Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

first road bike.

• 20-10-2012 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

i already looked for advice on buying a road bike but have narrowed it down to three bikes. i am not going to be a racer as such but am interested in competing in a sprint triathlon next summer. the three bikes are
    1) jupiter spider : seems to be a well stocked bike for price of 650
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Jupiter-Spider-Road-Bike-Red-/261097776177

2) ktm 800 2012 lovely bike but doesnt have carbon fork. 799
    http://www.bikestore.ie/ktm-strada-800.html

3) a thomipson bike which is all shimano sora and also has a carbon fork and is priced at 939 but i cant find a link on internet.

at the moment im leaning towards ktm because of brand name and lbs reccommends, but really would value any input as the more i shop and review the more i confused i get and i really want to get out on a bike. is the jupiter a no go even though it seems very good value.
    thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭tritriagain

anyone there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

As you sugggest, KTM seems best of these 3 on brand name alone. If you are not in a hurry, and not depending on BTW scheme, there is some good value in second hand around this price range - should easily get a good brand, lightly used, alu frame, carbon forks and better (eg 105 ) components.
    Either way, best of luck with search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

i recently got myself a trek1.2, find it a very good bike. carbon front fork, tiagra gears, only thing some people might not like is the sora gears....but i love it....in saying that check your lbs, dont rule out buying second-hand.

thanks for replies. will not having carbon fork make much of a difference. sorry for being so ignorant in these matters but really am a complete novice

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shayr

Think I'd def stay away from the Jupiter - know a guy that has one and is having a lot of hassle with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

the ktm strada 800 is a good bike, thats what id pick out of the bikes you've listed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Triban 3 from decathlon in Belfast for 300 sterling is unbeatable my son got one its great and has a carbon fork

www.cyclingscotland.org/news/cycling-active-btwin-triban-3-review/
    3 Aug 2012 – Check out this months review of this fabulous bicycle from Decathlon. This fantastic bike sneaks in at an amazing price of £299 to scoop top ...

Even if it is the only one without a carbon fork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Mate of mine got that Triban 3 and swears by it. Looks like a real good spec for the price. And from where we are (Navan) Belfast is not a big deal. I had a go on it and while it wasn't set up for me it still felt pretty decent to ride.

im 6 ft 3 and 17.5 stone do i need a carbon fork or am i better sticking to alu. also found these 2 bikes to throw in the mix. http://www.spokes.ie/specialized-allez-sport-18-spd.html and http://www.kennysforbikes.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=84&category_id=162&flypage=flypage.pbv.v1.tpl&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2.
    but please do i need carbon. if i had a mind id be losing it at stage. i just want to get a bike. thank again for all the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

If I was paying the best part of a grand I'd want at least Tiagra (if not 105) shifting, a carbon fork and hopefully a decent set of wheels.

A carbon fork absorbs road vibrations and is extremely light so is well worth going for. With your weight you'll want a strongish set of wheels and I'd recommend good quality 25mm tyres. It might be best to keep back €100-150 from the bike purchase, buy good wheels and tyres (and maybe brakes) for €150-250, selling your stock ones for maybe €100 or so.

Of the bikes you mention, I'd like the Giant the best but it's also the most expensive. Do you want to buy locally, you'll get a better deal on the internet but then you lose out on the local support so you need to know exactly what you're after. Wiggle and ChainReaction do have some good deals on 2012 bikes but sizes are limited.

now thinking of paying extra fot ktm 1000 . it seems to have everything i need.except the wifes permission of course. http://www.kennysforbikes.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.v1.tpl&product_id=169&category_id=122&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

just found out ktm 1000 2012 is no longer available and 2013 has gone up 200 euro. aaaaaggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Have you checked out the sale that's going on with wiggle?

Some great bargains to be had there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

There's one 60 cm triban 3 in Belfast , buy it for the winter @ 300 sterling to get you going, it's more than up to the job for the money. Then when your spending bigger money next summer you'll know what you like and don't like.

Advertisement