two people stop to offer to help. Once I got stuck in the snow and a couple guys in one of those big ol trucks came and pulled me out. When you're on smaller roads, when you pass someone, even if you don't know them, you wave. When walking in a store, you ALWAYS hold the door for the person behind you or if an elderly person is walking in or out. Although we may be overzealous with enthusiasm when we meet people from other countries, we generally are good people.
    Now other parts of the US .... ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,223 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

XsApollo wrote: »
    The sooner they are toppled the better in my opinion. And it’s coming... Was in the Dominican Republic on my honeymoon in mid 2000’s and I couldn’t handle them... They could learn a thing or 2 from the Germans.

That must have been mortifying for you. I can see that's led to some issues you have about wanting to see the US 'toppled' by someone, doubtless you must mean China.
    Tell you what, move to China and make a similar post about all the failings of the Chinese government and let us know how you get on.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Why would that be mortifying for me?
    Pretty pathetic that it’s a constant conversation and something to proud of really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

they're the only thing wrong with America imo

Why would that be mortifying for me?
    Pretty pathetic that it’s a constant conversation and something to proud of really.

Why would I care about China actually?

Is that whataboutery?

Why would I care about China actually?
    Is that whataboutery?

You probably should care, because you are the one who want to see the US 'toppled', and China seem to be canvassing for that position.

You seem to be fond of the Germans, though I'm not quite sure what the US is supposed to learn from them? How to invade Russia?
    Or how to turn a blind eye and sign a gas deal while Russia invades Ukraine?

It's not whataboutery to point out that the US seems worthy of your invective but not other major countries that exist today; and therefore to question what 'standard' you are holding them to, or comparing them against.

The 20th century, without the US to prevent Nazi or Communist hegemony, would have been an even greater nightmare of death camps and mass famines and total war and the extinction of whatever freedoms we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Saying that , I live near a famous pub and castle that is full of American tourists every night of the summer and have had many a good night and laugh.

Do you live the Cratloe side or the "Bridge" side of Bunratty ?

Sorry but it does sound like description of Bunratty and Dirty Nellies.

If you do live in that area think about what Americans have done for the Shannon region and what the place would be like without that investment.

And yes that includes the money the US servicemen transiting through Shannon brings to the airport.

Yes the US is fooked up with the power that corporate America has over politics, yes some of them are mad into guns.
    But the strange thing is there are lots of people in America that aren't into mimicking Rambo or Dirty Harry.
    Yes there are lots of Americans, and others, still believing in the American dream which is now a load of hogwash just there to try keep the hamsters on the wheel.

And yes there are lots of Americans that think the world ends at Tijuana and couldn't even point out Canada on a map, nevermind Ireland or even Afghanistan.
    The size of the States means that you don't have to leave the place to experience everything from deserts, to jungle, to alpine sking and everything inbetween.
    Of course culture and history is something that can't be replicated.

But really when you look at it there are lots of places in the world with lots of people who are equally as limited in their knowledge.
    Just look at the mess the Brits are in at the minute.

I am not allowed discuss …

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You probably should care, because you are the one who want to see the US 'toppled', and China seem to be canvassing for that position.

You seem to be fond of the Germans, though I'm not quite sure what the US is supposed to learn from them? How to invade Russia?
    Or how to turn a blind eye and sign a gas deal while Russia invades Ukraine?

It's not whataboutery to point out that the US seems worthy of your invective but not other major countries that exist today; and therefore to question what 'standard' you are holding them to, or comparing them against.

The 20th century, without the US to prevent Nazi or Communist hegemony, would have been an even greater nightmare of death camps and mass famines and total war and the extinction of whatever freedoms we have.

The best of a bad bunch doesn’t make it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Kinda like a mix of the Dukes of Hazard and Wall Street I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Angel1971 wrote: »
    It is true we dont do as much international travel as most others in the world. But I have to say because the United States land mass is so large. If you were to take the same dimensions and lay it across Europe you would see just how far it is from the east coast to west coast. While I've not traveled outside of the US and Canada, I have been to most states and up and down both coasts.
    I wish I could live in Europe and have traveled that same distance because I couldve been exposed to so many difderent cultures and experienced far more diversity.

Yea it has a huge land mass and different states have different landscapes and climates and culture. Some states are like different countrys in a way. I have dome some traveling in the states and lived in canada.
    You should do a bit of international travel. You only live once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

That’s a myth. I mean watch US tv shows.

Ok, so the writers of the show can write sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Irish people love America and always have. It's seen as a 'cool' place to paddy.

All the modern culture is derived from the US and to a lesser extent the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I have met a few decent ones in my day. Their culture is fairly bland though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,519 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Full of shyte about great great grandaddies coming from Ballygobackwards during the Great Avocado Famine. I really don't care about all your ancestors.
    Also St "Patty's" Day... cringe.

Many of them being pretty clueless about what goes on beyond their doorstep globally.

The inexplicable love affair with guns.

The noise level. Going around Prague you always knew a Septic Tank was within audio range. You always heard them before making visual contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

As cliched and "mindfulness and zen posts on Facebook" as this sounds, there really is no logic in generalising entire nations. I have met many Americans who were absolutely lovely people, couldn't do enough for you, and I have also met a few who were downright horrible people but that has nothing to do with their nation- I have also met a variety of Swiss, French, Irish, English, Australian and German people, some are lovely others are hideous. I think its pure ignorance to approach meeting people with a biased viewpoint.
    Good and bad and chatty and quiet and rude and helpful and boring and interesting exist in all people on the planet.

Full of shyte about great great grandaddies coming from Ballygobackwards during the Great Avocado Famine. I really don't care about all your ancestors.

Many of them being pretty clueless about what goes on beyond their doorstep globally.

The noise level. Going around Prague you always knew a Septic Tank was within audio range. You always heard them before making visual contact.

Ever seen a bunch of women on a Hen Night ? (Hag Night)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

jmayo wrote: »
    If you do live in that area think about what Americans have done for the Shannon region and what the place would be like without that investment.

No need to think because it wasn't always there. Just think about Dublin without it. Remember Dublin in the 80's and 90's? It wasn't exactly a utopia. It too is better for the likes of Google, Facebook, Microsoft etc.

BUT giving an opinion about Americans in general which is obviously based on generalizations. I just returned to Ireland after living in the Southwest for 8 years.

Somebody hit this point already but as individuals one on one. Americans are grand. They are just like anybody else. Get them into groups of 3 or more and they become very different. The only state in the US that I have driven in that didn't have absolute carnage on the roads was Hawaii and they are just technically Americans.

Parking lots are chaos too. People walk behind cars that are reversing or stroll across cars driving. No consideration for the driver. Likewise, those driving get aggressive in the parking lots too. It's all to a greater extreme around the holidays too.

Going to a sporting event or gig there is also pretty extreme compared to here. Or even say going to an NFL game in London, when everybody is jovial and there's a great spirit amongst the crowd. It's not the same over there.

The obviously just look at the division in the country. The politics. Americans! Not to be trusted in groups larger than 3! :)

People here often say Americans in service are fake. I get why, they try to be pleasant as part of their job to get tips but even when in a shop where they won't get tips, they are pleasant. When you live in an apartment building or neighborhood, the neighbors all say hi and invite you around for partys. It is not fake. They are very nice on a surface level.

The reason I say surface level is because on the other side of that. I have never witnessed worse customers and I worked in Smyth's at Christmas during the boom years. They are petulant children when it comes to service. My own (American) wife is like this too...if I go to a tyre center there and come back she'll inevitably ask were they nice to you?...I don't really care, I went to get a tyre changed. They did the job and got it done fast. She will also very quickly flip the b1tch switch if something is not right. I just try to defuse her if I don't think it's warranted.

The racism and hatred is also a reason why it seems surface level to me. It's crazy how people there will root against their own self interests because it would mean possibly helping others they hate more than they love themselves. The guns! the guns!! Completely irrational and from a place of hate.

Anyway, I could rant forever as it's all very fresh for me as it played a big part in why I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

mad muffin wrote: »
    California, the most liberal state is on life support. Now talks of reparations is dividing the country even more.

It has the biggest economy of any state.

Yeah, it's more the sh1te states that are choking the life out of California. The poor from other states go there for a chance of survival and warmer climate so they won't freeze to death.

Also, reparations aren't dividing anyone. Racism is...

They deserve reparations and it would be the closest thing to an actual trickle down economy they have ever had.

Another thing that bites my arse about there. The tax system is set to oppress the poor and minorities. It's f*cked up. There is no leg up for disadvantaged. Again, people there work against their own best interests out of hatred for others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,519 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ever seen a bunch of women on a Hen Night ? (Hag Night)

This wasn't half-cut screeching from a bunch of painted harpies sounding like a pet shop on fire, this was their normal speaking voices, audible above everyone else and traffic noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

old.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

It's far too hard to generalise a nation made up of 52 states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Of course Paddy is a wondeful ambassador when on foreign travels

Edgware wrote: »
    Of course Paddy is a wondeful ambassador when on foreign travels

Ain't that the truth. When living foreign, I went to two big sporting events. One of which I was sitting right behind two Irish lads. What a disaster. They turned into complete arseholes after a few drinks. They probably went home thinking everyone around them thought they were mad and great craic when in reality everyone was sick to the hole of listening to them.

At the other one, I was sitting in a different section to my cousin. The cousin ended up sitting beside a group from Ireland. He said he asked to get moved by security because they were so messy drunk and shouting gibberish that he couldn't enjoy the show himself.

We're awful wrecks with the drink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

My stereotype view of Americans - insular, loud, over nationalistic, overweight, extremely simplistic view of the world which consists of the USA and everywhere else outside.

On a more personal level, I visited the US quite a few times and found most people really friendly helpful and chatty. In fact overly chatty. A completely different culture to here. I always wondered how shrinks make a living there. I mean the amount of total strangers who I got talking to casually and ended up telling me their life story and all their issues was unbelievable.

I have visited friends and family over there and been treated like royalty. I mean by everyone in that circle. Not just friends and family but their friends that I’ve never met before. It warms the heart.

The older I’ve got though the less I like the country as a whole. When I was younger I used to think it would be a great place to live, a sort of Disney land for adults, but the older I’ve got the more cynical I’ve got about it as a country and political model. The way the poor are treated, the medical system, the gun culture, the consumption culture, the incarceration culture, the pure racism. I could go on and that’s before even thinking of their foreign policies in the last 50 years.

• Advertisement

This wasn't half-cut screeching from a bunch of painted harpies sounding like a pet shop on fire, this was their normal speaking voices, audible above everyone else and traffic noise.

Could they be louder than upstairs of a double decker bus with a quota of spanish students!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's more the sh1te states that are choking the life out of California. The poor from other states go there for a chance of survival and warmer climate so they won't freeze to death.

Do poor people really move there for a chance of survival? people are leaving California in droves and coming to my state because it's too expensive there. For lots of them, what they sell their overpriced Californian houses for they are able to buy in cash here and still have money left over to get set up. So it seems like the average working or middle class person is being pushed out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Out of curiousity, which are the extra two you're bundling in?

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Do poor people really move there for a chance of survival? people are leaving California in droves and coming to my state because it's too expensive there

same here, droves of commifornians are moving to my state and i guarantee in less than ten years they will have turned into the sh*****e they just moved from

same here, droves of commifornians are moving to my state and i guarantee in less than ten years they will have turned into the sh*****e they just moved from

Alabama aint what it used to be..;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Puerto Rico and Trumponia (formerly Iran)?

Alabama aint what it used to be..;)

Yeah but at least cousin luvin isn't frowned upon :D

As cliched and "mindfulness and zen posts on Facebook" as this sounds, there really is no logic in generalising entire nations. I have met many Americans who were absolutely lovely people, couldn't do enough for you, and I have also met a few who were downright horrible people but that has nothing to do with their nation- I have also met a variety of Swiss, French, Irish, English, Australian and German people, some are lovely others are hideous. I think its pure ignorance to approach meeting people with a biased viewpoint.
    Good and bad and chatty and quiet and rude and helpful and boring and interesting exist in all people on the planet.
    Oh I understand. This the reason I ask is because of my own opinions of people before inhad actually met them.
    For example, before I traveled to New York, I thought they were going to be rude, gang thugs and would want to rob me. What I found was very helpful people. I was in Manhattan and eating some amazing pizza. I had always wanted an "I ♡ NY" tshirt. I asked this guy who looked like a full fledged gang member. He was so friendly and helpful. I was surprised at the friendliness of those New Yorkers I came across. I also have an opinion French people are rude and hateful and hatr Americans. I've never met anyone from France, so I'm sure I'm wrong.
    I was just wondering if people had a positive or negative perception of Americans.

HAHAHAHA!!!!

Wompa1 wrote: »

Another thing that bites my arse about there. The tax system is set to oppress the poor and minorities. It's f*cked up. There is no leg up for disadvantaged. Again, people there work against their own best interests out of hatred for others.

I'm gonna argue with this one.
    In the US it doesnt matter what socio-economic group you were born, you can work your way out. You're not doomed to stay where you were born.
    I was born into a dirt poor family. My cousin and I are the only people who graduated college. Most of my family were supported by our welfare system. But I wanted more for myself. I went to school, I worked hard, too jobs once even three and I fought hard. I did better. I can be anything I want to be. I dont expect anyone to give me anything. And now because of hard work and a good career, I'm now talking to some wonderful people about a trip I've wanted since I was a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

In the US it doesnt matter what socio-economic group you were born, you can work your way out. You're not doomed to stay where you were born.
    I was born into a dirt poor family. My cousin and I are the only people who graduated college. Most of my family were supported by our welfare system. But I wanted more for myself. I went to school, I worked hard, too jobs once even three and I fought hard. I did better. I can be anything I want to be. I dont expect anyone to give me anything. And now because of hard work and a good career, I'm now talking to some wonderful people about a trip I've wanted since I was a child.

I'm available for adoption.

Yay!!!
    Sign me up

I was born into a dirt poor family. My cousin and I are the only people who graduated college. Most of my family were supported by our welfare system. But I wanted more for myself. I went to school, I worked hard, two jobs once even three and I fought hard. I did better. I can be anything I want to be. I dont expect anyone to give me anything. And now because of hard work and a good career, I'm now talking to some wonderful people about a trip I've wanted since I was a child.

Yay!!!
    Sign me up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Yay!!!
    Sign me up

I think you misunderstood me. ... yay.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Do poor people really move there for a chance of survival? people are leaving California in droves and coming to my state because it's too expensive there. For lots of them, what they sell their overpriced Californian houses for they are able to buy in cash here and still have money left over to get set up. So it seems like the average working or middle class person is being pushed out

Compared to the east coast where it's freezing or Arizona in the summer where they are dying from exposure. Go to LA, Central California or Northern California. There's a reason they are there and it's not because they get more help. Who the f*ck wants to live by the LA river?

A friend of mine ran his own charity in Phoenix (he now runs it in Oregon as he moved) helping out homeless people. The guy is a real version of Ned Flanders, mustache and all. He told me and I believe him that the cities hide the real number of those who die from exposure each year by labelling the deaths as OD or misadventure, the ones who either mentally or financially are not capable of getting out during the worst part of the year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement