Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you "Eat" whilst you shop ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

il gatto wrote:
    I don't care what the legalities of it are, or if the shop management have a no problem with it or not. I don't even consider doing it. Have some bloody will otpower. You'll be outside in a couple of minutes. Eat it then ffs.
    If you're blood sugar levels have reached such a critical level standing in the line at the checkout for a couple of minutes, eat the chocolate, then go to a doctor immediately. You're diabetic. Otherwise there's no reason to do it, other than you just feel like something to eat "now, now, now" to quote a five year old.
    (also, I see alot more women do it then men. why is this?)
    but then if you intend to pay for it there's no reason not do it. why should i will myself not to eat something that i'm going to pay for in 5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

petes wrote:
    Well eating the chocolate bar deprives the legitimate owner of the bar (the shop) of its use
    yes it does, exactly as it would have done if you had paid for it before eating it instead of afterwards. the problem only arises if you don't intend to pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonko

MarinoMark wrote:
    Apart from free samples,taste of soup/wine in the supermarket do you eat their food while going down the aisles ? I specalise in open or torn packets.
    Today at my local supermarket, There was a box of celebrations split open on the shelf to which I ate about 10. Around the corner in the cheese section was a torn open net of babybel cheese (The ones covered in red wax) I ate about 3 of those. I taste the fruit too. :o
    The emoticon at the end of this post made it for me. Good show like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Never. Unless of course freebies are handed out:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i would not do it myself but i would have no problem with someone else doing it, especially parents doing it to keep their children quiet/happy/fed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

but then if you intend to pay for it there's no reason not do it. why should i will myself not to eat something that i'm going to pay for in 5 minutes

You don't really have a right to though. You can't hop into a car at a garage and drive off because you intend to pay for it later. And you can't start opening some girls bra in the pub because you fully intend to give her one should you get lucky :D
    Seriously though, does it take that much will power to not eat a Twix? I would have thought it's easy enough to wait till you actually own it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Geek Nose

il gatto wrote:
    You can't hop into a car at a garage and drive off because you intend to pay for it later.

Totally different, because you're driving off and leaving the premises. That's a sh*t ananolgy - try to come up wth something better.

If you're blood sugar levels have reached such a critical level standing in the line at the checkout for a couple of minutes, eat the chocolate, then go to a doctor immediately. You're diabetic.

Nobody used blood-sugar levels as an excuse for doing it - try another angle.

I do it because I feel like it, and you can't stop me. The only way I'll stop and apologise, is if a store manager asked me kindly to stop. Until THE OWNERS OF THE FOOD have an objection, then I'll keep doing it - I have never been asked to stop by any shop staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Incidently, I wonder how many people are going to select their live turkey from the free-range farm-shop tommorrow or Friday?:D

Lol! My friend owns a farm & is fattening up our bird, Erika as she is called, as we speak! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

yes it does, exactly as it would have done if you had paid for it before eating it instead of afterwards. the problem only arises if you don't intend to pay
    But would you go into the store and start drinking some beers before you got to the till. You do fully intend to pay for them when you get to the till of course, but by you drinking them before hand to remove the store owners right to refuse to sell them to you for whatever reason. Admittedly I cannot see many reasons that someone may ever be refused the chance to by a bar of chocolate, but the store still does not have to sell you any item if they don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I wouldn't do it myself, either with stuff I've brought in or from the floor. I was in lidl last week and there was a gang of teenagers eating smelly vinegar chips and it would turn your stomach. The manager put them out as they don't let you eat on the shop floor seemingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The stomach is a pretty good hiding spot when you're out shop-lifting, but a warning: The security tags still work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Usually no, but on a few occasions I've just been so thirsty that I opened a bottle of water and drank it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Nope.

I'm out shopping for bandanas, and 13 years whizz by in an Instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

do you do this in your going out pyjamas op?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

silverharp wrote: »
    do you do this in your going out pyjamas op?
    He hasn't been seen (in that account, at least) in 9 years. I reckon he got caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I used to go out with a girl who would scoop up a handful of cashew nuts from the loose nuts bin in lidl and walk around the shop eating them. The first time she did it I thought it was a bit cheeky but a one time thing and laughed it off. She did this every time we were in there after that, it was ridiculous, she'd head straight for the nuts and munch her way around the shop. I stopped going to lidl with her.
    Actually I stopped going everywhere with her, haven't spoken to her in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Jesus !! 2006 was 13 years ago!!!
    The speed of time lately is ****ing scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I used to go out with a girl who would scoop up a handful of cashew nuts from the loose nuts bin in lidl and walk around the shop eating them. The first time she did it I thought it was a bit cheeky but a one time thing and laughed it off. She did this every time we were in there after that, it was ridiculous, she'd head straight for the nuts and munch her way around the shop. I stopped going to lidl with her.
    Actually I stopped going everywhere with her, haven't spoken to her in a few years.

Memories I used to go to the confectionary stall take a big bag and scoop; fill it right up well beyond it’s capacity and just walk right off :D still got all my teeth too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

No. I dont eat while pushing my shopping trolley around, that would be weird unless i actually missed breakfast or something, in this case i might scoff a banana in the car beforehand.

I do take sips of say a small water or coke bottle though and just put it on the belt with rest of the shopping

Id just find it weird to see a grown adult eating some of the stuff walking around shopping.

Fine for a child if needed to be 'bribed' or something ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Do you "whistle" while you work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Memories I used to go to the confectionary stall take a big bag and scoop; fill it right up well beyond it’s capacity and just walk right off :D still got all my teeth too.

Or weigh it up and throw a few more sweets in it before you pay :)

Two of my friends actually got in dept with the ice-cream man because they ordered about a tenners worth of sweets from him, cans of coke and everything and just ran off without paying.

If we were out when he'd come around, hed stick his fist out the window like he was going to punch them :pac: He wouldn't even serve me once because he knew I was getting things for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Must admit I never fully understood those things the way they’re laid out. It’s like yeah kid help yourself :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

13 years, people........

And no, I dont steal while i shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

I think it's ok to have the odd grape or something if you're buying it when you reach the till anyway.

Most people are probably spending 400-500 in their supermarket a month so it'd be silly to make a big deal of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Wish it was 2006 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I work in a supermarket, I'm actually kind of embarrassed for customers when I have to scan their empty packaging at the till. They have no shame though! Would be mortified to do it myself. I just don't think it's polite to walk around eating while doing your shopping ... especially since it always seems to be crumby/drippy/messy food, so you're leaving others having to clean up after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

Saw a story this morning in the us where a woman opened a cake in a shop ate half and wouldn't pay for it cops were called.

Advertisement