Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serial offender apologizes for robbery and walks free!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I said sorry ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

How can the system be fixed. It's a joke. Does conviction number 161 have to be a death or serious injury before he gets jail time? Will sorry work then?

I don't agree with 3 strikes and you're out. But I would agree with 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Only 160 previous, no wonder he got off, that's too little, you need to have 400 plus to get real jail time in Ireland, of course he's only 25 so is heading the correct direction in his "career"

If the victim of the crime asks the Court not to impose a custodial sentence, the Court should rightly take it into account.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Sure how will the legal profession earn a crust if not through repeat business

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

honestly if he is in rehab and appears to be making progress.. I don't have an issue.

If you read the article , you'd know the judge has imposed strict conditions that he attend AA and the victim expressed a view NOT to see him jailed.
    But I guess stating that type of detail doesn't make a good thread.

If this lad gets clean and had a chance of being a productive member of society then I'm all for it rather than go to prison and continue on this road which does nobody (him or society) any good.

or we could just hang them all.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭paulbok

He is in rehab now, after offence 160.
    Why didn't this happen after say offence 50? If he wasn't willing to go then, why was the court as lenient as they are now.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Yeah the Gardai are cool with their members sporting neck tatoos. Bet he was wearing a tracksuit as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

We are a basket case country. Absolutely bonkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

arayess wrote: »
    honestly if he is in rehab and appears to be making progress.. I don't have an issue.

If you read the article , you'd know the judge has imposed strict conditions that he attend AA and the victim expressed a view NOT to see him jailed.

If this lad gets clean and had a chance of being a productive member of society then I'm all for it rather than go to prison and continue on this road which does nobody (him or society) any good.

160 fooking convictions. He's just doing what he's doing to keep himself from being jailed. Nice lad my ring. Get a grip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,903 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

In new York I believe the zero tolerance approach to crime is working,but not here!

According to whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

He shouldn't have had enough freedom to be on his 161st conviction. That's the problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

160 convictions. His legal bills must be astronomical. Not to mention the state funded cans and heroin.

We need to bring back hard labour followed by the death penalty. This **** would have been strung up years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I happen to know this guy, and I know him as a complete sweetheart as I've only ever met him when he was sober. He's just a really lovely friendly guy, and a devoted dad. He's got a good heart.

It wouldn't be right for me to go into detail here, but he's been through more than most, and for him the damage started at a very young age. He's been completely let down by everyone who should ever have looked out for him, and that doesn't make it right that he's done harm to others, but he's serious about addressing his issues. So what would be the point in locking him up again even after successfully completing a residential treatment program? Many lads I know have actually said they'd happily choose prison over Cuan Mhuire, it's no joke.

Thread title is misleading by the way, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been let walk free if he hadn't been in treatment at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

I had a serious debate with the OH last night.
    Here we are breaking our backs to have saved 65k for a deposit for our first house. When we could be peddling drugs for a massive reward. The risk? It's tiny, so insignificant that it's not worth thinking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I happen to know this guy, and I know him as a complete sweetheart as I've only ever met him when he was sober. He's just a really lovely friendly guy, and a devoted dad. He's got a good heart.

160 convictions.

You have to work pretty damn hard at being a criminal to get 160 convictions. I'm sure he is a real ****ing angel alright. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It's my money judge I just didn't want to fill in the forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Everyone deserves a second chance or in this case a 162nd chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Here we are breaking our backs to have saved 65k for a deposit for our first house. When we could be peddling drugs for a massive reward. The risk? It's tiny, so insignificant that it's not worth thinking about.

So go peddle drugs and everything will be rosy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Or two bricks in another man's language. Try it and see how you get on, a lot of credit risk and bad debt risk in that space, challenging regulatory environment, and fierce competition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

160 convictions equals about 1300 court outcomes. Thats each summons or charge remanded in the district court and the totals added up.

Each remand date is an earner for his solicitor with some simple "no insurance" case sometimes having up to 30 remands.

Judges will rarely lock up people like this and deprive their colleagues the chance of further work.

Our prisons are full but there is a core group of people all over the countty who continue to reoffend. The legal profession needs these people to operate and earn their money.

Unfortunately the rest of the country has to put up with their crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    According to whom?

Crime stats

Turner wrote: »
    Each remand date is an earner for his solicitor with some simple "no insurance" case sometimes having up to 30 remands.

By "earner" do you mean "pain in the hole"?

By "remand" do you mean "adjourn"?

Could you pin down the Court area where a Judge has adjourned a no insurance case 30 times? It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that for no insurance the Judges I know might adjourn 3 times before protesting "ah come on, was he insured or not".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

He's out on two years probation.

Its aint the point but lets face it, he won't last the two years without getting caught doing something. He aint smart enough to keep clean for two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    160 fooking convictions. He's just doing what he's doing to keep himself from being jailed. Nice lad my ring. Get a grip.

So what is your idea of punishment? Send him to a jail full of drugs, where he comes out an addict still, so he still has to rob to fund his addiction? I am not expert on rehabilitation of criminals, but I don't see how sending to jail will achieve anything other than make some people feel that 'justice is being served'.

Or the alternative is he and hundreds of others go to rehab, get clean and actually stop being criminals feeding their addiction.

Explain to me the benefit to society, the criminal and the taxpayer by putting addicts into prisons with drugs to leave as addicts?

The fact that criminals are ending up 400-600 convictions and still criminals shows that prison is not working. Addiction is a medical issue as much as a criminal issue. Locking addicts up instead of putting them in rehab achieves nothing, other than making some people think justice is served

The fact that criminals are ending up 400-600 convictions and still criminals shows that prison is not working.

It certainly won't work if it isn't used.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

So what is your idea of punishment? Send him to a jail full of drugs, where he comes out an addict still, so he still has to rob to fund his addiction? I am not expert on rehabilitation of criminals, but I don't see how sending to jail will achieve anything other than make some people feel that 'justice is being served'.

Or the alternative is he and hundreds of others go to rehab, get clean and actually stop being criminals feeding their addiction.

Explain to me the benefit to society, the criminal and the taxpayer by putting addicts into prisons with drugs to leave as addicts?

The fact that criminals are ending up 400-600 convictions and still criminals shows that prison is not working. Addiction is a medical issue as much as a criminal issue. Locking addicts up instead of putting them in rehab achieves nothing, other than making some people think justice is served

how about locking him up in a basic facility that produces something that reduces the cost of running the facility,

at this point the state should be more concerned with protecting law abiding citizens that this useless non productive drain on resources.

that of eliminate him and people like him altogether. cut our losses on him he has had 160 chances to prove his worth

He is 26 years old right ? has he ever contributed anything positive to those who have supported him all his life ?

ever had a job ? paid tax ? worked fir charities even ?

he is another example of the parasites that drain the life from this counrty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Legalize heroin, give it out for free to registered addicts at injection centres. Cut down on a lot of petty crime if they know where the next fix is coming from, save the taxpayer their legal bills, create some jobs in production, save garda time... probably a few more benefits I'm not seeing immediately.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    how about locking him up in a basic facility that produces something that reduces the cost of running the facility,

at this point the state should be more concerned with protecting law abiding citizens that this useless non productive drain on resources.

that of eliminate him and people like him altogether. cut our losses on him he has had 160 chances to prove his worth

He is 26 years old right ? has he ever contributed anything positive to those who have supported him all his life ?

ever had a job ? paid tax ? worked fir charities even ?

he is another example of the parasites that drain the life from this counrty

So if your son or daughter made a wrong choice and ended up an addict. You would have zero issue with the state locking them up for life making bra's and knickers for a few cents an hour. You have zero issue with the state locking up your child for life to 'productive'?

Or would you rather your child went to rehab and turned their life around? A productive individual in society, other than modern slave labour...

Sure why stop at drug addicts? Or serious offenders? Why not put people who speak out about the in Government in work camps too? Make them all productive :rolleyes:

Look at the US, where handing out massive sentences does not reduce crime. It does not reduce the incentive to commit crime. Most criminal offence

Norway actually tries to change the person and their levels of reoffending is tiny relative to hard and mean US style prisons.

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/12/18/prison-could-be-productive

• Advertisement

So if your son or daughter made a wrong choice and ended up an addict. You would have zero issue with the state locking them up for life making bra's and knickers for a few cents an hour. You have zero issue with the state locking up your child for life to 'productive'?

Or would you rather your child went to rehab and turned their life around? A productive individual in society, other than modern slave labour...

Sure why stop at drug addicts? Or serious offenders? Why not put people who speak out about the in Government in work camps too? Make them all productive :rolleyes:

Look at the US, where handing out massive sentences does not reduce crime. It does not reduce the incentive to commit crime. Most criminal offence

Norway actually tries to change the person and their levels of reoffending is tiny relative to hard and mean US style prisons.

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/12/18/prison-could-be-productive

this guy has 160 convictions , if he was caught for one fifth of the crimes he committed id be surprised thats hundreds of victims of his crimes affected by this guys greedy selfish life choices .
    at what point would you start thinking about protecting people from him rather than babying some one who only takes from people .
    he is a parasite and served no purpose in the world except to satisfy himself

lets look at america ten if you like ,

do you think the victims of his many many crimes would have been victims there ?
    no they would have been safe from him because he would be locked away.

you object to criminals contributing to their own upkeep ? you feel tax payers should be responsible for him from cradle to grave ?

and yes if i had kids who were like him jail would be the safer place for both them and the victims of their crimes

norway isnt the best example you could have trotted out ,
    they are gong to have to release andres breivik after 21 years

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/20/anders-behring-breiviks-human-rights-violated-in-prison-norway-court-rules

ChikiChiki wrote: »

if he has addiction issues , he can hardly hide his drugs/drink usage in rehab and
    the report indicates he is doing well in rehab - this is a good thing. Whats your problem with that?
    the victim is impressed with his progress and that matters more than our debating here.
    I'd rather take the chance than send him to mountjoy surrounded by drugs and addicts only to come out and repeat the cycle.

if he has addiction issues , he can hardly hide his drugs/drink usage in rehab and
    the report indicates he is doing well in rehab - this is a good thing. Whats your problem with that?
    the victim is impressed with his progress and that matters more than our debating here.
    I'd rather take the chance than send him to mountjoy surrounded by drugs and addicts only to come out and repeat the cycle.
    Everyone does well in Rehab for a while. I have family who were out on condition of not taking drink or drugs, they managed to waffle through for a while then one died of an overdose and the other is in for 5 years now. I don't think either of them had made double digits for convictions, let alone 160. When someone has the range of convictions the piece of **** in the OP has then they don't have "a good heart". Bit of animal cruelty and all thrown in. Bookmark this and check in 2 years and I'd be surprised if he's not popped up in a few more news articles.

So if your son or daughter made a wrong choice and ended up an addict. You would have zero issue with the state locking them up for life making bra's and knickers for a few cents an hour.

He shouldn't be locked up for being an addict, he should be locked up for having over 160 criminal ****ing convictions.

The rest of your post is waffling false equivalence bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Devoted Dads don't take drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

160 convictions.

You have to work pretty damn hard at being a criminal to get 160 convictions. I'm sure he is a real ****ing angel alright. :rolleyes:

In fairness convictions can add up very fast

• Advertisement

this guy has 160 convictions , if he was caught for one fifth of the crimes he committed id be surprised thats hundreds of victims of his crimes affected by this guys greedy selfish life choices .
    at what point would you start thinking about protecting people from him rather than babying some one who only takes from people .
    he is a parasite and served no purpose in the world except to satisfy himself

Wow it sounds like you are not describing someone who is not rational. Kinda like an addict maybe?

I would consider seeing how he does in rehab. Because jail will not achieve anything. You can't lock someone up for life for petty drug crimes. He will have to leave eventually. He will leave prison as an addict likely, so the circle starts again. But he was away from society which is your justification. But that is not the purpose of prison. It is supposed to be rehabilitation

lets look at america ten if you like ,

do you think the victims of his many many crimes would have been victims there ?
    no they would have been safe from him because he would be locked away.

Do you the US has one of the highest crime rates of the developed world? With that answer, I guess not.

you object to criminals contributing to their own upkeep ? you feel tax payers should be responsible for him from cradle to grave ?

Look up the for-profit prison system and tell me if you think it the right path to follow. Giving petty crimes massive sentences to ensure there is someone in prison to make sure cheap clothing and white goods can be made

Or the alternative is actually rehab the person and make them a contributing individual in society. Did that occur to you?
    and yes if i had kids who were like him jail would be the safer place for both them and the victims of their crimes

You would have no issue with your daughter being a junkie in prison for 30 years, making bra's for a few cents an hour and never achieving anything with their life because you refuse to criminals can be reformed. Wow, I am glad I don't have you as a parent
    norway isnt the best example you could have trotted out ,
    they are gong to have to release andres breivik after 21 years

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/20/anders-behring-breiviks-human-rights-violated-in-prison-norway-court-rules

You like me to pull up a few thousands articles on how heavy sentencing in America has done little to reduce crime.

Norway actually reforms criminals. I know that is something you struggle to understand can be done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It wouldn't be right for me to go into detail here, but he's been through more than most, and for him the damage started at a very young age. He's been completely let down by everyone who should ever have looked out for him, and that doesn't make it right that he's done harm to others, but he's serious about addressing his issues. So what would be the point in locking him up again even after successfully completing a residential treatment program? Many lads I know have actually said they'd happily choose prison over Cuan Mhuire, it's no joke.

Thread title is misleading by the way, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been let walk free if he hadn't been in treatment at the time.

Why don't you call around to the scumbags house and ride him. You seem to be in love with him. He is also a father mandatory castration like they do in some countries should be in order.

Mod: Thread-banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If the victim of the crime asks the Court not to impose a custodial sentence, the Court should rightly take it into account.

Unlikely all 160 victims asked that though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

160 convictions and he's only 25. That's a hell of a criminal career. Add to that the stuff he inevitably didn't get done for too. Right little scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭McCrack

Turner wrote: »
    160 convictions equals about 1300 court outcomes. Thats each summons or charge remanded in the district court and the totals added up.

Judges will rarely lock up people like this and deprive their colleagues the chance of further work.

Our prisons are full but there is a core group of people all over the countty who continue to reoffend. The legal profession needs these people to operate and earn their money.

Unfortunately the rest of the country has to put up with their crimes.

I dont think thats accurate at all.

I am a solicitor with a criminal (and civil) practice and generally persons I deal with that that have a large number of convictions rack them up from road traffic (and other matters of course) matters and there could be 5 or 6 summonses stemming from the one stop. Generally there are two appearances for summary matters as in matters get disposed of by the second appearance.

I have never seen a situation whereby a district court or any other court has adjourned a case 30 times or anywhere near that.

The rest of your post is just cynical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

In fairness convictions can add up very fast

If you're constantly breaking the law and constantly getting away with it then yes, yes they can.

But that's the point.

Wow it sounds like you are not describing someone who is not rational. Kinda like an addict maybe?

I would consider seeing how he does in rehab. Because jail will not achieve anything. You can't lock someone up for life for petty drug crimes. He will have to leave eventually. He will leave prison as an addict likely, so the circle starts again. But he was away from society which is your justification. But that is not the purpose of prison. It is supposed to be rehabilitation

Do you the US has one of the highest crime rates of the developed world? With that answer, I guess not.

Look up the for-profit prison system and tell me if you think it the right path to follow. Giving petty crimes massive sentences to ensure there is someone in prison to make sure cheap clothing and white goods can be made

Or the alternative is actually rehab the person and make them a contributing individual in society. Did that occur to you?

You would have no issue with your daughter being a junkie in prison for 30 years, making bra's for a few cents an hour and never achieving anything with their life because you refuse to criminals can be reformed. Wow, I am glad I don't have you as a parent

You like me to pull up a few thousands articles on how heavy sentencing in America has done little to reduce crime.

Norway actually reforms criminals. I know that is something you struggle to understand can be done...

Addicts should be responsible for their actions sme as every one else , this poor addicts BS is very weak .

" Kearney's previous convictions include assault, animal cruelty, robbery, theft, burglary, criminal damage and public order offences."

" 20-year-old Gary Kearney with an address at Conyngham Road in Crumlin pleaded guilty to cruelly torturing or terrifying an animal."

which crime are you saying is petty drug crime ? he is just a scumbag using addiction as a poor me ploy

novel idea why not confine him in a place where he cant get drugs ?

yes i still think that inmates should be made to contribute to the cost of their detention . its a fairly simple and logical idea really .

the fact is if this guy had these convictions in america then he would not be free to victimise other innocent people in that scene the american system is much better
    160 convictions remmber 160 do you understand that ? he didnt make a mistake or a few errors in judgment , he is a criminal who chose to be a criminal , he isnt stealing for food for his kids or to put a roof over thier head the state already does that , he is a criminal and the rest of us should not have to e at risk from him.

Norway are really rehabilitating the hell out andres isnt it ?

"A large proportion of the crime that is carried out in Norway is committed by criminals from overseas.[13] 34 percent of the Norwegian prison population are foreigners.[14] In his autobiography Undesirables, British criminal Colin Blaney has claimed that gangs of English thieves target the nation on account of the perception that its prisons are relatively comfortable compared to those of other countries.[15] Studies also indicate that this is one of the reasons that criminals from other parts of the world commit crime in Norway."
    should probably stop using norway as some sort of penal utopia . it doesn't match the facts

eviltwin wrote: »
    160 convictions and he's only 25. That's a hell of a criminal career. Add to that the stuff he inevitably didn't get done for too. Right little scumbag.

It was just 160 mistakes, I'm sure he has now learned his lesson.

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Devoted Dads don't take drugs.

nonsense opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

myshirt wrote: »

Or two bricks in another man's language. Try it and see how you get on, a lot of credit risk and bad debt risk in that space, challenging regulatory environment, and fierce competition.

That is an apt way of putting it.
    But...
    Credit risk is outdated by refusing credit to most unless they have a good history. It also ensures you don't have to go chasing bad debt, if you do though you price it into the product, as all good peddlers do.
    The unregulated environment does have it's challenges but the rewards far outweigh those, which is why we're going into it.
    Competition is not noteworthy once you're established, much the same as the AGS. Getting there is the issue but having saved over 65k gives us a good float to play around with and make numerous decisions that may not give a ROI

Advertisement