Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kerosene smell after fill

Options
  • 14-09-2019 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I had a fill of 500 litres of kerosene on Tuesday afternoon. Ever since there's been a strong smell of kerosene around that whole side of the house.

The whole system is brand new since March and we used 300l of oil with no issues since installation and ran the tank to empty. This smell is only present since the last fill on Tuesday.

Just wondering if this is normal or should I get a plumber out? It's a bunded tank so couldn't imagine it's a leak out of the tank itself, but guess it could be a break somewhere between the tank and boiler.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Any sign of spillage? Have you had a look around the pipeline from the tank to the house?

Kerosene smell is strong, even a cup full would stink up an area for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Couldn't see anything immediate, had a good look around. Ran the heating this evening for 2 hours and it was perfect. Potentially the guy who filled the tank spilled something but he didn't mention it if he did. I'll have to have a better look tomorrow to be sure. It's very strong in the immediate area though, and that's 3 full days now since the fill

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes even a bit of overspill from the hose or end of the nozzle might do it, very strong smell from the stuff. It should though leave a stain from wherever it has spilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Found the leak. Looks like where the pipe exits the oil tank and into the filter there's a very slow but steady drip. I've turned off the valve at the tank and put a container under the filter so that should stop it for now and gave the plumber a shout.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Found the leak. Looks like where the pipe exits the oil tank and into the filter there's a very slow but steady drip. I've turned off the valve at the tank and put a container under the filter so that should stop it for now and gave the plumber a shout.

Probably a plastic filter bowl on it. Change the bowl for a metal one. Buy a complete metal filter and discard the top and just use the bowl, filter and rubber ring.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
Advertisement