Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sex education in schools!

Options
  • 07-03-2019 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭

When I was in secondary school it was very basic in SPHE. Basically wear a condom to help prevent pregnancy/STD's/etc.
    We also had sex education at the end of primary school.
    They could have of course went into more detail but I felt most people got the message.
    I do think they could of course up date the SPHE course more or bring in outsiders to discuss the matter.(Consent classes could also be done).
    I heard somebody saying that the should be more discussion of sexual positions/etc but it that may be a bit over the top.

How do you think sex education should be taught in schools?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

At 11 I learned what sex is, and what can happen as a result of sex. Found it to be accurate when I got around to doing it. Has it changed much since I last did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A lot of us got it behind the bicycle shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Maybe a less practical version than the priests and nuns gave to previous generations.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Highlight all the diseases one can get from sleeping around or not using protection. Ensure there are pictures at the various stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭agrostar

Sex education as with all education should start at home with parents talking to their children and explaining how to live, ask for consent ect. Too much is expected to be taught in schools. Parents need to talk to their children and not expect others to do everything for them even if it is a little embarrassing or awkward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

A lot of us got it behind the bicycle shed.

That priest was sacked soon after though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Very, very carefully. It absolutely should be part of the school curriculum but only as a backup to the sex education kids should be getting at home. It was always a parents responsibility and should largely remain so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I dont recall ever learning anything about sex in school, from teachers anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

I'd stick to the basics, if parents want to teach kids about LGBT stuff they can do that in their own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Should be an ongoing thing throughout school done in an age appropriate way.

My sex ed was like an extended biology lesson and we were in 5th year, far too late

Ideally there would be no need for sex ed because all children would be raised in sex positive homes but that will never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

We got told about Aids and made watch Philadelphia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

OSI wrote: »
    What diseases are caused exclusively by "sleeping around"?

Just one, children. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Most kids could probably teach the teachers a thing or two about the aul ridin'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I heard somebody saying that the should be more discussion of sexual positions/etc but it that may be a bit over the top.

Not over the top at all but I think it would be about teaching how sex can be enjoyable. Sex us mostly used as recreation and bonding between couples. So the idea of teaching about sex and ignoring the most common reason for having sex is absurd.

Likewise the consent aspect is about more than 'no means no'. It about figuring out what you want to do and knowing how to discuss it AND figuring out what your partner wants to do and how to discuss it.

So I'd look at what sex is and how it's used and teach children all they need to know about it. It's a mixture of health, hygiene, social, reproduction, bonding between couples and just plain recreation. So teach all the aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'd stick to the basics, if parents want to teach kids about LGBT stuff they can do that in their own time.
    Why? Even if you just teach it as dry facts, LGBT stuff is part of the picture. Why avoid topics? Why not teach the facts and just avoid the judgmental side?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I don't think I'd trust a lot parents to teach about homosexuality to be honest. Especially not the conservative ones.

Beyond that, what do you mean by the basics? Biology? They already know where the bits go.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

agrostar wrote: »
    Sex education as with all education should start at home with parents talking to their children and explaining how to live, ask for consent ect. Too much is expected to be taught in schools. Parents need to talk to their children and not expect others to do everything for them even if it is a little embarrassing or awkward.
    Very, very carefully. It absolutely should be part of the school curriculum but only as a backup to the sex education kids should be getting at home. It was always a parents responsibility and should largely remain so.

The problem with this is that many parents either can't or won't take that responsibility so the state needs to ensure no child is left behind in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

And in doing that you'd be excluding teenagers who may identify as LGBT from receiving sex education which is relevant to their own situation.
    That's hardly fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dont be telling the kids about the sex. They'll only start riding each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Guess some folks will say it's a fine line between exploring the LGBT education stuff in terms of education for promoting equality and fairness,
    and on the other hand making it appear as cool, fun or trendy (promotion) to young (4-11) type developing minds.

If in doubt, some schools such as this one over in Birmingham will just close the gates, at any whiff of discussing it regardless of intent, or see 80% of it's pupils withdrawn by their parents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why? Even if you just teach it as dry facts, LGBT stuff is part of the picture. Why avoid topics? Why not teach the facts and just avoid the judgmental side?

What has sexuality got to do with it? Sex education is just 2 things, how pregnancy happens, along with possible means to reduce it and what STDs are, along with possible means to prevent them.

All the stuff about LGBT+ can be handled either in Civics (from a rights perspective) or SPHE (from a social recognition/respect perspective).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

My class in school were taught sex education at about 11-12 yrs old.
    It was a day long and it was detailed and covered a lot.
    It was also delivered in a mature manner.

That's how I hope it's still taught.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

What has sexuality got to do with it? Sex education is just 2 things, how pregnancy happens, along with possible means to reduce it and what STDs are, along with possible means to prevent them.

All the stuff about LGBT+ can be handled either in Civics (from a rights perspective) or SPHE (from a social recognition/respect perspective).

Sex education is not just about mehanics of making a baby. One of the main things l remember from our sex education was to encourage to first just to stick to foreplay, how not to be pressurised into sex. Kids will explore their sexuality but navigating emotional part of it is just as important as mehanics and telling them to use condoms.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Sex education is not just about mehanics of making a baby. One of the main things l remember from our sex education was to encourage to first just to stick to foreplay, how not to be pressurised into sex. Kids will explore their sexuality but navigating emotional part of it is just as important as mehanics and telling them to use condoms.

I said it's about 2 things... and you only read 1...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I said it's about 2 things... and you only read 1...

I read it. I don't know why you need six different subjects to cover one item.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That priest was sacked soon after though.

Nancy knew her stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

When I was in secondary school it was very basic in SPHE. Basically wear a condom to help prevent pregnancy/STD's/etc.
    We also had sex education at the end of primary school.
    They could have of course went into more detail but I felt most people got the message.
    I do think they could of course up date the SPHE course more or bring in outsiders to discuss the matter.(Consent classes could also be done).

in 93 when I left school we were told that wearing condoms would result in you going to hell.

Although to be fair you had to head up to dublin to the family planning stall in the virgin megastore to get condoms back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Science class should deal with mechanics.

Cspe class with the laws and consent

Sphe with equality for lgbt and peer pressure and emotions around sex.

99% should come from home tho

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Science class should deal with mechanics.

Cspe class with the laws and consent

Sphe with equality for lgbt and peer pressure and emotions around sex.

99% should come from home tho

I don't see why. Most parents never had formal sex and relationship education. The fact that they managed to reproduce hardly qualifies them to teach their kids about it.

besides, no-one likes hearing their parents talk about sex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

There are some very informative DVDs available which would help. They usually involve plumbers, young Stepmoms helping Stepson while Dad is away etc

Advertisement