Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who lie and propagate urban legends

Options
  • 28-05-2017 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭

Have you ever read something or heard people tell you something you know is untrue and yet they keep to their story even when you point out that is isn't possibly true?
    I was recently out with a friend and he brought along a guy he worked with. Nice enough guy but he proceeded to tell me there was a pub opening in a particular building. He explained how it was used for a particular company before and now was going to be a massive pub. The thing is I worked for the company and the building was not where he was claiming but behind the building he claimed was going to be his pub. The building is also an electrical substation and was not being made into a pub. He insisted all the same that he knew this all for sure.

I had somebody insist that this happened to them.
    http://www.snopes.com/rumors/warning.asp

I also had a guy tell me how the company I worked for operated and were fleecing people. None of what they said was true and he didn't know I worked there. When I explained how he was wrong he claimed I was just covering up for the company because I worked there.

What do these people get out of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

sociopathy?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,075 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The internet has made this problem massively worse.

Its full of lies that many people take as gospel.

To name one example, I have heard from various friends and work colleagues when discussing the Madeline McCann case, that her dad is/was on the sex offenders register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

What about the one with the welfare girl and the buggy in town?

Not been in Ireland long enough to know what it's about. Anyone explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭paulbok

jeanjolie wrote: »

It was stolen by a teacher on a bicycle who was also claiming the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

jeanjolie wrote: »

The buggy has built in WiFi and unlimited data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Yeah, that bugs me. People here have been doing it on the "Worst kid's name you ever heard" thread, claiming to have known an African woman in Dublin who named her kid Female after the information on the hospital bracelet, or someone who named their kid Enamel after what they read on a paint can.

No, you didn't. You know that story isn't true, so why bother posting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

The whole Bono/Bruce Springsteen one. I've heard that from so many people who swear it happened their friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BuyersRemorse

It's very annoying, because it subtracts credibility from real life events, such as the faked moon landings and George Bush ordering 9/11.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,075 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Add to this all the false nonsense you see on FB to stir people up.

You often see photos of Dail/Westminster debates which are meant to show a full house for discussing their pay increases, but about 10 people in for a debate on the homeless crisis.

Most of the time, the photos are fake and not from the actual debates, but hey it gets the FB crowd angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Its true. Its true man. Everything I say is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

People will always believe what they want to hear rather than what they need to hear.

Advertisement