Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone successfully claimed off building insurance

Options
  • 22-10-2012 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Long story short. My bike was stolen from the underground car park in work. The car park has electronic gates and CCTV. There are also 2 security guards in the reception area monitoring the CCTV.

My bike was locked to the cycle stand in the car park and last Thursday we got an email to say to check our bikes. Unfortunately my bike has been taken and the lock cut.

We enquired if the building insurance will cover the theft and the response was that items in the car park at owners risk. There are no signs in the car park saying this and I suspect this is the typical 'brush-off' response.

So I was wondering if anyone has successfully claimed from a building insurance in a situation like this ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

You cant claim off your own house insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭instinct

I can but I would rather not.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,460 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You can't expect someone else's insurance to cover your loss. It wouldn't happen if a car was stolen

The security did not do their job. Why should I suffer because they were not securing the car park.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,460 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sue the company then - see where you get to. I'm sure they will have a sign saying "vehicles parked at owner's risk" mind

• Advertisement

thanks for your advice.

Has anyone else tried this and failed / succeed (not suing, claiming the building insurance)

You are not party to the buildings insurance and are therefore not in a position to claim (unless you own the building) - only the insured can which is why I suggested you claim against the company (not that I think you've a cat in hell's chance of being successful)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Beasty wrote: »
    Sue the company then - see where you get to. I'm sure they will have a sign saying "vehicles parked at owner's risk" mind

I know of someone who did sue a security company after theft of his property at work and they settled his costs. Might be worth a try if they don't have "parking at owners" risk signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Staff or 3rd party goods are not covered under the buildings policy.

The owner of the building has no insurable interest in your goods therfore cannot insure it.

Best claiming from your own insurance if the bike is worth alot. If not I think you have just been unlucky

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You'll also find that almost any insurance policy will contain an exception along the lines of:

"unless the loss is covered by some other insurance policy"

Which effectively means if you have insurance of your own covering the loss no other policy will pay out for the loss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

You are not party to the buildings insurance and are therefore not in a position to claim (unless you own the building) - only the insured can which is why I suggested you claim against the company (not that I think you've a cat in hell's chance of being successful)

This is not necessarily true. Third party claims are quite common. I can't comment on this case however without seeing the policy in question.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    You'll also find that almost any insurance policy will contain an exception along the lines of:

"unless the loss is covered by some other insurance policy"

Which effectively means if you have insurance of your own covering the loss no other policy will pay out for the loss.

Again, not necessarily true. You can claim for damage caused to your property say by impact (a car crashed into your house) off the driver's policy even when you have impact damage cover on your own policy.

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    This is not necessarily true. Third party claims are quite common. I can't comment on this case however without seeing the policy in question.
    They are certainly common with motor insurance, and presumably public liability insurances also, but buildings insurance?

They are certainly common with motor insurance, and presumably public liability insurances also, but buildings insurance?

Yes. If you have suffered say smoke damage as a result of a fire in a neighbouring property, or water damage as a result of an escape of water in a neighbouring property.....

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Yes. If you have suffered say smoke damage as a result of a fire in a neighbouring property, or water damage as a result of an escape of water in a neighbouring property.....
    Are claims structured as claims by the 3rd party directly against the insurance company, or does the insured have to make the claim to avoid being on the receiving end of a claim from the 3rd party?

Are claims structured as claims by the 3rd party directly against the insurance company, or does the insured have to make the claim to avoid being on the receiving end of a claim from the 3rd party?

Directly against the insurer. You obviously need to obtain the policy details from the insured. The insurer then needs to investigate the matter and advise their policy holder of the outcomes. The insured might have suffered their own damage (or not) but does not have to submit a claim themselves for a third party claim to be necessarily valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

Maybe the insured entity (whoever owns or runs the building) would be interested in avoiding anyone contacting their insurance company, as if something so difficult to explain as bikes being stolen when stored secured and locked in a parking with CCTV and dedicated security personnel has happened, the insurance company may feel compelled (or rather, will try to) significantly raise their premium, as some degree of security, that being CCTV and security personnel, seem to be of no use.

Put in other words, try to press the building owners or whoever pays the insurance policy bills , as they may want to settle your issue instead of having someone from the insurance company come to the building and reassess the risk (aka increase the premium).

Advertisement