Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quintana Roo Trueno 2005/6 model - value for money?

Options
  • 29-09-2006 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Mate of mine wants to by a tri bike, saw one for 1200e reduced from 2000e using mixed group set of shimano 105, tiagra & FSA parts. Will be using for weekend cycling 3 hour runs and building up to tri's. good value or not?

thanks
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have no knowledge of tri bikes but 2,000 sounds like a lot for that group set. So 1,200 may be a decent price but I would certainly question the "reduction."

British RRP on that bike seems to be 999 GBP so you could maybe take a reasonable undiscounted Irish price of 1,500.

Previous year's models were available for 599 GBP (edit: not available any more, but they were selling at that.)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 makospeed

thanks blorg, seems it not the great deal as it first appeared..thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

1,200 would seem to be 300 or so off what the RRP would be, so still a good discount, just not as good as they are suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

Also beware that Quintana Roos are tri / time trial specific. Their geometry is for speed and while they are designed to give a more comfortable transition to the run section of a tri, they are not good for long distance cycling (anything over 60km). Also, they will not be built for hill climbing.

I would say that the price quoted is also a little over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Genghis wrote:
    Also beware that Quintana Roos are tri / time trial specific. Their geometry is for speed and while they are designed to give a more comfortable transition to the run section of a tri, they are not good for long distance cycling (anything over 60km). Also, they will not be built for hill climbing.

I would say that the price quoted is also a little over the top.

Emmmmm ever hear of half ironman and ironman distance races? Just a *tiny* bit longer then 60km. Tri bikes are massively comfortable if you set them up properly and if set up proper you can stay in the position all day. They are ideally suited to long cycles.

That is provided you are on your own, they aren't suitable for riding in packs (although the one the OP is asking about is as the front end isn't a TT front end). Its true that they don't climb or handle in corners as well as road bikes but with a road front end (like the OP is talking about) they climb well.

Personally I would recommend getting a road bike for a little less and training on it. Stick clip on tri bars for the tris he wants to do and if he keeps it up get a tri bike then.

The QR the OP was asking about would be grown out of quite quickly I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

tunney wrote:
    Emmmmm ever hear of half ironman and ironman distance races? Just a *tiny* bit longer then 60km. Tri bikes are massively comfortable if you set them up properly and if set up proper you can stay in the position all day. They are ideally suited to long cycles.

Thanks for the information. I was speaking from personal perspective. I own a QR, and I have done an Ironman. I have also done substantial long distance training on standard geometry bikes. I think I am in a position to offer advice (though perhaps you are more qualified, I won't assume that you are not).

In spite of yourself, I think you agree with my general point - Tri Specific bikes (like Quintana Roo) are not favoured for long distance and hill climb events in either triathlon or cycling. If you are hell-bent on making it work, it isn't impossible, it just takes a lot more fine-tuning to get them right. There is a reason they are known as Time Trial cycles - you're not going to find them in any other part of a professional cycle race - or in most Ironman / Half Ironman events.

Advertisement