Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brake & Gear Cables

Options
  • 22-10-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

How often should brake & gear cables be changed or do they even need to be changed unless they are showing signs of wear?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mp31

goose06 wrote: »
    How often should brake & gear cables be changed or do they even need to be changed unless they are showing signs of wear?

I'd say if the gears and brakes are working well then leave the cables alone and just ride the bike ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would replace them if the cables or guides get anyway kinked or damaged.

Nothing worse than a sluggish gear change or irresponsible spongy brakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

goose06 wrote: »

AS often as required really. I replace gear cables when they start fraying or when shifting goes to sh!t. I don't think I've ever needed to replace a brake cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

I can't remember ever having to change a brake cable on a road bike but most of my cycling is done on the flat. MTB or urban cycling might be more severe on brake cables.
    Rear mech cable inners are a lighter guage than brake cables, get more use and generally fray at the bend in the shifter, rust at the bottom bracket or stick in the short outer cable at the rear mech. A quick cleaning with solvent will usually fix this. If upshifting can't be trimmed with the normal adjustments it is usually the cable inner needs cleaning or changing. I have had rear mech inner cables break at the shifter after as little as 4,000 km but they are not expensive to replace.

Advertisement