Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bike - Frame Cut: Cannondale Bad Boy 8 2009 model

Options
  • 11-10-2009 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all, fellow Dublin cyclists, be warned!

My new bicycle was stolen in Glasnevin/Phibsboro area on 8/10/09 @8pm. It was locked beside sweeneys off licence on Finglas road. It was locked to a railing outside Jenkins funeral homes using a kryptonite lock on the top bar of the main frame.

From what I can make out on the CCTV from the off licence and the lock damage, there were three men, two stood by the road on lookout and as cover and one guy went at the lock. With the failed attempts on the lock he must have been using a handheld angle grinder of some sort. When he realised there was no chance, they must have cut the frame as the lock was still there but my bike was gone. It took less than 1 minute for them to get away, running across the street and into an Estate (Dalcassian Downs).

I never thought that they would cut the frame, why would they, it would ruin the bike. So be aware, I would recommend anyone with a decent bike use two good locks and definitely one on the wheel and frame so that they would have to cut the frame in 2 places and the wheel! I normally do but i was on my way home so only carried one and never thought they'd go at the frame. My bad!

Please can you keep an eye out for the bike, it is pretty unique so shouldn't be too hard to spot. It is all black, has a lefty front fork (fork is only on one side of wheel), on the back wheel there is an internal hub (no external gears). disk brakes, AND NOW it should have a soldered point somewhere on the top bar of the main frame! See photo.

The theft was reported to Mountjoy garda station, 01 - 6664600 so please call them or reply to this message if you see it around town.

I loved that bike and I hope the pond life who stole it get what they deserve eventually! I commute to work so I now need a new bike but I am not sure what to buy, if they are stupid enough to start cutting frames and they can get your bike in 1 min it is making me think twice about spending any real money!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Ah that sucks @ss big time.

Think I may have even admired your bike out shopping at one stage (I was at Tesco on Prussia St a while back and there was a Cannondale the same as the photo you have there).

Will keep an eye/ear out if the components appear for sale some where (can't see the frame featuring if they cut it somehow) - there won't be many lefty wheels out there second hand and the drivechain is similarly different than normal.

Any chance you had it covered under contents insurance etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DSM

thanks for your sympathy. It was on the house insurance so hopefully they will pay up but it will probably affect my premium. I can't see how they can sell the parts since they will only really work on another bad boy 8 and you can only get them from 2 suppliers in Ireland.

I also posted this message on gumtree and a guy sent me a mail today saying;

"hi, my name is XXX ,on my way home yesterday,saturday,two young lads had the very same bike they were skidding on the back tyre ,thats what drew my att the back tyre blew out with a bang ,anyway eneugh bout that ,the lads were bout 16 17 and they went into ornsbeys shop beside the bingo hall in cabra id say they are from around the area worth looking to bast of luck getting your bike back ,and the ba,,,,, that took it ,hope this was useful will keep my eyes peeled regards XXX"

Have passed info on to garda but wont hold my breath! They haven't even gone and looked at the CCTV in the off licence yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

That's really annoying. Bike theft must be the easiest thing in this country, it hardly seems like a crime at all because it isn't treated with much severity. 16/17 yr olds with portable angle grinders sounds like they do this thing more than just as a hobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

DSM wrote: »
    I can't see how they can sell the parts since they will only really work on another bad boy 8 and you can only get them from 2 suppliers in Ireland.

Actually the parts are generic enough and will work on a lot of other frames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 WriterPoint

Suspiciously low price and part of the tubing seems to be covered.

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/58/57229258.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

cannondale new need gone will take good cash offer (€200)

cannondale brand new condition no marks or damage
    got the bike for a present but ive no time for it at all
    as im busy workin and i have 2 cars
    this bike cost my friend around 1200euro

just want a quick sale tats all

this is a bargin 1 the best on gumtree

Wow... that's impressive... I didn't think you could sell hot goods so blatantly!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

doesn't look to be a lefty front fork though. deffo stolen either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

@ Mod's: Can this tread be locked and recent posts removed (no offence guys!) so the OP has the best chance of getting his bike back. If the seller comes across this thread the bike will disappear. I've PM'd him the link to the Gumtree ad.

72hundred wrote: »
    @ Mod's: Can this tread be locked and recent posts removed (no offence guys!) so the OP has the best chance of getting his bike back. If the seller comes across this thread the bike will disappear. I've PM'd him the link to the Gumtree ad.

it's not his bike. did you actually read my post?:confused:

Ah I see.... and I was so hopeful the guy would get his bike back... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

They could have easily swapped the fork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Just playing devils advocate here:

Are people here accusing sellers on gumtree on selling stolen goods!?

Surely Gumtree has a responsibility in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'll leave the thread open in case the OP wants to update, but I think investigations are best left to the Gardai. If you can't get them interested it's a bit of a waste of time. Where is this going - some kind of boardsie vigilante sting operation armed with cranksets and chain whips?

...but feel free to report to the advert site if you think the gear is nicked. :)

Gavin wrote: »
    They could have easily swapped the fork

No, they couldn't, or at least certainly not 'easily' and it would cost in the region of the cost they are now looking to sell the bike for, considering they've managed to get stock parts for the 08 version and apparently changed all the decals to the 08 version also. Wouldn't appear to be at all likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Damn nice bike all the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lumen wrote: »
    Where is this going - some kind of boardsie vigilante sting operation armed with cranksets and chain whips?

We can do that, AWESOME, I've always wanted to do something similar, maybe involving dancing in a West Side Story kinda way.

Sorry about the bike, hope you get it back, if I see it you'll be the first to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

CramCycle wrote: »
    We can do that, AWESOME, I've always wanted to do something similar, maybe involving dancing in a West Side Story kinda way.

Sorry about the bike, hope you get it back, if I see it you'll be the first to know.

You'll need to get the event sanctioned by the admins,as per the boards kit thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DSM

Hi guys,

thanks for the intel, I had a look at the gumtree ad. It does seem very suspicious, why would you sell it for 200?

But the bike in photo is not mine, at least not the frame (I am pretty sure the "cannondale" was in black paint for '09) or front fork (not a lefty). But then since the seller has not put any spec in the text maybe that photo is just off the web and not actually the one he is selling?

Might just let the gardai know but not expecting them to do anything.

Appreciate the community spirit!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Bluefoam wrote: »
    You'll need to get the event sanctioned by the admins,as per the boards kit thread...

Damn, I keep forgetting that. I'll PM them later and ask do they want the boards logo on the cranksets and the chain whips or will just on the kit we're wearing at the time be OK.

Maybe we could just get a re print of the jerseys with spoiler tags wrapped around the logo so no one knows who we are but they could find out if they wanted.

"In 2010 a crack commando unit of cyclists was banned from posting by the mods for a crime they haven't commited yet. These men promptly became trollers from a number of public free access wifi points in the city centre. Today, still wanted by the mods for ruining boards.ie good name, they survive as a nuisance to the Gardaí. If you have a problem(that you posted about), if no one else can help(or you didn't ask, you were just saying), and if you can provoke them, maybe you can accidentally hire: THE (BANNED) 410-TEAM."

This works alot better if you have the music behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

But then since the seller has not put any spec in the text maybe that photo is just off the web and not actually the one he is selling?

I doubt it, it doesn't look like a stock photo and there's no results for the photo on tineye.com (great site for finding where a photo came from). Just someone else's stolen bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Suspiciously low price and part of the tubing seems to be covered.

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/58/57229258.html

who buys their friend a £/€1200 bike :confused:

me@ucd wrote: »
    who buys their friend a £/€1200 bike :confused:

A good friend :) (with an angle grinder :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭alcyst

I stop into Sweeny's every now & then & they let me park the bike in the shop.
    Mine is a carbon 07 (06?) Bad Boy, feel your pain!
    Using a google images photo for the posting would be a standard tactic, might just be worth calling by to have a look! Bring someone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

Im sorry for your loss,
    But id never leave my kona locked up on the street.
    no matter if i had 10 locks
    i would however get a pile of ****e bike to get around on.
    a 100 euro jobby, that way im not cryen for weeks on end if it were to get nicked.
    i wonder if tracker will make a device for bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

It is a stock photo:
    http://lockies.blogspot.com/2008/06/cannondale-bad-boy-8-new-commuter.html

You could maybe ask him to send you pics of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Tails142

^ the plot thickens
    cannondale brand new condition no marks or damage
    got the bike for a present but ive no time for it at all
    as im busy workin and i have 2 cars
    this bike cost my friend around 1200euro

just want a quick sale tats all

this is a bargin 1 the best on gumtree
    Contact details

* Email: Click here to reply to this ad
    * Phone:<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Hi guys,
    But the bike in photo is not mine, at least not the frame (I am pretty sure the "cannondale" was in black paint for '09) or front fork (not a lefty). But then since the seller has not put any spec in the text maybe that photo is just off the web and not actually the one he is selling?

FYI, the badboy decals are black but reflective, so they show up white when a flash is used on a photo.

Even though that seems to be a stock picture I think its an 08/07 bb anyway - cant remember when they changed to the lefty fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

wow nice find colly, looks like the OP knows where to find his bike now

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

RoundTower wrote: »
    wow nice find colly, looks like the OP knows where to find his bike now

Or the advertiser was too lazy to take a picture and used Google image search.

Still, better hunt him down and rip out his fingernails just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lumen wrote: »
    Or the advertiser was too lazy to take a picture and used Google image search.

Still, better hunt him down and rip out his fingernails just in case.

Strikes me as odd to use google image search and take one of someone else's shot in a back garden. Why not just use the stock image if it's not your own image?

The price tag alone, along with the "my friend gave it to me, unwanted present" line is enough to make me suspicious. I don't know too many people handing out 1200 euro presents who would be too happy for you to show no interest and fob it off for 200.

Advertisement