Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Americans? Opinions?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,223 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Wompa1 wrote: »
    A friend of mine ran his own charity in Phoenix (he now runs it in Oregon as he moved) helping out homeless people. The guy is a real version of Ned Flanders, mustache and all. He told me and I believe him that the cities hide the real number of those who die from exposure each year by labelling the deaths as OD or misadventure, the ones who either mentally or financially are not capable of getting out during the worst part of the year.

Hiding homeless statistics?
    Eoghan 'I have rolled up my shirt sleeves to express my seriousness dont expect any real action peasants' Murphy must have gone there on a fact finding mission.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Edgware wrote: »
    Of course Paddy is a wondeful ambassador when on foreign travels
    God the self loathing.

God the self loathing.

Take the sty out of your own eye...

Are Irish people so wonderful and perfect at home and abroad we are in a position to unload on other nationalities for anything other than minor foibles such as loud spanish students, or actual lawbreaking?

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Take the sty out of your own eye...

Are Irish people so wonderful and perfect at home and abroad we are in a position to unload on other nationalities for anything other than minor foibles such as loud spanish students, or actual lawbreaking?
    This thread and the Australia thread are full of idiocy - simplistic assessments of millions of unknown people. Yeah certain nationalities can have certain tendencies but the people overall are a lot more nuanced.

Ditto when people say such things about their own people. Of course Irish people aren't wonderful - unfortunately a lot do act the gobshyte abroad - but why refer to us as "paddy"? And what about all the Irish people who *don't* act the bollox abroad? I don't, the person who calls us "paddy" doesn't, you don't.

And I don't get this "we can't criticise" thing - why not? We aren't representative of the entire nation, we don't share responsibility just because of sharing a nationality. Once we as individuals don't behave in the way that's being criticised, of course we can criticise that behaviour - whether by Irish people or others. And if certain American folk are prone to behaving in a certain way abroad, and someone Irish criticises it, saying "yeah well Irish people do such and such" doesn't actually counter anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Popeleo wrote: »
    Puerto Rico and Trumponia (formerly Iran)?

Puerto Rico and.. Mexicania?

This thread and the Australia thread are full of idiocy - simplistic assessments of millions of unknown people. Yeah certain nationalities can have certain tendencies but the people overall are a lot more nuanced.

Ditto when people say such things about their own people. Of course Irish people aren't wonderful - unfortunately a lot do act the gobshyte abroad - but why refer to us as "paddy"? And what about all the Irish people who *don't* act the bollox abroad? I don't, the person who calls us "paddy" doesn't, you don't.

And I don't get this "we can't criticise" thing - why not? We aren't representative of the entire nation, we don't share responsibility just because of sharing a nationality. Once we as individuals don't behave in the way that's being criticised, of course we can criticise that behaviour - whether by Irish people or others. And if certain American folk are prone to behaving in a certain way abroad, and someone Irish criticises it, saying "yeah well Irish people do such and such" doesn't actually counter anything.

It depends.

Criticising things and behaviour - by all means, if you are holding everyone to that standard.

Collectively criticising a nationality or country without acknowledging our own failings in that area or where there is an implicit suggestion we are better than X - not on. The criticism has no standard or authority as far as I am concerned.

Puerto Rico and.. Mexicania?

Is the Uk not the 51st state? I think I saw that in a movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Is the Uk not the 51st state? I think I saw that in a movie.

True, true. 53 states then. Constitution needs another amendment.

It depends.

Criticising things and behaviour - by all means, if you are holding everyone to that standard.

Collectively criticising a nationality or country without acknowledging our own failings in that area - not on. The criticism has no standard or authority as far as I am concerned.
    Wouldn't say "our own" because we aren't all responsible for the behaviour of the gobshyte actors. Only they are. Holding another nation responsible for the behaviour of some is deemed racism/bigotry/xenophobia.

But I doubt there's anyone (sane/intelligent) who wouldn't hear a word against Irish people carrying on like eejits abroad yet criticise the same behaviour by others.

On the flipside, it makes no sense either to say "you can't criticise such behaviour by members of other nationalities, because members of your own nationality behave in that way too."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

I have to admit I would have a slightly negative perception about America and Americans.

Reading this thread makes me realise we are definitely throwing stones in a glass house here.

It's true that the American state interferes throughout the world to "protect" their interests treating nations like sh*t in the process.

What about the way people here have been treated by those in positions of power in decades gone by?
    - child abuse by the clergy.
    - A large number of Fetal remains found in a Septic tank in Tuam.
    - The Garda corruption uncovered and subsequent treatment of McCabe.
    - The magdalene laundries.
    - The smear test f*** ups.
    - The scandal surrounding charitable organisations misusing public funding (thinking of console here but there were a lot of other organisations also)
    - Potentially paying 2 billion on a children's hospital located on some of the most expensive land in the country which 3/4's of the countries population will have to commute long distances to get to.
    - The poor excuse for houses that were allowed to be built during the boom.

Also as a side point I once got talking to a Dublin person who had a bee in their bonnet about the western rail corridor between Limerick and Athenry being opened. I'd like to remind similar minded Dublin people that 4 million was spent on placing a massive spike in the middle of O'Connell Street and another 250 thousand on putting a massive clock in the Liffey that didn't work.

Some of the lowlights of the bull**** that goes on here, I'm sure I could list a lot more!

Also as a side point I once got talking to a Dublin person who had a bee in their bonnet about the western rail corridor between Limerick and Athenry being opened. I'd like to remind similar minded Dublin people that 4 million was spent on placing a massive spike in the middle of O'Connell Street and another 250 thousand on putting a massive clock in the Liffey that didn't work.

I agree entirely with your main point re: "throwing stones in a glass house."

But your side point has me a bit confused... did you actually ask the person if they thought the money should have been spent on the Spire?
    It seems to imply there should be a quid pro quo of a certain amount of money wasted per county. Spending money on a rail corridor either makes sense, or it doesn't. Spending money on a monument in capital city either makes sense, or it doesn't. I don't see any logic to, well we wasted money on the Spire we must waste money on an unused rail line.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

It seems to imply there should be a quid pro quo of a certain amount of money wasted per county. Spending money on a rail corridor either makes sense, or it doesn't. Spending money on a monument in capital city either makes sense, or it doesn't. I don't see any logic to, well we wasted money on the Spire we must waste money on an unused rail line.

Ya I guess I got into a bit of a rant with the side point. It was said in a tone to suggest tax payers money was being wasted down the country.

In future the rail corridor could be upgraded or used more with the whole climate change issue. It may not be profitable but it is generating revenue. The spire has no observation deck and therefore doesn't generate any revenue and never will. It continues to cost the state money in maintenance but that discussion is off topic.

This is the maintenance cost as of 2012:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/selfcleaning-spires-upkeep-costs-hit-2-1m-26856389.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Clowns! There I said it!
    Clowns living in a bubble that have no respect for any other nation.
    They don’t even know how many stars are on the poxy flag for god sake. And 30% of them believe leprechauns exist. And they also believe chocolate milk comes from brown cows.
    Sorry but how the hell are they the most powerful country in the world? Has to be because of numbers! No way it’s intelligence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

And 30% of them believe leprechauns exist.

Well maybe if you guys didn't have those little leprechaun houses in your front garden we wouldn't believe it :D

And 30% of them believe leprechauns exist.

Only since they upgraded their radar system, their technology is just more advanced at detecting near light speed apparitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I really don't get their culture of "working their ass off" doing 2 or 3 jobs at a time for some fat fcuker who doesn't lift a finger from one week to the next and thinking because they worked their ass of for said fat ****er for a couple of years and managed to improve their miserable impoverished life some bit they suddenly think they are living in a marvellous country altogether.

Clowns! There I said it!
    They don’t even know how many stars are on the poxy flag for god sake. And 30% of them believe leprechauns exist. And they also believe chocolate milk comes from brown cows.
    Sorry but how the hell are they the most powerful country in the world? Has to be because of numbers! No way it’s intelligence!
    Meanwhile that rant about hundreds of millions of unknown people is the height of intelligence/critical thinking.

And which ones exactly don't know the number of stars on the flag or believe chocolate milk comes from brown cows? Be more specific. Also where does that stat about believing in leprechauns come from?

Don't believe everything you read - particularly if casting aspersions on others' intelligence.

I have to admit I would have a slightly negative perception about America and Americans.

Reading this thread makes me realise we are definitely throwing stones in a glass house here.

It's true that the American state interferes throughout the world to "protect" their interests treating nations like sh*t in the process.

What about the way people here have been treated by those in positions of power in decades gone by?
    - The scandal surrounding charitable organisations misusing public funding (thinking of console here but there were a lot of other organisations also)
    - Potentially paying 2 billion on a children's hospital located on some of the most expensive land in the country which 3/4's of the countries population will have to commute long distances to get to.

Some of the lowlights of the bull**** that goes on here, I'm sure I could list a lot more!
    Shur we can criticise both. Unless directly responsible for the issues in Ireland it's not throwing stones from a glasshouse. Sharing nationality does not mean sharing responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

God the self loathing.

Well deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Their government hates them.
    Decent folk everywhere.

• Advertisement

Well deserved.
    As an Irish person I disagree with anti Irish shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

As an Irish person I disagree with anti Irish shyte.

And some on this thread think Americans are assholes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

When I was over in New England on holiday a few years ago, I found the people there to be very nice.

NSAman wrote: »
    And some on this thread think Americans are assholes?
    I don't know who you're aiming that at but making a negative assessment of millions of people as a whole is idiotic bigotry no matter what nation. And if it's your own, there's something really arrogant about it - "everyone except me".

Now obviously there are certain traits more particular to certain countries than others, and some countries of course have terrible human rights records, but the millions of ordinary individuals who don't get a say in that, are as nuanced as any human being.

I think among all countries their culture is among the least conducive to good mental health. I think it is a psychological wasteland. Maybe to them it is the norm though, but from the outside looking in, the culture shock is overwhelming and makes me feel depressed or something. I think it's because we are duped into expecting America to be and Americans to think the same way as us for some reason (maybe exposure to America on tv and a sense it is a default culture of sorts?). I wonder if Americans living in Ireland would feel affected by the differences in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Out of curiousity, which are the extra two you're bundling in?

Why do so many Irish people think it has 52? It's an amazingly common misconception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Why do so many Irish people think it has 52? It's an amazingly common misconception.

A state for every week in the year. Secretly they wish to go on a year long holiday there and spend a week in each one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

Great post. We need more of this sort of thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Meanwhile that rant about hundreds of millions of unknown people is the height of intelligence/critical thinking.

And which ones exactly don't know the number of stars on the flag or believe chocolate milk comes from brown cows? Be more specific. Also where does that stat about believing in leprechauns come from?

Don't believe everything you read - particularly if casting aspersions on others' intelligence.

Chocolate milk, or at least, the milk used in chocolate milk, probably does come predominantly from brown cows in the US, actually. The traditional Fresian Black/white cow is much less common in the US. Of course, that also means that white milk also predominantly comes from brown cows, but I don't know if anyone has done a survey on white milk sourcing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Americans ? Same as everybody else

Some are incredibly intelligent, honest and ethical, some are the exact opposite, and some are everything else in between.

I do think nationalities should sort out their own faults first before they go pontificating about others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 TheTravelWife

Angel1971 wrote: »
    What preconceived ideas do you have about Americans?
    Positive?
    Negative?
    What's the first thing you think of if you know you'll be meeting someone from the US?

Some are incredible people, so incredible that I married one. Others are a waste of oxygen. So, pretty much like men in Ireland and every other country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Tony EH wrote:
    But there are also the folk you'll meet who you could talk to for hours about various subjects and a lot of Americans will have an opinion on everything and won't be loathed to speak it. You can head into a bar in most towns and cities and strike up a conversation over a drink and nobody will think you're mental. This is one of the biggest differences that I've found between America and Europe. People are generally eager to talk and nearly everyone will want to know where you're from, what you do and all that bollocks.

This. Give me Americans any day in this situation over the nauseatingly cliquey Irish. Gift of the gab when it suits them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Yanks are fine in general. Sure you get the loudmouthed annoying one who thinks they know it all some of the time (just like our own) but most of them are grand. The bottom line is without them nobody would give even the slightest shíte about us.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Clowns! There I said it!

Load of ****e, I’m here nearly 10 years and haven’t come across anyone who would believe or ask a question like this. Also they are very patriotic and defiantly can tell you how many stars are on the flag.

Advertisement