Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to use track pump.

Options
  • 22-10-2012 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Bit simple really, but I got a track pump and I find it a bit tricky to use, do you have to loosen the screw end where it fits over the valve and tighten back up before pumping? Also is it normal to loose a good bit of air when removing the pump.

Cheers
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobile/MobileModels.aspx?ModelID=47804

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,593 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not sure about that specific pump, but some do attach by screwing the head tight over the valve. Were there any instructions?

You certainly will feel like you are losing air when removing the head, but I'm pretty sure it's actually air from within the pump itself

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

robertxxx wrote: »
    Bit simple really, but I got a track pump and I find it a bit tricky to use, do you have to loosen the screw end where it fits over the valve and tighten back up before pumping?
    No, you just need to twist the body of the valve adaptor approximately one quarter of a turn in the appropriate direction into the LOCK position. That creates a seal around the valve stem and you should then be able to inflate your tyre to the desired pressure.
    Also is it normal to loose a good bit of air when removing the pump.
    You mean when it goes PHHIISSSHHHHHT!! :D Yes, that's because the contents of the track pump's hose are at the same pressure as the inflated tyre. And that small reservoir of air then escapes when you disengage the pump from the valve.

Take a look at the attached PDF, hopefully it will be of some use to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Beasty wrote: »
    Not sure about that specific pump, but some do attach by screwing the head tight over the valve. Were there any instructions?

You certainly will feel like you are losing air when removing the head, but I'm pretty sure it's actually air from within the pump itself

no instructions included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

No, you just need to twist the body of the valve adaptor approximately one quarter of a turn in the appropriate direction into the LOCK position. That creates a seal around the valve stem and you should then be able to inflate your tyre to the desired pressure.

You mean when it goes PHHIISSSHHHHHT!! :D Yes, that's because the contents of the track pump's hose are at the same pressure as the inflated tyre. And that small reservoir of air then escapes when you disengage the pump from the valve.

Take a look at the attached PDF, hopefully it will be of some use to you.

that's great help cheers, hope I haven't damaged the seal.

Advertisement