Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any of you go running after years of cycling?!

Options
  • 17-12-2018 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi!

How are you all doing today?
    I have been cycling for about 10 years...commuting to work, sportive, trips to Alps, tours etc etc..
    I have tried a few times to get back to running... ie going for a jog for 20 - 40 mins, particularly during the Winter months...
    I have gone for a few runs over the last few weekends, slowly building up distance and time.. on Saturday I went for a 30 minute run around my local park..
    I have been sore since Saturday... particularly my heel-- ankle---achilles..

I am not looking for any physio or medical advice..

I just wanted to know if any of you found running really tough after lots of cycling?
    Are there any ways to prep your body for the impact, use of different muscles etc?

Thanks a mil!

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Arequipa wrote: »
    Hi!

How are you all doing today?
    I have been cycling for about 10 years...commuting to work, sportive, trips to Alps, tours etc etc..
    I have tried a few times to get back to running... ie going for a jog for 20 - 40 mins, particularly during the Winter months...
    I have gone for a few runs over the last few weekends, slowly building up distance and time.. on Saturday I went for a 30 minute run around my local park..
    I have been sore since Saturday... particularly my heel-- ankle---achilles..

I am not looking for any physio or medical advice..

I just wanted to know if any of you found running really tough after lots of cycling?
    Are there any ways to prep your body for the impact, use of different muscles etc?

Thanks a mil!

A

I recently started the couch to 5k. Same as you, commenting for 10+ years on the bike, except I had never run before. I’m on week 5 now which has running sections up to 8 mins long (started at 1min runs). I’d never have pushed myself that far without the app telling me what to do. Surprised myself that my legs hurt before I was out of breath, but I guess the cycling has me fit but it’s different muscles in use. Never thought I’d enjoy it as much as I do tho. The couch to 5k program does seem to lower you gently into it and I’ve had no issues with pain or stiffness, etc, the next day. Might be too easy for you if you’re running for 30 mins but there are similar programs to get you to 10k, half marathon and full marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Thanks for the feedback... that coach to 5km sounds like a great idea..
    I think I have to run a bit 'softer'f u know what I mean, and watch my footfall onto the centre of my foot..
    Then warm up, stretching after etc, should all help..

The big advantage of a run, is it works the body quicker than cycling... 30 mins is like 1 - 1.5 hours of cycling...
    Cycling as well does not provide that impact that bones need from time to time...
    Its nice in the winter too...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, would you look at what GCN uploaded only two days ago:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’ve done 3 marathons in the past 12 months. Each time I felt it in the knees, from reading up on it. It’s over developed upper legs. (Quads , hamstrings etc.)

Just keep at it. Make sure you have good runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

3 years ago I decided I’d start running on the threadmill in the gym twice a week. I’d do 4/5kms but after the third time I thought fcuk this and went out and ran on the road instead. I done 5km from the get go and was surprised I was able to. I kept it up for the winter until late March and then started back on the bike again. I intended to do the same each winter after but never got around to it. I do think it’s a great way of keeping some level of fitness through winter and a 5km run twice a week was enough to keep my fitness level at a reasonable level. I don’t know what my pace was as I just timed myself on my watch but my fastest was 20min 20seconds but generally it was around the 22/23min time for a 5km run.

• Advertisement

Magicbastarder...that is epic good timing by gcn..

yea, I played football, rowed, played basketball when I was younger... had a few injuries, but nothing too serious..
    it seems that my ankles //heel//anchilles get sore first..knees...hamstrings...calves and quads are all fine after a run..
    I have axis runners...for running!

thanks for the feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I have axis runners...for running!

thanks for the feedback!

Have you just bought them or got them from a proper running shoe store because there are different types depending on whether you're an over or under pronator (or neutral) which has bearing on how your foot/ankle rolls during running.

Also if you're just starting off probably look at running less distance more often rather than 40 minute jogs on the weekend. I'm back running again in my late thirties and I struggled at the start with lower leg niggles. I think stuff like tendons don't adapt and heal as well as when you're in your teens/twenties so whilst your cardio might allow for a 40 minute run your tendons might not.

Stretching and foam rolling seems to be more important to me as well than it did in my twenties. It's boring but don't ignore it.

Finally, it can help to pay a visit to a running physio to nip any issues in the bud as tiny things can blow out in running if you ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... commenting for 10+ years on the bike....
    Now I've an image of you passing remarks and opinions on everybody and everything as you zip along! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

What is this running thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bazermc wrote: »
    It's a popular way of destroying your body. Any cyclist who considers it is obviously not doing enough cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Its like going for a cycle without the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Take up swimming as well enter competitions and be sh1t at 3 sports

The big advantage of a run, is it works the body quicker than cycling... 30 mins is like 1 - 1.5 hours of cycling...

This is the main reason I started. I’ve found cycling good for fitness levels but the only thing for me that shifted the extra pounds (and stones) was walking. I’d walk to/from work a couple of times a week and at 12km it would take 1hr 40mins. Great for mental health as well. But you’d get out of the routine every few weeks and it’s hard to get back into. Even though I’m only 5 weeks in, I’m kicking myself for not doing it sooner. It’s (mostly) easy, it’s 30mins 3 times a week, so there’s no excuse. Already noticing a drop on the scale even with all the extra December festivities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a run, is it works the body quicker than cycling... 30 mins is like 1 - 1.5 hours of cycling...
    you mean in terms of wear and tear?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Its like going for a cycle without the bike.

But in case you were worried you can get yourself a triathlon suit and still wear lycra for the run and because you'll be going much slower can truly appreciate those glances from the public at your ripped middle aged body.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Dip in and out of running, usually train up to the 10km in an hour sort of level and then lose interest for another few months... the knees inevitably start to suffer and I start to wane... my back problem does feel much better as a result of the stronger core so I keep meaning to find a running routine similar to my cycling where I tip away at a near constant fitness level of less but often, but the bike wins most of the time... and if doesn't I'd probably prefer a good hike...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's an aerobic fitness thing. Your cardiovascular system is way fitter than the muscles you use for running.

In the same way that if you get on the bike and go do 150km after a few months off everything will hurt. Someone who is unfit will be out of breath before their muscles complain. You won't, you could actually do some real damage.

Start out doing 3km, 3 times a week. 6 min/km, no faster, but slower if it feels more comfortable. It might feel a bit bizarre at first, you'll get in from a run barely warmed up.

Week 2, 3km
    Week 3 & 4, 4km
    Week 5 & 6, 5km

From there you should be nicely conditioned to start upping the pace and distance. Distance up by 10% per week, no more. Pace up by 10 sec/km/week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Aerobically, running after a cycling focus isn't tough, but that's where the danger lies really - doing too much too soon when the muscles and joints aren't ready.

I did Triathlon for a couple of years, and have tried to keep a weekly run going, especially in weather like this. One (of several) reasons I've moved away from triathlon is the toll of running on the body (it was mainly the bike is just best though!). There are some that are adamant that the toll on the body is muscle imbalances/ weak core etc that will eventually show from cycling too, so the wear and tear excuse is just kicking the can down the road. I guess we'll see.

As for prep, just build up slowly as Seamus suggested no more than 10% a week. Or the couch to 5k someone else suggested. Apart from that, it's mobility/ flexibility and strength work that will help. None of which I do regularly, hence the constant run niggles.

I wouldn't listen to advice on what runners though - if you're going to do it, go somewhere for a gait analysis like Amphibian King. Speaking from the experience of a supinator, a lot of the symptoms are the same as an overpronator (which is much more common) - if I'd listened to advice on boards and got stability runners it would've been the exact opposite of what I needed, despite the symptoms apparently being the same.

A bit of impact exercise is supposed to be good for bone density in cyclists. For me, there's just days it's easier to fit in a run than a bike really though.

i'm looking into starting a swimming regime for core strength. anyone else do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

i'm looking into starting a swimming regime for core strength. anyone else do this?
    I don't think it would add much tbh. To swim well you need a strong core, not that it helps build a strong core.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Which of the couch to five k apps are the best? Play Store is flooded with them.

Thargor wrote: »
    Which of the couch to five k apps are the best? Play Store is flooded with them.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.c25k&hl=en_IE

This was the first one I found that didnt require payment to unlock all routines. There are ads instead but you can at least put up with them. After week 2 I ended up paying because it's a decent app. Can listen to spotify while running and theres a tone and voice prompt to tell you when to walk/run. I use it on iOS but assume its the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appsymphony.run5k

This is what I use. Gives you voice prompts when to run/ walk/ halfway etc. Records your routes so you can see previous attempts on the route and same as above you can use spotify while its running also. Focuses on 3 runs a week with the middle run being the hardest effort. Minimal ads and its free

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

Used to run loads and then took up mountain biking/cycling, thereafter the running took a nose dive.

This year, I'd say 10 months since I last went for a run, I partook in a charity 5k. I'd been commuting loads on the bike, putting up big mileage and the lungs and heart were in good form. So I clocked in 22 minutes, not fast really but way ahead of my running work colleagues. For the next week though, literally the 7 days, i was very sore all over - a bad case of the DOMS.

Bang for buck it's hard to beat a fast (for you) 5km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

If you start running after cycling for a long time, some suggestions to spare your legs would be

Warm up before
    Run slowly with short steps
    Try and change the terrain

Buy decent runners

I was an orienteerer and mountain runner in my teens and never ran on pavement, that's really what kills me now and I think same might be true for many not used to the impact

thank you for the replies... i ran on the beach a while back as well.. and was quite sore afterwards too..i think the soft sand and pulling legs up and down through it, really worked the tendons and muscles!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Forget Running... I went from cycling for years to doing a two hour walk/hike in Wicklow! geez i nearly needed the Mountain rescue guys to come get me! :) My Ankles, Knees, hips and lower back were very sore at the end of the hike. I could hardly walk back to the car. You do get used to it though...a few weeks later week climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro and survived!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

seamus wrote: »
    In the same way that if you get on the bike and go do 150km after a few months off everything will hurt. Someone who is unfit will be out of breath before their muscles complain. You won't, you could actually do some real damage.

100% this. Go ridiculously slowly to begin with. All the ligaments and tendons will strengthen (thicken) and the chances of injuries ahead should be reduced.

I suffered from ankle tendonitis after going from zero running to 30/40km running per week. When it finally cleared up, I started back with walking 5-10km per week for a month, then upped to 1-2 km slow jogs (6:30-7:00 per km) three times a week for a few weeks, then upped the distance again but not the pace to 3-4 km three times a week, ... You get the picture.

Physio told me once you start doing 20km per week to increase distance at most 10% per week. To help stop myself going mad I introduced interval sessions at this stage, high intensity, low distance.

2 years later, zero injuries, and running away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I have. Packed in cycling earlier this year and have focused much more on running. I get the odd niggle and one near serious almost knee injury but flagged it in time and got it taken care of just before the DCM this year. I really enjoy running more than the bike now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Similar to some above, came from a cycling background and got into running alongside it some years back. Think it's been mentioned above but would strongly advise getting proper runners, in a proper running shop. They may seem expensive, but as someone who's spent a small fortune on physio after a couple of running induced injuries I highly advise investing in them.

Some may disagree, but I wouldn't get too caught up in a couch to 5k program if you've a good level of cycling fitness, as seamus says above just start out slow and build it up gradually.

As for stretching, there's a lot of debate as to whether static stretching does more harm than good. Personally I absolutely hate it and go through phases of not doing it, but I probably feel the benefit more when I do. Good bit of advice I got was never to stretch a cold muscle for more than 2 seconds. Think of a rubber band coming out of a freezer, you stretch it too long and it snaps, multiple small short stretches are what's needed. And pay attention to your Achilles, that's a proper bastard of an injury to deal with....

Advertisement