Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duplex for sale

• 08-04-2019 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else notice that daft has started calling semi detached houses Duplexes?

I wonder what would be the rationale for trying to promote this Americanism. I have never heard someone who wasn't American calling a house a duplex

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How does the OP spell programme? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Is a Duplex not a 2 storey apartment over/under another apartment??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Latex condo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Is a Duplex not a 2 storey apartment over/under another apartment??

Yup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Noveight wrote: »
    Latex condo.
    i'd sure like to live in one of those

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,855 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Did anyone else notice that daft has started calling semi detached houses Duplexes?

I wonder what would be the rationale for trying to promote this Americanism. I have never heard someone who wasn't American calling a house a duplex

A duplex is a very particular type of house.

Its usually a two storey house over a single storey apartment.....and can be semi detached.

So are you sure you just didn't look at the photos incorrectly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I just did a search on Daft for Duplex and they were all Duplexes and none were semi detached houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

If you think about the real weirdness is in the term semi detached. A semi detached house is in fact attached to another house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

If you think about the real weirdness is in the term semi detached. A semi detached house is in fact attached to another house.

hence the "semi" bit. one end of each unit is not attached whereas one end is...so, prepare to get your mind blown...it is semi-detached.

TomasMacR wrote: »
    hence the "semi" bit. one end of each unit is not attached whereas one end is...so, prepare to get your mind blown...it is semi-detached.

Is anything else attached to something called semi detached? No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

dunno ... duplex (building) sounds pretty common to me. can't say the same about fourplex or is it quadruplex ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Should call it a half and half :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

Maybe one of those cunning selling techniques which caught on. I'd rather buy a house which is semi-detached to someone than semi-attached to them.

TomasMacR wrote: »
    Maybe one of those cunning selling techniques which caught on. I'd rather buy a house which is semi-detached to someone than semi-attached to them.

It’s definitely a marketing term that we got used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Loads of Duplexes around, came from the celtic tiger era, supprised you haven't incountered it before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Replacement toner is expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

In the USA a building with 2 houses or apartments, each having its own front door, is a duplex. If they happen to be side by side, instead of one on top of the other, then its what we would call a semi-detached.

Over here, if there is one on top of the other and both have their own external door, then strictly speaking its a maisonette. Loads of older apartments over shops are like that, or the newer apartments with external staircases.

To add to the confusion, the word duplex has been imported here and used to mean an apartment on 2 levels, even if it does not have its own external front door. So that's really just an apartment on 2 levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

In USA it is quite normal that one person owns building but lives in one apartment and rents out the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

In Malaysia they call detached houses bungalows, despite them usually being 2 storey and semi-detached are called link houses.

Here most apartments are called condos and a condo with 2 storeys is a duplex.

Witchie wrote: »
    In Malaysia they call detached houses bungalows, despite them usually being 2 storey and semi-detached are called link houses.

Actually what I learned recently is that, in the US, a condominium has seperate ownership but appartments are all owned by one company and individual units can only be rented.

https://www.rent.com/blog/difference-between-condo-and-apartment/

• Advertisement

Just go into an estate agent and ask them whether they're half duplex and full duplex. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,444 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Witchie wrote: »

A bungalow is derived from Bengali ghar, a Bengal (Bangladesh) style house. There is had more to do with verandahs and being detached. Bungalow only denotes single story (apart from dormers) in Ireland and the U.K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I do like to sit out on the verandah in my jodhpurs, sipping a darjeeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Giving places names they dont deserve is quite normal on daft
    4th floor appartement with no view whatsoever is advertised as a "penthouse" without irony.

And since we have gone international: Semi-detached is called a "2-under-1-roof" in The Netherlands.

Advertisement