Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving company/Van

Options
  • 01-08-2019 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any experience on using removal companies or "man with van" type services for moving house?

We have a small amount of furniture - sofa, 2 armchairs, baby cot and king mattress to move.
    Any rough idea on prices for a job like this? I'd imagine a large transit would do the job. No assembly required but maybe a bit of lifting. South Dublin to North County Dublin if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

You'll get all sorts of mad quotes from removal companies. You could hire a van, way cheaper this way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Whats the general quote ranges?
    Good tip on renting a van.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

I was quoted 660 euro for a move from one estate in Lucan to another nearby in the same locality.
    You won't really know until you ring around.
    In the end, I hired a van at a fraction of the cost and moved at my leisure.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

If you do still want a company instead of doing it yourself, I'd recommend JIT removals. Had an office move a few months back and these guys were by far the cheapest of quotes, but additionally they were very flexible and accommodating when it came to doing the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

jomalone14 wrote: »
    I was quoted 660 euro for a move from one estate in Lucan to another nearby in the same locality.

Christ that's obscene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lots of Man with Van ads on Adverts. Used one last week, cost was €70 for about two hours work and approx 80km of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Lots of Man with Van ads on Adverts. Used one last week, cost was €70 for about two hours work and approx 80km of driving.

660 was crazy expensive, but if someone offered me to drive my stuff 80km away, or even 40 km, and work on it for 2 hours I would feel either sorry or suspicious with 70 euro bill.

Definitely wouldn't expect that guy to be insured properly and if things went wrong, buy new stuff ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

wonski wrote: »
    660 was crazy expensive, but if someone offered me to drive my stuff 80km away, or even 40 km, and work on it for 2 hours I would feel either sorry or suspicious with 70 euro bill.

Definitely wouldn't expect that guy to be insured properly and if things went wrong, buy new stuff ;)

He initially wanted 80 and I haggled to 70. I got five quotes and a couple were as high as 120 for two hours work, two more in 90 quid range. Lad that did it was a proper mover, not a Transit van but a full sized van with tail lift at the back.

I think its a good idea to find someone in your own area or in the area the move is going to. I had one quoting silly money because they were driving 40 or 50km just to get to the start of the job, hence much higher prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Try Anyvan.ie. You enter in the items you want to move and you get quotes based on that, from a few different companies/man with a van types. We got the most competitive quotes from them recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

I needed to get some stuff from IKEA a few weeks ago and used Gocar.ie.
    €12/hr for rental of a Transit type van.

Worked out great. No hassle service.

Registered my Luas card too, so next time I just use that to unlock a booked vehicle.

€24 for 2 hrs rental as opposed to €45 ikea delivery and waiting.

Only thing is that you do the loading /unloading and driving yourself. But much easier experience than renting from Enterprise or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There’s a boardsie called Cormie who has a removal company.
    Called “Van Tasks”.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Try Anyvan.ie. You enter in the items you want to move and you get quotes based on that, from a few different companies/man with a van types. We got the most competitive quotes from them recently.

seconding this.

when i moved from Connemara to west Mayo I had quotes from there. One was e650.. Another e125. The e125 was excellent .

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

Graces7 wrote: »
    seconding this.

when i moved from Connemara to west Mayo I had quotes from there. One was e650.. Another e125. The e125 was excellent .

Grace could you PM or reply with their details please? Have a move in Galway soon. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Enterprise will pick you up and drop you off and cost us about 35 quid to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

portcrap wrote: »
    Grace could you PM or reply with their details please? Have a move in Galway soon. Thanks :)

ah it was all on my yahoo mail that got blocked but I am sure you will find on the site. he had a uhaul trailer and insisted on charging only e25 an hour.. had his son helping him. This was 2 years ago.

Good luck with it

Advertisement