Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion

Options
  • 16-09-2019 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

I had oil central heating and an immersion .

I got the heating zoned, so the hot water to the radiator is now its own zone. The electrician fitted a thermostat to the tank.

As a backup, i left the immersion but decided to put it on a timer (push once for 15mins, twice for 30 mins, 3 times for an hour)

Anyway.. The old switch immersion would happily stay on all day until all the hot water was airlocked.

With the timer... The heating element clicks loudly several times before switching off, all in the space of 45 seconds... If i run water, it will kick back on for another 45 seconds.. So a burst of hot water coming from the tap, followed by cold.

I think (I've no idea but tried to research it) it's because the timer was connected directly to the heating element rather than a switch in between. Or maybe it's just the thermostat getting freaked out by boiling water, but adjusting the thermostat doesnt seem to help.

It's a long time since i got the work done and would rather not deal with the electrician again but I'd like an idea of what's causing the problem.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,889 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

antix80 wrote:
    Any suggestions?

Sounds like the water is getting too hot. Thermostat is set too high or is faulty is my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

Op, just to confirm, what exactly is ‘clicking loudly’?

If it was a over temp stat on the immersion it wouldn’t click loudly, and if it did, it would not click again once water was ran, it would remain off until manually reset. Can you clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

The sound seems to be coming from the part that heats. It shakes and clicks. I think it's because of the timer rather than thermostat.
    Looks like I'll just need an electrician

• Registered Users Posts: 16,889 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

This happened because the thermostat has totally failed or its set too high. Adding a timer masked this but didn't cure it. The the thermostat isn't getting freaked out because of the boiling water. It's causing the water to boil. If stat is set correctly & working correctly then you won't have boiling water

While the timer should be installed before the switch its definitely not causing the water to boil. I wonder did installer connect both elements to the timer. This wouldn't be safe.

Advertisement