Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Preferred Adverbs

• 09-04-2019 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

Though ''preferred pronouns'' have not made such a huge inroads here ...yet, a friend in the US tells me they absolutely infest public fora there, from the local environmental committee all the way up to campuses and government etc. She had the idea of moving towards Preferred Adverbs as an alternative. I love this!

So, for now my Preferred Adverbs are Deliciously and Astonishingly (though I may add Marvellously later today....it depends how I feel.) :)

What are your Preferred Adverbs, fellow citizens?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The Jaysus.

I hope all of these people die off before they have a chance to spawn.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

JayZeus wrote: »

I willingly hope all of these amazing people marvellously die off before they have a wonderful chance to magically spawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Zorya wrote: »
    Though ''preferred pronouns'' have not made such a huge inroads here ...yet, a friend in the US tells me they absolutely infest public fora there, from the local environmental committee all the way up to campuses and government etc. She had the idea of moving towards Preferred Adverbs as an alternative. I love this!

So, for now my Preferred Adverbs are Deliciously and Astonishingly (though I may add Marvellously later today....it depends how I feel.) :)

Can you put those in a sentence please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

You could actually just offer your lovely preferred adverbs?

So far,

Bitingly
    Suspiciously
    Sarcastically
    Doom-sayingly :(
    and well okay ...Creatively :o

• Advertisement

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Can you put those in a sentence please?

Zorya deliciously / astonishingly / marvellously created a thread on boards. What's not to like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

JayZeus wrote: »

Dont laugh, those people will be expected to pay our pensions..... however I feel my pension is going to be paid through the medium of poetry and interpretive dance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Adjectives to describe the kind of thread where people import innocuous things from far, far away to get upset about?

Tedious

Repetitive

Asinine

B0jangles wrote: »
    Adjectives to describe the kind of thread where people import innocuous things from far, far away to get upset about?

Tedious

Repetitive

Asinine

I deliciously like your commitment to the idea, but this innocuous thing has yet to be created so cannot be imported, in fact I astonishingly would like to make it a new trend. And I am marvellously not upset about it, I astonishingly/deliciously like the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was speaking to a US recruiter a few weeks back, who said that his preferred pronouns were "him & he", and asked me if I was happy to be called "him & he". Naturally I don't get upset about this stuff, it's a very minor thing which shows a shred of respect to people who might have a different perspective on life and struggle because of it.

Of course, I responded in true Irish fashion, "Nah, I'm not fussy". And there was a short pause. He didn't say anything, but I'm pretty sure he thought I was taking the piss out of the question ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    I was speaking to a US recruiter a few weeks back, who said that his preferred pronouns were "him & he", and asked me if I was happy to be called "him & he". Naturally I don't get upset about this stuff, it's a very minor thing which shows a shred of respect to people who might have a different perspective on life and struggle because of it.

Of course, I responded in true Irish fashion, "Nah, I'm not fussy". And there was a short pause. He didn't say anything, but I'm pretty sure he thought I was taking the piss out of the question ��*♂️

Naturally and Irishly, then, with perhaps Pretty as an outlier? Can I put you down for that?

edit - prettily, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Zorya deliciously / astonishingly / marvellously created a thread on boards. What's not to like?

I am unsurprisingly unconvinced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Not an adverb thingy but it really annoys me when I hear English middle class mid-20s types who say "to be fair" (pronounced 'to be feh') all the time.

E.g: "I got the Trans-Siberian as far as Vladivostok, and to be feh, it was unbelievable, to be feh."

Usually a couple of years out of Durham or St Andrews University (too thick to go to Oxbridge) and are trainee management consultants placed in some spiv industry in London. Vote Labour for now, but will morph into Tories overnight on their 30th birthday. Go surfing in Cornwall during the summer, and skiing in St. Mortiz with the guys from uni in the winter.

I needed to get that off my chest.

Yurt! Preferred Adverbs - Scathingly, Expressively. Perhaps even Accurately.
    Welcome, Yurt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Of course, I responded in true Irish fashion, "Nah, I'm not fussy". And there was a short pause. He didn't say anything, but I'm pretty sure he thought I was taking the piss out of the question ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Poor guy is probably legally obliged to say this, otherwise he might "misgender" someone which is an act of violence. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Scrumptiously, you may call me "Him & He" if I can call you a cunnox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Poor guy is probably legally obliged to say this, otherwise he might "misgender" someone which is an act of violence. :rolleyes:
    A lad that I work with has "(Pronouns:He/Him)" in his e-mail sig. Head-wreckingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Surely you mean adjectives? Makes a bit more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Well done, op. That'll marvelously show 'em.

antix80 wrote: »
    Surely you mean adjectives? Makes a bit more sense.

No. Astonishingly I don't. Adverbs are more fun.

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    Scrumptiously, you may call me "Him & He" if I can call you a cunnox.

Scrumptiously is an enviable adverb, but to pair it with deliciously might be overkill for me. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Yurt! wrote: »
    Not an adverb thingy but it really annoys me when I hear English middle class mid-20s types who say "to be fair" (pronounced 'to be feh') all the time.

E.g: "I got the Trans-Siberian as far as Vladivostok, and to be feh, it was unbelievable, to be feh."

Usually a couple of years out of Durham or St Andrews University (too thick to go to Oxbridge) and are trainee management consultants placed in some spiv industry in London. Vote Labour for now, but will morph into Tories overnight on their 30th birthday. Go surfing in Cornwall during the summer, and skiing in St. Mortiz with the guys from uni in the winter.

I needed to get that off my chest.

To be fair, to be fair is also used here in the Emerald Isle. Cork people use it a lot. Don’t mind it myself but I never use it.

Advertisement